https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #1607
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Interesting setup and even more interesting roadbook holder ...
For a sec it looked like an Aurora with the black scheme! I'll give the chief constructor a ring tomorrow, he can debrief me on what it is exactly...

PS: Let's hope those darn new RNS units get on there in the future. I currently have all their units to make them "Dakar ready" with some software mods, damn these guys are picky

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #1608
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post
For a sec it looked like an Aurora with the black scheme! I'll give the chief constructor a ring tomorrow, he can debrief me on what it is exactly...

PS: Let's hope those darn new RNS units get on there in the future. I currently have all their units to make them "Dakar ready" with some software mods, damn these guys are picky
That is a quick response and a an even quicker insight view. I had plans to go to Milan but with all the work here it waa almost impossible for me... Have some friends taking photos over there to see what's new as well.

Me too, I thought, what the heck? When did I send one there?
It seems that their racing setup is quite different from the selling version. Coma run a different mounting bracket with his classic MD and full RNS. May be they do not want customers to get the top versions , satelite teams and the lot .

I am sure Kisca has done a great job, but the warning lights on the RB cover?

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 02:50 AM
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:11 AM   #1609
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
I am sure Kirsca has done a great job, but the warning lights on the RB cover?
Never mind that, how the hell do you open that thing? Maybe by sliding the clear part off sideways?
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:34 AM   #1610
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1968 View Post
Never mind that, how the hell do you open that thing? Maybe by sliding the clear part off sideways?
From my understanding it has hinges on the top. You open the black part. This black part should have only the top parts of the led lights (the orange plastic, the red plastic etc.) The leds themselves are probably fixed in the base. Then you take off the clear plastic which is the ''cover'' if you like.

Its capacity looks to be extremely small from the distance of the two shafts (similar to MD if I may say) and the transmission seems to be on the right side similar to the F2r. The protection on the right side it a nice addition. Kisca (spelling mistake before....) has done some very clever designs in the past so I would love to see the interior and see how the transmission is designed and thought.

From my understanding, we start to see a different approach in Rally racing. All parts are fixed with the ''no accident'' approach. From loads of photos that I have gathered over the last year and a half, most accidents result in the roadbook cover to be separated from the unit. Now, this may not be separated, but you can face two problems.
One, is that (if our understanding that there are hinges is correct...) the hinges could be damaged and then you may not be able to open it. The second is that if the cover is separated then, no LEDs are there to help you...

From the pic below, no toggles are available on the tower, at least where they used to be... Even the KTM standard switch is on the handlebars where it used to be under the mounting bracket.

Very different from what we have seen until now, I am puzzled as to why the KTM guys did not run these in Morocco, may be they were not ready yet? May be they want to stick with what they know it works?

More from Tony soon

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 11-07-2013 at 04:29 AM
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #1611
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:

Very different from what we have seen until now, I am puzzled as to why the KTM guys did not run these in Morocco, may be they were not ready yet? May be they want to stick with what they know it works?

More from Tony soon
Well, the official word is that they hope to put these on their (customer) bikes in the future. It's obviously their own RB model, made together with their inhouse carbon fibre freaks (couldn't get more info). He laughed when I mentioned that nobody knew what exact model it was For the time being it's a prototype and they will not run it in Dakar, still sticking to MD until further tests have been done next year post-Dakar (maybe Desert Challenge?).

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #1612
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post
Well, the official word is that they hope to put these on their (customer) bikes in the future. It's obviously their own RB model, made together with their inhouse carbon fibre freaks (couldn't get more info). He laughed when I mentioned that nobody knew what exact model it was For the time being it's a prototype and they will not run it in Dakar, still sticking to MD until further tests have been done next year post-Dakar (maybe Desert Challenge?).
May be it is better to have it as a spare part, because in Dakar etc, the riders get usually to choose what they like, not the factory itself (they can have a default, but if the rider wants, they will change it...)
Good to see that somebody else (especially Kiska...) is moving in a different direction.. I just hope it does not have gears inside
Old 11-08-2013, 03:43 AM   #1613
ROKIT_71
Gone Orange

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROKIT_71 View Post
Well done good find!

Thank you.
Received the road book holder / reader today.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321226395...84.m1439.l2649

Only took 10 days to Australia in the mail.

Seems to work a treat and is very well made.
ROKIT_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #1614
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,723
I was about to place an order for the new 450RFR, but I'm not sure my Aurora Mk1 RB will fit. Having the best bike in the world is no good if the rider is pointing it in the wrong direction. I better stick to my "old" RFR with the new Mk1 RB.
Seriously though D, you need to push those boys into fitting your RBs. That would be the icing on a very exceptional cake!
#101 Dakar 2015, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... Dakar ready
KTM 530 EXC-R
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:08 AM   #1615
Offroadie1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Mr 640 Arnageddon

PM sent to you.

Cheers.
Offroadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #1616
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Oddometer: 247
Sorry people. Anybody have a PIC or link for an XR650R nav tower setup. The forks end-end movement is big, and I don't C too much space.
I need a Safari rear tank for my 2013 Wr450 if anybody has one.
Tau Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #1617
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Tau, when you say the forks end to end is big, how'd you mean? The tower we make will fit any bike, but it would be helpful to know what the issue is with the Honda.

Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #1618
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike40 View Post
Tau, when you say the forks end to end is big, how'd you mean? The tower we make will fit any bike, but it would be helpful to know what the issue is with the Honda.
Sorry stupid explanation. The forks on Full lock leaves you with very little dead space infront of the headstem, So you cannot make the main mount to the neck nice and beafy. I am considering a normal handlebar mount, But a towermount just works better weight wise.
I need a Safari rear tank for my 2013 Wr450 if anybody has one.
Tau Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #1619
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Anvil View Post
Sorry stupid explanation. The forks on Full lock leaves you with very little dead space infront of the headstem, So you cannot make the main mount to the neck nice and beafy. I am considering a normal handlebar mount, But a towermount just works better weight wise.
The mount only has to be 3/16 to 1/2 inch thick then you nav tower plates bolt on to it
Old 11-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #1620
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
+1 on baja dad. I think you mean though that the plates might foul - the obvious question is, do you need so much lock? We've fitted ours to KTMs, Huskies, Yams and Hondas, no issue.

Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote