Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #46
FlyingPenguin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
I was also running 16/45 gearing. My next rear sprocket will be 47 or 48. I'll run a 17 Cs for Hwy and drop to 16 for the places where I don't as much top end. Even at 16/45 first gear is too high if you have to push.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Deadhorse- 2002, 2012
ALCAN 5000- 2004
COBDR- 2014
FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #47
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPenguin View Post
I was also running 16/45 gearing. My next rear sprocket will be 47 or 48. I'll run a 17 Cs for Hwy and drop to 16 for the places where I don't as much top end. Even at 16/45 first gear is too high if you have to push.
Good to know. I just thought you never fell on those passes because you were from Krypton. It's good to know that gearing had a little to do with it.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #48
musty40
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Great trip report! Some good advice from someone from the flatlands.

Really want to do CO BDR.
musty40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #49
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,523
Great ride!

Hey Brad! Great RR. For some reason, I never venture into this forum of the site so I had no idea this RR was here. Now I have ALL KINDS of comments!

First of all let me say I'm sorry about your tough 2012. I know how that goes. I will just say that my little boy is now 7 and I have missed his last 3 birthdays consecutively. For 2 of them I ended up with long hospital stays after MC accidents and for the third, after not riding for the preceeding month to avoid a hospital stay, our house burned down on his birthday! Tough years. As I may have told you, 12 years after his diagnosis my father is losing his personal battle with MS. It is tough to watch.

I really enjoyed the song you posted. A very nice tribute to your father.

Now then, on to the ride.

First off, prior to this ride Orangcicle was "the guy that made those cool graphics". If I may say so, the graphics look even better with this 'real life experience' on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
[CENTER]
Secondly, you take some amazing photos. I appreciate that you did, because I don't. I don't take pictures. I don't 'slow down to smell the roses' so to speak. In fact I don't even talk about these adventures all that much. I talk to Kelly, because he was there, and it turns out that we frequent the same coffee shop, but prior to my wife reading your RR tonight she knew very little of my trip. Just that I came home healthy which is all she really cares about. So anyway, your story and photos king of tell the story for me. Thank you. Here's my favorite.

Reading your report, I am glad to hear you have taken the 'pack light' mantra to heart. You mentioned traveling with Kelly and I was good because we may have spares and knowledge. Well 950 knowledge I have, but as for spares I carried... none. But I packed light and the bike didn't break so all was well.

This was another of my favorite photos. It was early on day 1, and I remember being so excited how quickly we got to 11,000' It wouldn't be so exciting after the coming days, but at this moment it was big.

So now that we've gotten to the actual riding portion of this trip, I need to come clean about a few things. First of all, you mentioned your day 1 crash in the mud hole. That was funny. Something about you coming up the trail in your formerly black pants now brown just cracked me up. When guys crash or even get hurt, I chuckle or outright belly-laugh. It's kind of a coping mechanism. I think you may have seen a bit of that on this trip.
Secondly, reading your RR I felt like I wasn't waiting or coming back often enough. I try to be a conscientious riding partner and I feel like maybe I failed at this a little bit. By way of explanation, let me say this; With my aforementioned hospital stays/accidents and the onset of some heavy MS symptoms I hadn't been on the bike in anger in about 2 1/2 years. I rode slab to the rally last year, but that's just not the same. From the time Kelly, Bob and I hit the TAT in Nevada headed to Cortez I was just on. Physically I was there. Mentally I was there. It was just working. And as the saying goes, I was just gonna let the big dog eat. Was I riding over my head? No, but I was riding at a level I hadn't seen in a long time and frankly that I thought was gone. So when we started the COBDR that's where my head was. Everything was clicking for me and I was just gonna let it roll. I think as we got further up the trail, and after we got over Oh-Fear pass, I got better about checking up on you. I hope so. I know what it's like to be on a mountain bike ride with better riders than myself and just as you are riding up to them, sucking wind, they are well rested and ready to take off up the trail. It sucks! Having said that, it was our (my?) intention to try and keep you moving.

This was really great read for me. I helps me remember all the parts of the trip that I've already forgotten! It was a great trip. It was an adventure. The falls, the bike trouble, walking up and down Ophir pass, and then getting to the end, that's the good stuff. And I learned some things about myself as well. For one thing, I now have an official diagnosis. CMA. Comparable mental abnormalities. My wife agrees with your wife!

Good stuff Brad, good stuff. I can't wait for KTM to announce next years rally so we can decide what state we're gonna meet up in and what trail we're gonna ride to get there. Good times.

Lastly, you started this ride report with a song from Andy McKee. I want to finish mine with this song from Eric Bibb. It is kind of inspirational to me and how I would like to try and live my life.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50

brents347 screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 10:25 PM
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #50
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,523
Here's a little video I took riding along with Brad. I think I made him nervous being along side him like this!

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #51
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Here's a little video I took riding along with Brad. I think I made him nervous being along side him like this!
Pretty cool! I like the director's commentary, "Almost got you there, Brad!"

I can't remember where that was. The one place I remember you behind me filming was just before Telluride, and all I remember is thinking, "Ride as fast as I can to stay out of Brent's way."
Old 11-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #52
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,486
So many lessons learned, so many memories made, so many miles traveled in friendship. Adventures can't be done on a key board. You gave it a herculean effort and in the end, you smile.

"Got to let out that cape". Great song. You really should consider the 690, beef up that sub frame and rail it. Everything I needed for 7 days in Baja was carried on one Alpha duffle bag and a small back pack riding a DRZ. You can go real light, try it.

I remember this picture and a bit about it from the BDR thread (Thanks Eakins).

Great report, no ego in you and I appreciate that.

Ateam.

AteamNM screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 08:52 PM
AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #53
river-rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Enjoyed your report

Just wanted to say I enjoyed your report ... loved the photos you shared and learned some important tips ... I think I learn more by reading reports that have a few bumps than those that go as planned
river-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #54
Merfman
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Lastly, you started this ride report with a song from Andy McKee. I want to finish mine with this song from Eric Bibb. It is kind of inspirational to me and how I would like to try and live my life.
-Removed vid linky cause it din't work-
Nice choice! That song was originally done, and written by, Guy Clark, just FYI, and it's the reason the byline under my avatar is what it is... ;)

Congrats on the RR O'Sickle, nicely done! That SW corner of CO is in my personal top 5 places I've ever been... thanks for sharing the report!
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #55
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer

For Christmas this year, I decided to give my loved ones a mounted copy of the Silverton, CO image. It's my best work from 2013. I hope they enjoy it.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #56
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,850
Very cool. You have some lucky loved ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
For Christmas this year, I decided to give my loved ones a mounted copy of the Silverton, CO image. It's my best work from 2013. I hope they enjoy it.

Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #57
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Hey great RR!!! Thanks for that. I agree with the other poster Orangcicle was "the guy that made those cool graphics". Had to peel off my bubbling graphics too (left the KTM and put a Dakar graphic where you placed the compass)
I have a feeling that many of the riders who share on this board and do these trails have much more experience than I, maybe not experience but skills. I have looked at the ride the Wans just did up these passes and these folks just take it in stride. For me, not even loaded down I think the 950 is stretching my abilities, if for no other reason than picking the damn thing up. I could do this whole ride easy-peasy on my 530. But thats the dirt portion. The rest of it, well, who wouldnt rather be on a 950?
So, its nice to see posts by someone who is maybe more in my camp and makes it a little more realistic. I need to set my sights properly. I want to do some offroad (two track) and do the trip on the 950. Never been out West and want to go. Grew up in North Carolina and did my share of gnarly riding, on light 2 strokes when I had less sense. You know the mountain climbs where you cant see the top because it so far up and you hit the bottom wide open in 3rd and start downshifting as you wind up the mountain, ending in first gear to clear the top. Now I live in Flatistan and am getting old and soft. So, this at least puts some perspective on making the right decision about the ride I should do. Not saying not to stretch yourself but live to tell the tale, so to speak. I also have to consider I will be traveling solo so can't get into a situation where I am riding 95% or more.

Also, just FINALLY got my jetting spot on for sea level after an OK attempt by me, a failed one at a KTM dealer and the struck gold at the next KTM shop. So it appears that maybe if I had the flex jets I could get it to run without having to screw with the needles, etc etc??? I think the floats now are 3MM.

Anyhow great job!!!!
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #58
LeSprinter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thanks for the RR. I'm planning on doing it this coming summer on the Tenere and with the inmates. Should be fun.
LeSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #59
Orangecicle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed View Post
Also, just FINALLY got my jetting spot on for sea level after an OK attempt by me, a failed one at a KTM dealer and the struck gold at the next KTM shop. So it appears that maybe if I had the flex jets I could get it to run without having to screw with the needles, etc etc??? I think the floats now are 3MM.
I tend to think that every KTM is different. 3mm floats may be OK. I run a Facet fuel pump. I have typically run 3mm floats. During this trip I switch to 4mm floats, and I really like that change. Float height might be different with a different pump.

As to whether or not flex jets solve all of your problems, have a look at this chart:

Not all of that applies to 950 carbs, but you can see that idle is greatly impacted by your IMS settings, so FlexJet2s help solve that problem. The impact of the IMS settings fall away pretty quickly after idle. FlexJets are really nice when you need to fine-tune your idle, but they don't fix everything.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #60
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Thanks for sharing your ride. My wife and I used to work at Mercy and MWL. good times. I hope to get out to CO again soon. Take Care