User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
sherpa OP
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
Wolfman Explorer Lite/Enduro Tankbags fitted on KTM 640 Adventure

I purchased a KTM 640 adventure last month, and I wanted a tankbag...researched around here for awhile and decided on the Wolfman Tankbags. The only problem was I had difficulty deciding which size I wanted...was it the Explorer Lite or the smaller Enduro. So I ordered both to get my hands on them and to try them out on the bike.... I'll send back the one I don't want.

The build quality of both tankbags is topnotch...nice materials, heavy duty zippers, foam stiffener material incorporated into the sides of the bags, little details like "D" rings on the lids and a clip in the interior...etc.

Here are some comparison pics. The larger Explorer Lite will be the top pic, with the Enduro underneath. In all the pics, both tankbags are sitting as far forward as they can go inorder to not hit the bars at full lock. The bags are just sitting on the bike...i.e. not strapped down...I didn't want to get the straps dirty knowing I'd be sending one of the bags back.

Both bags have a removable, velcro attached map pocket... I've never been very successful at putting maps into map pockets. The map pocket on the Enduro is really more of a written directions/photos of the loved ones pocket...which is fine by me...that's why God created the Garmin 276C.

The all important knee/leg clearance shots...I think either bag stacks up just fine to this criteria.

Here's the shots sitting.

Here's the shots standing.

Both bags fit the bike just fine IMHO. The one big difference in fit would be how far back onto the seat the bag sits...and therefore how much the bags limit you when you want to get as far forward as possible. The Enduro is a better choice if you want to still be able to get as far forward on the seat as the family jewels will allow.

The yellow tape in the pic is the most rearward position of the Enduro and the orange tape represents the Explorer Lite.

Here are some side by side pics to show the relative size of the tankbags.

Both bags have a nice zippered pocket on the underside of the lid.

Wolfman also sells a rain cover for both bags which has the same velcro as on the tankbags lid...this allows you to pull the map pocket off the bag and place it on the rain cover....nice detail.

The Explorer Lite has a zippered, expandable gusset. The Enduro doesn't have this feature.

So which one am I keeping....the smaller Enduro. The 640 feels like a mini bike compared to the big GS...so I'm trying to not pollute it's sveltness.

Here's the Enduro strapped down and ready to ride. The straps work/fit well.

Since I want the bag as far forward as possible, it covers the fuel cap. So gas stops are done by releasing the two fastex buckles on the left side and laying the bag over the right side of the tank. The Enduro Tankbag is small enough that you could choose to mount it farther rearward, allowing you to keep the fuel cap accessible without touching the tankbag.

So how much can you get into The Enduro Tankbag....I got all this stuff in there easily...the tape measure is the same size as my Canon Elph and took it's place in the pic.

The next best thing to riding a new bike and wrenching on a new bike...is setting up a new bike...

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:45 PM   #2
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Robert, great pics. Copied the thread to Thumpers, too.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:43 AM   #3
Team Dennis
Certified Troublemaker

Oddometer: 4,537
Excellent report and pictures.
Team Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:48 AM   #4
yozuri
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Thanks for sharing, now eat that Banana and stay healthy
yozuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:01 AM   #5
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Thanks for the comparison thread sherpa; this is great. The wolfie enduro has been The Tankbag for the 640a for those valuing space over capacity. It is very helpful to see the newer explorer lite alongside of it for comparison; thanks for doing the legwork (does that idiom work anymore? should it be keyboard strokes? ).

Now that you have decided on which bag, is there anything that you would like to put in the tankbag that will no longer fit? And where will you put it? (perhaps I am jumping the gun and you are working on those... ).

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:40 AM   #6
animeniac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Excellent comparison! Thanks for posting that up. Makes me want to get both bags so that I can have a little more versatility depending on the type of riding I plan to do on a given trip.
animeniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:49 PM   #7
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,478
I did the same thing and bought both. I kept the Enduro bag for more dirt riding, does not get in the way when standing.

I already had the KTM bag that's larger, that I use for more road oriented riding.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:45 PM   #8
goblin
pig rider

Oddometer: 371
Thumb

nice little bag I have the enduro and it's been great.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:08 AM   #9
sherpa OP
...Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Now that you have decided on which bag, is there anything that you would like to put in the tankbag that will no longer fit? And where will you put it? (perhaps I am jumping the gun and you are working on those... ).
No...nothing else, I really need to put in the tankbag...but you can always fill up the available space. The bigger the bag the more flopping around you get...really wanted to avoid that on the 640. I have a bigger Marsee on my GS (and it does flop around) but it has some electronic components in there that take up alot of space...I'm forgoing the electronic stuff on the KTM though...less is more, is the moto with this bike.

Tools...that's the next thing on the list...right now I've just got them tied to the rear rack in a duffle bag. I've got some ideas about making a dual set of skidplate toolboxes...I've mocked up a few prototypes at 1/2 scale in wood...and I am gathering the necessary supplies for a full scale attempt soon.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

Old 01-31-2006, 07:27 AM   #10
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Ah, rallye skidplate boxes eh? Good! If you get a design that seems to work please share your plans in the thread (I gathered you are not a mfg. from your GPS mount thread).

If you find you need somewhere to put longer stuff or just want a bit more room, did you see The Tool Tube (TM)?

Old 01-31-2006, 11:02 AM   #11
sherpa OP
...Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Ah, rallye skidplate boxes eh? Good! If you get a design that seems to work please share your plans in the thread (I gathered you are not a mfg. from your GPS mount thread).

If you find you need somewhere to put longer stuff or just want a bit more room, did you see The Tool Tube (TM)?
I will of course share my plans....and if the idea works out and is well received I do intend to make up some to sell. I'm actually making up 3 of the GPS mounts to sell to the guys who requested them. You are right though, I am not a mfg. ...just someone who enjoys making things.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

Old 01-31-2006, 11:21 AM   #12
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa
I will of course share my plans....and if the idea works out and is well received I do intend to make up some to sell. I'm actually making up 3 of the GPS mounts to sell to the guys who requested them. You are right though, I am not a mfg. ...just someone who enjoys making things.
From what I have seen you make nice stuff. Well thought out and executed. Just wanted to qualify my remarks in case I was out of line.

BTW, the tool tube (TM was a joke) is simply a cheap DIY setup back where the stock tool box goes (with braces for the break away hangers). Just an FYI in case you need to fit longer stuff or need a bit more space and don't want to hang a tube on the front of the skidplate.

Old 01-31-2006, 11:24 AM   #13
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,355
Great post Sherpa and some excellent photo's.

For anyone looking for Wolfman tank bags in the UK try - Winding Roads Motorcycle Luggage or Wolfman EU Motorcycle Luggage

Joe Bar screwed with this post 01-28-2010 at 06:02 AM
Joe Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #14
IDScarecrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
Thumb

Old thread, I know, but I wanted to resurrect it to say "thanks" - this is exactly the question I was struggling with. Great explanation/visualization. Wolfman should have this post on its website!

**edited to add - "shouldn't this be in 'equipment' not 'thumpers'? It really is more about the bags than the bike."

IDScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote