Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #46
polishadam82
black sheep

Oddometer: 122
looks like a one bad to the bone trip!!! I'm planing heading up north next year two up
Old 11-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #47
Catlin987987
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Awesome read so far!
Catlin987987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #48
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,737
I can completely understand that. I went to Boston once while I was younger and we pretty much hauled ass form one "must-see" to the next. When I left I felt like I really didn't see Boston, just a bunch of tourist spots.

I think I would want to ride the Dalton because I feel like that gives me a chance to see more of the wild, undeveloped, Alaska. A little more off the beaten path, and away from any cruise ship docks. Now, in truth I haven't done a ton of research into travel in Alaska, so I may be completely and utterly wrong in my opinion and you can see all of the wildness of Alaska from any major paved road.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #49
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,129

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #50
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I can completely understand that. I went to Boston once while I was younger and we pretty much hauled ass form one "must-see" to the next. When I left I felt like I really didn't see Boston, just a bunch of tourist spots.

I think I would want to ride the Dalton because I feel like that gives me a chance to see more of the wild, undeveloped, Alaska. A little more off the beaten path, and away from any cruise ship docks. Now, in truth I haven't done a ton of research into travel in Alaska, so I may be completely and utterly wrong in my opinion and you can see all of the wildness of Alaska from any major paved road.
Although it might not be "Alaska" the Cassier hwy was the most remote , no traffic, wild animals area we drove. If you have the right bike and the time I believe that a dirt track big dog adventures style ride is the way to go for more remote adventure up to Alaska. The Denali hwy was pretty cool run I much preferred that and one of the highlights. Glad to have you along for the journey
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #51
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb June 13th Where the F is Chugach State Park? Russian River to Eagle Creek 120 Miles

The drive from the Russian River to Anchorage was Beautiful!!!

We planned on taking a short trip to Chugach State Park for a nice day of hiking and relaxing but when we got to where we thought the campground was we couldn't find it. Its the largest Sate Park in the USA so I though at least I would see a sign. I drove back and forth along the route getting very frustrated over an hour until after the third pass I realized it was under construction and closed. No mention of that on the website or maybe I am just an idiot and missed it. O well plan B Eagle river is part of the same park system north of Anchorage so off we went. Quick stop in town at the grocery store and man o man we were not missing the city life at all. Dont miss the turn or you'll be camping someplace you may not like.

I was very impressed with the park for being so close to town, I later learned we could have camped at the Harley shop in Anchorage where they have showers and a grassy area for tents for free, also a nice place.

Anyway we find a nice spot and I set up my tent when some lady comes over and says she has just pre paid for the spot and starts showing me her paperwork. Lady you were leaving here when I was in the spot why didn't you just say I'm going to pay for it. Grade school rules apply , she was here first so I moved all my stuff to another spot in walking distance.

We thought we would go for a little hike to see the waterfall and our walk turned into a run as were experiencing the worst mosquitoes of the trip. Clouds of mosquitoes so bad we started running back to the tent. I made my lady stop so I could take a pick of all the mosquitoes on her back, probably cant see them but trust me it was bad.

We sought refuge in our tent and I got a a message from my friends wife who said he died last night but was brought back. Excuse me my buddy is 38, physically fit, doesn't smoke, picture of health, WTF.

I gave him a facetime call on my iPhone and he was in a hospital bed with his daughter and family around him. He said he had a bad pain in his side that got worse and felt like a hot poker and a tazer all at once so he went to the hospital. He started feeling better so he walked around the floor and then dropped dead! Doctors said he had a blood clot floating around in him and it made it up to his heart. They brought him back to life and he was in good spirits. Holy crap man

This reaffirmed my belief that I had to do this trip now because you never know. Ive read the comments on ADVrider about some day, its on my bucket list, maybe one day. DO NOT DELAY this is an amazing trip you will not forget; you never know when life is gonna hit you with a curve ball.

I guess my lady felt she needed to wash her feet in the cooking pans, I bet I would get yelled at for that. Yuck! After washing the pans we had a delicious meal and fell asleep watching funny you tube videos on the iPhone.

Campground $20
Lunch $15
Dinner supplies $20
Total $55
Old 11-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #52
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bluhduh June 14th Anchorage Alaska and the Microtel Ritz 18 miles

WARNING: This will be the most boring post of the trip but to keep continuity Ill post it anyway. I am sure y'all are really interested in our dinner and my haircut so here ya go.

We packed up and were excited for our first shower in a few days as we set out for the unbelievably priced Mirotel inn at $179 a night! The motel 6 was $140 or something to give you an idea. Alaska prices are crazy, if I had known about the Harley shop with showers I would have gone that route to save the $180.

The idea of my lady trying to pack up and get on the plane out of a tent seemed silly so we dropped the coin and each got out money worth in hot water and laundry facilities. We had to make a stop at the Alaskan Leather shop for my own furry but pad and talked the lady into one also. Who knew a little bit of lambs wool could make such a difference, Nice folks there. Then it was off to get a haircut at a place recommended by the Alaskan Leather folks,

We grabbed some BBQ and thought we should treat ourselves to a nice dinner. We luckily found a nice little hole in the wall on Yelp “Kobe Teppayaki House” awesome place ; small and friendly and the cook puts on a show ( Benihana style ) all at a very very reasonable price. It looks shady on the outside and we almost didn't go in but in the end we were glad we did, the food was great.

We were not missing much of the city and wish we were back in the woods. Bit o laundry and to bed early so she could make her flight back to Portland. Tomorrow its solo for the rest of the trip and off to Denali.

Lunch $28
Dinner $57
Hotel $179

Total $ 264
Old 11-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #53
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
Would I pick the Wee again? Absolutely without a doubt several times over. I never once felt like I needed more power,handling, ground clearance, passing ability, etc. set it up with some K60's and they will last you 10k miles and handle all the roads with ease. It's the Camry of bikes , everything you need but it's not going to make you feel cool. You can feel cool that your riding to Alaska.

Ok this is from the lady and her perspective , Ms. Alamo the floor is yours

When I told people that I would be spending two weeks of my precious vacation time riding on the back of a motorcycle up to Alaska their initial reaction was �� "why???" Or " wow, that's totally gonna suck....aren't you going to be freezing?" The only people who really thought it was cool were old dudes. I in fact I starting asking myself if I knew what I was getting into but figured what the hell it'll be an adventure and make for some good stories.

This trip absolutely delivered and was 100 times better than I thought. There was only a few hours on one or two days of the trip that were a little unpleasant. Most of the time was spent inhaling fresh air, marveling at the scenery, taking pictures (this proved to be a challenge in my gloves trying to keep my fingers out of the picture and not capturing PDX Alamos helmet right smack in the middle of a gorgeous waterfall or mountain range) & napping. My heated jacket liner and "magic underwear" ( bike shorts with a padded butt) were life savers.

My back got a little sore when the load on the top box AKA my back pad shifted to much and forced me into a slouching position but that was easily remedied with a few minor adjustments here and there. I think the best thing is to not get in a position where you are trying to power though the miles otherwise you'll be temped not to take regular breaks which is important for the passenger. It was nice to stop every hour or so to stretch, pee, eat a snack or take some pictures. I've done a lot of traveling but this was one of my most memorable trips yet. There was something so liberating about traveling without a suitcase and a ton of shit. We could have actually brought less stuff but had no idea of what to expect weather wise and ended up lucking out with record setting highs and hardly any rain. The camping just added so much to the experience I won't lie though....I didn't mind the occasional creepy motel and hot shower.

It also helped that my man is an obsessive researcher and had things dialed in to the best of his ability and took measures to make sure the trip would be equally enjoyable for me. Anything that popped up unexpected was never a show stopper but more of an opportunity to expand swear word vocab and make each other laugh. Was it ever stressful?...meh not really. Did we ever get cranky? For sure but we are lucky to understand each other well enough to not get our magic underwear in a wad.

Would I do the trip again?? Absolutely! When I returned home everyone wanted to know how much we fought and if we wanted to kill each other after all that time together in constant close proximity they were surprised when I answered "actually....I think we like each other even more now". Hope that helps any ladies on the fence out there. Also spring for the Alaskan butt pad, you won't regret it.
I just read your response to my Alaskan wife and she says, "Cool! I am so glad you went on the trip despite what people were telling you before you left, what a good experience!" I appreciate it because I've been trying to get her to come with me on an overnight trip. She has not yet, not on the bike, which is unfortunate. I usually ride down to America and she usually flies and then we meet someplace to visit family. But I can ride from Skagway to Bend, Oregon and back on $422. That is a lot cheaper than flying or taking the ferry.
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen

Nanuq screwed with this post 11-28-2013 at 10:59 PM
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #54
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ms. Alamo is a pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq View Post
I just read your response to my Alaskan wife and she says, "Cool! I am so glad you went on the trip despite what people were telling you before you left, what a good experience!" I appreciate it because I've been trying to get her to come with me on an overnight trip. She has not yet, not on the bike, which is unfortunate. I usually ride down to America and she usually flies and then we meet someplace to visit family. But I can ride from Skagway to Bend, Oregon and back on $422. That is a lot cheaper than flying or taking the ferry.
Glad to hear it , I eagerly await your guys next ride report together. I don't think she will regret it one bit on the back of the bike, heck my lady got to sleep and I had to do all the "work"
Old 12-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #55
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking June 15th Anchorage to Denali National Park 240 Miles , Pillion free

Well it was time to say good by as the lady packed up her stuff in the top bag and boarded the hotel shuttle to the airport. Little excited for losing 130 pounds thinking the bike would be more nimble, Little nervous when you look at the map and realize you have to drive all that way back. Anyhow I though packing would be a breeze since I was losing lots of stuff but at the same time she was taking the top bag so it was about the same. I headed out to Denalli National Park which I had read gave me only a 33% chance of actually seeing the mountain. I thought about bailing on it but decided well 1 out of 3 isn't bad odds.

I was very surprised that the Strom felt pretty much the same, it handles so well two up I couldn't tell much a difference at all minus the lady. The road up most of the way was pretty crap but 1/2 wayish up there in the distance you get to see the big boy in all its grandeur. Man o man I don’t think I could have asked for a better day to view it, clear as could be out there.

I pulled over for my first round of too many photos of Denali and the mosquitoes were in full force so I just walked around like the man on the moon in full gear snapping away.

Back on the road and it wasn't to long before I pulled over for another round of pictures.

Not thinking anything could eclipse the sight of the tallest mountain in North America I was shocked to learn that Chip Benford is a thieving crankster!! This is taking bathroom graffiti to another level and for those not familiar with what a “crankster” is I will explain. Cranksters are Crystal meth addicts since methamphetamine used to be called “Crank”. Why crank, well in the days when outlaw bikers ran the meth game they would smuggle it in their bikes crank case supposedly.

As I got closer to the park I saw my first couple of Moose or is it Mooses, anyhow I made it to the park and grabbed a site and was lucky to get it as the next day they were sold out.

One thing I didn't realize was that you cant ride into the park and have to take a bus tour in. Although I wasn't thrilled with this I think its the best way to keep the park the way it is. Yellowstone is a f’in zoo with bumper to bumper traffic and more like Disney land than nature. One thing you can do is get a camp site deep inside the park which would allow you to travel 1/2 way into it and if I could have done it over I would have gone this route. Once your in you have to stay there but that would have been fine by me as their is nothing really in the close in camp sites.

One beef I have is the bus tour, the showers, the grocery store, and everything they had was pricey. This is land owned by the American people and just because Aramark got the contract to run it doesn't give them the right to gouge folks. This place is for families and you shouldn't have to be rich to go here. Our “leaders” should require those with contracts to offer services at fair market prices.

Anyhow they did have wifi and showers at the camp store so I played a bit on the net and with no one to play with hit the hay for tomorrows bus tour into the park. Man the mosquitoes were in full force also which made the decision to get in the tent early an easy one.

Two nights camping, park entrance, and bus tour $80
Groceries and beer $35
Gas $12
Total $127
Old 12-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #56
airchuk
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Two nights camping, park entrance, and bus tour $80
I think for 80 bucks you did alright.......
airchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #57
Prime Mover
Anything Can Happen

Oddometer: 893
This is great stuff. Awesome bike and a pretty gal... sweet. Thanks for sharing.
"Better to live alone in the desert than with a nagging wife" - Proverbs 21:19
Prime Mover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #58
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh More to come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Mover View Post
This is great stuff. Awesome bike and a pretty gal... sweet. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks man glad your along for the ride remembered. Should be able to get a few more days posted this weekend
Old 12-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #59
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wink June 16th 0 miles ; Get on the school bus Denali

Well got up and headed off to the school bus into Denali and got in line with a lots of other folks. Couldn't ask for a nicer day at that

I landed in the back of the bus next to Diamond Jim and his wife. What a character with a diamond in his front tooth. Great folks who travel around the USA and Canada with a jet car doing shows. In the winter they live in Cabo San Lucas Mexico. Great folks living a cool retirement from being an iron worker. Been married for 30 years and appearing to being having a blast . I hope I am that lucky.

Not much to say just Ill just drop a picture bomb. I will only say that riding a bus with a schedule really makes you appreciate the freedom of being on a bike. Being cooped up in the bus felt weird and being allotted 5 minutes outside of it to soak in the beauty of this place before being ordered back inside was not ideal for me. I think to handle the amount of visitors here without ruining it , this is the only way to do it.

After the bus ride there wasn't much to do around there since you couldn't really go into the park so I bought a 6er of beer and polished it off at my camp site. Tomorrow it was the Denali Highway which according to guidebooks was made out to be hardcore, tough, and super isolated. We will see about that I guess.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #60
Prime Mover
Anything Can Happen

Oddometer: 893
Keep us updated on the Denali. Man, this looks like one hell of a great trip so far. I also have the exact same Wee. Great bike.
"Better to live alone in the desert than with a nagging wife" - Proverbs 21:19
Prime Mover is offline   Reply With Quote