Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2013, 03:07 AM   #46
The Doc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Your two last photos looked familiar so I had a look at a RR I did once

extract:

4WDer shows me where the gaps in the log bridge are, they wanted to push the bike across but I said bugger that "I'll get my boots wet"

This creek nearly stopped me with the strong current, but I unloaded the bike and "gave it the berries"
The 4WDers caught up while I was repacking the bike, they walked the crossing 3 times, looked at me and then turned around. Apparently Nissan Patrols aren't that good!

BMW Adventure bikes..... just an excuse to go home early
The Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #47
dirt_bloke OP
No idea

Oddometer: 791
Cool pics Guy! I'll have to go out there after the next lot of summer rain to have a play!

I have a few local Dad/Daughter trips planned with super Nat, also Father son rides if I can him off the Xbox, even hope to farm the kids out and get away with the missus.

I'd be interested to read your ride report of your trip (is anybody going to do one?). PM me if you're coming down my way, we'll have a beer!

Pete (Dirt)
(yet)
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:35 AM   #48
The Doc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Yes it was a great trip and I guess there's a great story to tell but I think the know it all wankers on here have turned me off sharing it. Although the Hay River was only a small part of the trip I sort of get a kick out of letting the self proclaimed gurus keep thinking they know it all. Im sure the majority of guys would suspect the real story is much different to what was published.
Did you notice the guys who needed the chopper on the Walkers Crossing track never got a mention.

BMW Adventure bikes..... just an excuse to go home early
The Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #49
dirt_bloke OP
No idea

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc
...Did you notice the guys who needed the chopper on the Walkers Crossing track never got a mention.
Only because your crew are celebrities!

As for your ride, I'd still like to read about it.

Anyway:

What worked and what didn't.

Generally very happy with bike. The stepper motor was a pain. I did service it before leaving, not that it needed servicing, however I didn't really know how to protect it from the dust. I'll workout something out before the next trip.

Cable ties are great things! I needed to be a bit more thorough in checking the bike after each days ride. Didn't even think of checking the center stand bolts.

Years ago I had an Aprilia Pegaso that would break plastic bits. So I made steel compensating brackets at the fatigue points to prevent this sort of thing. Looks like the same sort of love is needed here.

The rock that did this was probably going to smash something really expensive or hard to fix on the bike. Easy to replace.

Midas E-09, this is after only 3100 km. Not really too sure about the wear rate. Front seemed pressure sensitive and that affected the handing noticeably. I'll try something else next time to have a comparison.

Power outlets worked out very well for charging technology at night & USB adaptor for the iStuff.
In the box is my Starcom1 unit. This thing was the ducks guts. Music for the boring bits and UHF to keep in contact with the others. When riding solo comms with the road trains (and old mate with the broken caravan rack) was excellent.

UniFilter 'Prefilter' tops! I originally thought I ordered two replacement filter elements, then these things turned up. First I thought WTF, then did a bit of research and it was obvious that these things were going to be handy. Purchased and installed a new standard filter element that still looks new!

Tool box/tube thing, tops. Rack system I made for my DryRider saddle bags while worked fine, but the bags are just wrong for this bike. I'll build a better system later. Either with cut down 20ltr plastic Jerry cans or some other soft bag set up.

18 years ago I took a KLR 560 to the cape, had a big get-off. The BarkBusters saved my hands from getting crushed, simply a must.

Worked well with the kangaroos, took a lot of time to TIG the brackets up as it is quite heavy also wiring it up was a pain in the arse. I was concerned that the corrugated road may damage the instrument mounts be it seems ok (yet to pull the mounts apart).

Clip lock tubs worked well. stopped dust and things getting crushed.

What a POS. My brother took this this to the States for his big ride around last year. The batteries went flat & U/S, so I purchased some new batteries, then it sort of worked at home. Once on the road the mongrel camera just would not work, Grrrr...

Frillneck hat http://www.frillneck.com.au/catalog/index.php not a fashion item but works really well.
Fly net, very handy.

Body armour, didn't bin the bike. Knee guards, vehicles travelling the other way did throw up a few rocks that bounced off them.
Camelback (work sponsored job), tops.
Fly helmet, average. Ear plugs are good.

After losing my left thong, I thought I'd take the right thong for a tour of the outback which the thong quite enjoyed. As fate would have it, the right thong of the new pair got burnt by the exhaust between Birdsville and Windorah. So I now have a well travelled pair of thongs.

Well, there you have it. Any questions?
(yet)
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote