Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #226
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown101 View Post
Here's another saying for you. "You're either part of the problem or part of the solution."

Sounds like you've decided it's easier to go with the flow (based on your "when in Rome" reference) and be part of the problem. I get it. It seems like such an impossible monumental task for one person to affect change so why should you bother? Well, because it's the right thing to do.

How does one person affect change when the issue is on such a grand scale? Good question. I received some keen insight from an aging Italian gentleman on this subject several years ago. He had this huge home with multiple stone patios complete with ornate railings. Hundreds, maybe thousands of these ornate cast concrete stiles were used to make the railings. The caps to the railings were slab concrete. There were multiple stone terraces, steps, rotundas, etc. The place was gorgeous, like a partially finished palace.

I walked around back of his home and saw his work area. One single mold from which he made the stiles one at a time. Same for the concrete rail caps. Also a large pile of rough stone he would pull from and cut by hand for the stone work. Upon seeing this I realized he was single handily building this incredibly beautiful mansion by hand and one piece at a time.

I asked him: "How in the world do you keep motivated with such a huge project that shows so little progress each day? Seems like an impossible task!" He asked me "How would you eat an Elephant?" I said " I don't know." To which he replied "One bite at a time."
Nice....I'll keep that in mind.

*****IF YOU READ NOTHING ELSE IN THIS THREAD, READ THIS******

I think I'm about ready to close this discussion. I leave this post to future readers of this train wreck.

I am a new rider, new as they come. I am 33 years old and have driven on California highways for 14 years and 4 years in Japan. I have driven very powerful cars (BMW 850i) and very nimble cars (autocross Fiero GT). I have driven slow cars (Diesel Toyota Landcruiser) on and off road. I have had life experiences unique to me which have shaped my attitude and behavior.

I made an (somewhat) uneducated choice of which bike to buy, a 2002 BMW 1150GS Adventure. I put a lot of faith in what the "experts" had to say regarding this bike. The day the bike arrived, these "experts" had me so worked up I was almost afraid to pull it into the driveway...almost.

2300 miles and 2 months later, I don't think I could be happier. I've tested other smaller/different bikes now and none of them feel right. Theres no way I could imagine myself on a sport bike all splayed out for hours. I have lots more to learn on how far the GS can be pushed, but right now, I'm content with my choices. Would a smaller bike have been a better choice? I don't think so. Could I have been an Olympic waterpolo player (if you read the whole thread you know where that comes from), possibly. Am I worse off for these choices.....who knows....I do know I don't regret starting with the 1150.

To new riders. Listen to the experienced riders, but take their advice with a shaker of salt. Listen to the ones that have been your specific route and ride what you want to ride and the way you want to ride. Don't worry how many licenses are in their wallets or their post count. Look at the color of their hair, look how long they have been riding, look what kind of riding they do. Sit on a few bikes, find the one that fits (I got lucky on the GS) then go reading about how it handles for new riders. Personally, I'm glad I didn't go for something smaller, sportier, "more fun". I would have gotten into some trouble I'm sure. Take the MSF course...there are quite a few things you never considered when driving a car. Don't let anyone talk you out of your choices if you've truly educated yourself on them. Own your choices, good and bad. Don't let the "experts" scare you. Stay in control and remember the vehicle is only as powerful as your right hand. A Ferrari can be driven at 30mph as it can 150mph...you don't always have to be "on it". Know what is safe for you and your situation. Despite what the "experts" say, you can control yourself...you CAN enjoy a big bike as a first timer. Drive like you are mentally bigger than a car. Take up more space than you would allow in a standard car. This ensures you have adequate room all around you to evade various problems.

Finally, go with the flow. Don't try to be a hero, don't be a teacher, don't try to change the driving world around you. You flit in and out of each others lives so fast theres no impression made...its better to get home in one piece than it is to show other the right way to drive. 9 times out of 10....you'll just get the finger. The other 10% of the time....no one cares. Keep yourself in order, stay in your lane, relax, enjoy your ride.

Lastly, take a deep breath....breathe. Before you set out for the day, just before you release the clutch for the first time, take a breathe and clear your mind. After you drop your bike for the first time in traffic, shut off the engine and take a deep breathe...then proceed. When someone pulls out in front of you....slow and breathe. Just breathe.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #227
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperx View Post
Nice....I'll keep that in mind.

*****IF YOU READ NOTHING ELSE IN THIS THREAD, READ THIS******

I think I'm about ready to close this discussion. I leave this post to future readers of this train wreck.

I am a new rider, new as they come. I am 33 years old and have driven on California highways for 14 years and 4 years in Japan. I have driven very powerful cars (BMW 850i) and very nimble cars (autocross Fiero GT). I have driven slow cars (Diesel Toyota Landcruiser) on and off road. I have had life experiences unique to me which have shaped my attitude and behavior.

I made an (somewhat) uneducated choice of which bike to buy, a 2002 BMW 1150GS Adventure. I put a lot of faith in what the "experts" had to say regarding this bike. The day the bike arrived, these "experts" had me so worked up I was almost afraid to pull it into the driveway...almost.

2300 miles and 2 months later, I don't think I could be happier. I've tested other smaller/different bikes now and none of them feel right. Theres no way I could imagine myself on a sport bike all splayed out for hours. I have lots more to learn on how far the GS can be pushed, but right now, I'm content with my choices. Would a smaller bike have been a better choice? I don't think so. Could I have been an Olympic waterpolo player (if you read the whole thread you know where that comes from), possibly. Am I worse off for these choices.....who knows....I do know I don't regret starting with the 1150.

To new riders. Listen to the experienced riders, but take their advice with a shaker of salt. Listen to the ones that have been your specific route and ride what you want to ride and the way you want to ride. Don't worry how many licenses are in their wallets or their post count. Look at the color of their hair, look how long they have been riding, look what kind of riding they do. Sit on a few bikes, find the one that fits (I got lucky on the GS) then go reading about how it handles for new riders. Personally, I'm glad I didn't go for something smaller, sportier, "more fun". I would have gotten into some trouble I'm sure. Take the MSF course...there are quite a few things you never considered when driving a car. Don't let anyone talk you out of your choices if you've truly educated yourself on them. Own your choices, good and bad. Don't let the "experts" scare you. Stay in control and remember the vehicle is only as powerful as your right hand. A Ferrari can be driven at 30mph as it can 150mph...you don't always have to be "on it". Know what is safe for you and your situation. Despite what the "experts" say, you can control yourself...you CAN enjoy a big bike as a first timer. Drive like you are mentally bigger than a car. Take up more space than you would allow in a standard car. This ensures you have adequate room all around you to evade various problems.

Finally, go with the flow. Don't try to be a hero, don't be a teacher, don't try to change the driving world around you. You flit in and out of each others lives so fast theres no impression made...its better to get home in one piece than it is to show other the right way to drive. 9 times out of 10....you'll just get the finger. The other 10% of the time....no one cares. Keep yourself in order, stay in your lane, relax, enjoy your ride.

Lastly, take a deep breath....breathe. Before you set out for the day, just before you release the clutch for the first time, take a breathe and clear your mind. After you drop your bike for the first time in traffic, shut off the engine and take a deep breathe...then proceed. When someone pulls out in front of you....slow and breathe. Just breathe.
That's great that you love your bike and all, but wait until you have to pick it up riding off-pavement solo a few times in a day. Or wait until the momentum of a heavy bike going over catapults you into the tree you were going to narrowly avoid if you stayed upright. Or wait until you get trapped under your heavy bike until somebody can come by and lift it off of you. Even wait until you see somebody that passed a BRC without a problem hit a bad pothole on their new GSX-R and hamfist the throttle to 60MPH in 1st gear in a matter of mere seconds, holding on for dear life as the revs go shooting up accidentally. These are just a few reasons that many experienced riders don't recommend a heavy or powerful bike for noobs, especially if leaving the pavement. They aren't generally as forgiving of noob mistakes, even if one is trying to ride sedately. Luckily, for it's displacement and heft, a GS isn't exactly a rocket or a bear to handle.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #228
dmason
goofball

Oddometer: 217
Since you're about to "close the thread" (is arseface a mod all of a sudden?), let me take this last opportunity to say go f*ck yourself.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #229
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmason View Post
Since you're about to "close the thread" (is arseface a mod all of a sudden?), let me take this last opportunity to say go f*ck yourself.
I want to be last! Fuck you idiot!
tkent02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #230
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,218
What the hell did I just read. You all fucking suck and I hate you.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #231
Travex
Lost is found

Oddometer: 141
Human nature, testosterone/estrogen/adrenaline, bad mood, good mood, elation, drunk, talented, terminal, high, stupid, careless, unknowing, fun, danger, showmanship, insecurity, style, anger, confidence, newly-licensed, pre-mortem excitation.

Other than those I'm at a loss as to why people would do such things.

Sometimes asking why can only be answered with do or done.

2012 Super Tenere For Sale in "The Flea Market"

Travex screwed with this post 11-08-2013 at 11:53 AM Reason: typo
Travex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #232
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Think of the children
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #233
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Just checking in....

Ticked over 3200 miles this morning.

All is good. Nothing major going on. Found a great local road to practice on deep in the mountains. Getting smoother. Road in the rain for the first time a couple nights ago. Had the ABS fire for the first time as the rear tire went over a painted stripe, nothing interesting...just the ABS sound and a twitch in the handle. Still topping out at 75mph. Not dead yet, not even close....I'm working on it though.

A thought. If the speed limit is a rule or a guideline...which many freely disobey...why should others get chastised for breaking the social rule of "left lane for passing". They're breaking the same kind of rule (if not an even weaker one) than you are by speeding.

I'll check back in at 6000 miles or 6 months...I'm supposed to be dead by then according to the "experts".

P.S. Still lovin' the GS...on pavement and fire roads.

PSS: Review this page for a thorough understanding of your and other state laws: http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html . According to the chart and my understanding, I can drive in any lane as long as it is keeping up with "normal traffic" and do not need to yield to speeders. When dropping below "normal traffic" you must move right until an acceptable lane is found for your rate. Left lane is for "normal" speeds as dictated by traffic around you. The vehicle code actually states this is all regardless of the speed limit. So if the average speed is 70mph, you may drive 70 in any lane regardless of the signage. This rule changes as lane numbers decrease. The TWO right lanes are actually available for slower traffic on 4+ lane highways allowing overtaking on the right or left hand side.

Sniperx screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 10:29 AM
Sniperx is offline   Reply With Quote