Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #76
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,200
Jereny McGrath on Rossi. Very insightful.

http://cyclenews.uberflip.com/i/209493/38

Also good to see Amdrea Wilson working full time for Cycle News. She is churning out some good material.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #77
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Jereny McGrath on Rossi. Very insightful.

Yep, he sums it up pretty well, father time is a bitch.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #78
mdubya
Right Brigade

Seeing how quickly Pol (who I was not convinced has what it takes and I may still have some doubts ) has adapted to the pedestrian version of the M1, it makes me wonder what his performance might be like if he had been brought straight into the factory team?

Marquez's accelerated rise was facilitated by Casey Stoner retiring. Otherwise, MM would have been on the Gresini Team and would not now be WC, IMHO.

If I were Yamaha and Ducati, I would be developing my bikes to suit Pol and Iannone. They may never best Marquez, but we know they can bring it to him, given the chance.

If I were Honda, I would develop the Production Racer around Scott Redding for the same reasons.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #79
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,111
Quote:
Seeing how quickly Pol (who I was not convinced has what it takes and I may still have some doubts ) has adapted to the pedestrian version of the M1, it makes me wonder what his performance might be like if he had been brought straight into the factory team?

Marquez's accelerated rise was facilitated by Casey Stoner retiring. Otherwise, MM would have been on the Gresini Team and would not now be WC, IMHO.
It would have been the 'Gresini' team. With all HRC crew, full factory support, someone senior supporting Hernandez, and about twice as many people in the garage as Bautista has. It would have been as 'satellite' as Rossi's Nastro Azzurro team in 2000. And it would have made little difference to his championship position. The rookie rule was always a bit of a red herring.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #80
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,099
Quote:

If he does pretty well in 2014 I think Yamaha will definitely want get him up to the factory team rather than have Rossi stick around for more 4th place finishes.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #81
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
It would have been the 'Gresini' team. With all HRC crew, full factory support, someone senior supporting Hernandez, and about twice as many people in the garage as Bautista has. It would have been as 'satellite' as Rossi's Nastro Azzurro team in 2000. And it would have made little difference to his championship position. The rookie rule was always a bit of a red herring.
He would have had one more factory Honda to contend with and considerably lower expectations. He may have still shined right through.

Either way, my post was more wondering how Espargaro would go with the level of support and expectation Marquez receives.

Either way, if you think I am doubting Marc's abilities or the validity of his championship, you couldn't be more wrong.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:42 AM   #82
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,031
Quote:
He would have had one more factory Honda to contend with and considerably lower expectations. He may have still shined right through.

Either way, my post was more wondering how Espargaro would go with the level of support and expectation Marquez receives.

Either way, if you think I am doubting Marc's abilities or the validity of his championship, you couldn't be more wrong.
I get what you are saying, regarding MM. No doubt the season would have been different with CS27 on the grid. The points allocation would have been enough to change the results. I still don't understand why Pol is considered a better prospect than his brother, though. And I don't get the Redding selection at all.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:07 AM   #83
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,361
MotoGP analysis: Looking for pointers from Valencia

In his first column for BT Sport, David Emmett reflects on what he's seen at testing in Valencia and asks: "Who can beat Marquez?"

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #84
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,127
I never calculated the mileage math before.

15.5? That's a joke!
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:48 AM   #85
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,031
That was a good article by Krop in BT Sport. What is BT Sport? Is it a general sports news outlet like SI.com?
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #86
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
That was a good article by Krop in BT Sport. What is BT Sport? Is it a general sports news outlet like SI.com?
BTSport is the new televiser of MotoGP in the UK

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #87
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
BT Sport is the TV arm of British Telecom.

Great insight from Mat Oxley here about JB's departure including some words from the great man himself.
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ra...togp/#comments
Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #88
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,165
Quote:
I agree.

Nick did not look comfortable on the bike. Both he and, even more so, Redding, look positively huge on the little RC, which always looks sizable with Pedrosa and MM on board.

All will play out. I hope Aspar is planning to do the Jerez test at the end of the month. Not sure HRC has enough bikes for them yet, though.
Well, he's coming from the Duc, which looked like it was rolling on car tires the way it resisted turning and lean angle. He might just be a bit dizzy on the Honda.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #89
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
Impressive lap from Smith:

1. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 30.287s (Lap 54/56)
2. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 30.598s (35/36)
3. Stefan Bradl GER LCR Honda MotoGP (RC213V) 1m 30.868s (20/23)
4. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 30.992s (32/49)
5. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 31.533s (12/28)
6. Andrea Iannone ITA Energy T.I. Pramac Racing (GP13) 1m 31.594s (49/50)
7. Alvaro Bautista ESP Go&Fun Honda Gresini (RC213V) 1m 31.665s (32/34)
8. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (GP13) 1m 31.716s (33/36)
9. Aleix Espargaro ESP NGM Forward Racing (FTR-Yamaha M1) 1m 31.724s (27/41)
10. Michele Pirro ITA Ducati Test Team (GP13) 1m 31.969s (25/34)
11. Cal Crutchlow GBR Ducati Team (GP13) 1m 32.102s (24/36)
12. Nicky Hayden USA Power Electronics Aspar (Honda RCV1000R) 1m 32.123s (37/40)
13. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN Power Electronics Aspar (Honda RCV1000R) 1m 32.530s (27/52)
14. Michael Laverty GBR Paul Bird Motorsport (PBM-ART) 1m 33.055s (43/44)

These were the 3pm times today at Valencia, from crash.net. Apparently it was just the single quick lap from Smith, with not much fuel in the tank. Still ... that's within half a tenth of Marquez yesterday, and faster than Lorenzo went yesterday.

(And a second and a half quicker than Cal. )
Old 11-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #90
gonnagetthere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
I suspect any rider the size of Nicky will have difficulty adjusting to the small size of the RCV1000R. To be honest, I question whether Nicky will ever overcome that challenge.

Not sure what the conditions or circumstances at the track are currently, but last report I saw had Nicky +1.8 behind Marquez and in 13 position.

I realize Nicky is very methodical in his approach, and has a myriad of things to do. I also know it's only the first test, but I hope Nicky can get a lot closer to the front before the end of the day. I'd like to believe there's reason for hope until the next test session.
gonnagetthere is offline   Reply With Quote