Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #16
TorontoAlex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
When do you guys encounter deer the most? I only wish I knew where they hid out here. I'd love to fill the freezer with delicious deer.
TorontoAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #17
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,511
Only see them between Midnight and 11:59 P.M. where I am.

These aren't Union deer, that's fer sure.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #18
przjohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
We just recently lost a great friend and long time riding buddy. 1993 New England Enduro Champion Kemp Stewart was killed less than 2 miles from his house riding to work. He was a talented and experienced rider who just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time when a Deer jumped out in front of him. He wil be missed by all who knew him.
przjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #19
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
This past summer, just after sunup, two of us were headed up Cameron Pass from the west side... of course we were observing the speed limit... A smallish buck mule deer ran up to the gravel along the road side and just put on the breaks as my buddy ripped past. If the deer had jumped once more my pal would have took him at about the 5th rib. I hit the breaks and laid on the horn - he spun and ran back down towards the river. The front rider never even saw the deer. Mornings and evenings - gotta watch for critters!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #20
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
A few years back , I was on my way to the river for the Thursday Night Ride , buger and beer thing. Running late on single lane roads at 60-70 mph , bushes right to the edge of the pavement, then whoa a deer jumped right in front of my M-900 Ducati.
I was sure I would soon be out of fun and didn't want to see that happen so, I closed my eyes to wait for the impact.
And nothing,I guess the deer spronged away, so I opened my eyes because I knew there was a corner coming up.
20 minutes later I made to the river and was still , uh, vibrating from the excess adrenalin.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #21
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,298
I nose wheelied and crossed up a 650 V-strom as a really BIG buck sprinted full chat across my bow,I was going about 60 and had my fingers on the ft brake before it happened.

One of the biggest bucks Ive seen and he was stretched out sprinting hard.
Filled my whole field of vision and was gone.

The guy right behind me said it was quite a sight seeing the strom doing a crossed up nose wheelie at speed,it happened and was over so quick It felt like a dream.

I go slower during deer hours,AM and dusk.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #22
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444

+4 more in cars
Old 11-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #23
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,504
It was just too nice Sunday so I broke my own rule about riding during deer season.

No incidents, I did see several in the woods, and did get on the brakes just in case. But no cases.

I did have one walk out in front of me on my bicycle. The look on their face as I yell at them 5 feet away is great. Again, no harm to me or the deer. Although it did seem that the deer just jumped at random, so I think I will announce my presence from a greater distance. Right now deer poop is full of persimmon seeds, and there is a LOT on the roads.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #24
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,511
Saturday I got an encore performance.

Just rolling along minding my own business and as I approached, this buck came across the fence on the left, crossed the gravel road and joined another deer across the fence on the right. They then took off running along the fence line in the direction I was headed.

The fence then changed to a line of trees with fence and I couldn't see them any longer. But I'm onto their tricks and kept an eye peeled for them.

Sure enough here comes the same buck, from the right this time. Only as he tried to get over the fence he got tangled in the brush and landed on his knees and belly in the gravel road ahead of me , then quickly scrambled on over the fence on the left.

Kinda makes you wonder how evolution allows these animals to survive.

Deer thought process,

"Hmm, here comes a threat. I'm gonna avoid risk by jumping a fence, running in front of the threat, then, I'll jump another fence and run along with the threat. Then, I'm gonna jump in front of it again crossing two fences so I can go back to the field where I started."

"Yep, that ought to reduce my exposure to danger."

"Hold my deer and watch this."

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #25
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Saturday I got an encore performance.

Just rolling along minding my own business and as I approached, this buck came across the fence on the left, crossed the gravel road and joined another deer across the fence on the right. They then took off running along the fence line in the direction I was headed.

The fence then changed to a line of trees with fence and I couldn't see them any longer. But I'm onto their tricks and kept an eye peeled for them.

Sure enough here comes the same buck, from the right this time. Only as he tried to get over the fence he got tangled in the brush and landed on his knees and belly in the gravel road ahead of me , then quickly scrambled on over the fence on the left.

Deer thought process,

"Hmm, here comes a threat. I'm gonna avoid risk by jumping a fence, running in front of the threat, then, I'll jump another fence and run along with the threat. Then, I'm gonna jump in front of it again crossing two fences so I can go back to the field where I started."

"Yep, that ought to reduce my exposure to danger."

"Hold my deer and watch this."
Haw! That's a whitetailed deer, hyperactive little boogers. Our muleys will stand there chewing a cud while we ride by. The young sometimes get jumpy but generally I guess they're much calmer animals. You do not want to hit an elk of any age....
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #26
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444
Best Advrider Deer Strike Ever

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=31
Old 11-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #27
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Evolution was probably keeping them in small numbers. But then we came into the picture. And we worked on a couple of relatives of the deer to make them even more stupider and slower than the deer: the milk and the beef cows. So the wolves and other natural hunters, including ourselves, started paying attention to those fenced, easier and meatier prays. And the deer population started to grow. Then we stepped in once again and made it even worse by getting rid of the wolves to keep our fenced cows only to ourselves. Now we need to hunt more deer. Or ride more.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 08:57 AM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #28
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
More importantly...you probably MISSED the SECOND one.

They always...always...travel in PAIRS!

If you see ONE...expect another one to be 'waiting in the wings' to ruin your day.

Particularly around the southern end of Yellowstone Park!

DAMHIK.
I know why people say this but it just is not true. Does and young-uns are usually in packs but bucks most often travel alone. At this time of year, young deer are often alone as well when momma goes into heat and beds down with a buck. During the rut (peak is right now in the mid-Atlantic region), groups are often scattered for hours at a time and while they will come together again, there is an increased likelihood of encountering a stray single.

I know that it is easy to give advice that errs on the side of caution and that is why people make statements like this. It is better to assume they are not alone but it is not a factual statement to indicate that they are incapable of traveling alone.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #29
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,685
A buddy had a close call recently- very close, I guess, cuz afterwards there was fur on his exhaust. Must'a been one of those super slo mo incidents, by the way he described it...
He definitely got lucky.
I told him, all that clean livin just paid off!
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #30
dmftoy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Did my part this morning

dmftoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote