Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #31
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
Do a BMSK reset and take it take it for a ride. During the beta test I could see the adaption continuing for a few hundred miles but the biggest adjustment seemed to be during the first 50 or so.
I am going to leave the resetting alone for now. Without a GS-911, I would be crap shooting. As it runs good, but not with the power of the DJ, it at least gives a good start, as to avoid the crappy running beginning. I am certain that the BMSK will adapt ok from here.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #32
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
Looks like good progress today. You're probably getting the faster start because the BMSK is back to being the boss. It likes that role.

Keep in mind you're only riding with a 4% enrichment on setting 7. Setting 8 will get you 6% and setting 9 will get 8-9%.

Setting 7 will work for most but I run the equivalent of 8 or 9 on my bike. Take your time, see what you like best. Nice work.

RB
Copy that. It simply sounds like it has less fuel than before. I have tuned many bikes, and have gotten quite familiar with the snappy, crisp sound from a correctly fueled bike. I would say that it just is a tad on the lean side, not quite as mellow as with stock fueling, but somewhere in the middle...... Which is ok, as you pointed out..... I have a few more clicks. I will ride it beginning tomorrow on #7, and see how it behaves.

Erling
Old 11-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #33
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
He doesn't have a GS-911. Will disconnecting the battery for a few minutes clear the BMSK? Do you have to twist and reregister the throttle?
RB
The battery have actually been disconnected for 48 hrs, as I had the air box off, so if this is the way to do it..... then it has been reset.....

Erling
Old 11-13-2013, 04:23 AM   #34
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
He doesn't have a GS-911. Will disconnecting the battery for a few minutes clear the BMSK? Do you have to twist and reregister the throttle?
RB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
The battery have actually been disconnected for 48 hrs, as I had the air box off, so if this is the way to do it..... then it has been reset.....
I think that will do it!

Maybe someone else can chime in, but I don't think you need to do the throttle twist procedure like some earlier BMW's to re-register the throttle.
jscottyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:26 AM   #35
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
...I am certain that the BMSK will adapt ok from here.
Yes, it certainly will but the process will be quicker after a reset... I think!

Sounds like you are on that path.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:18 AM   #36
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
I think that will do it!

Maybe someone else can chime in, but I don't think you need to do the throttle twist procedure like some earlier BMW's to re-register the throttle.
I dont know for sure, but I think the BMSK would yell at me if something was out of whack..... ( loss of throttle input)

Erling
Old 11-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #37
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,037
EB, Based on how setting 7 came up quickly, and your objectives, I think you should go right to setting 8 (or at least go there tomorrow). To get setting 8 (get out your magnifying glass ;) ) and turn the pot counterclockwise one tiny line, which means from about 11am to 10am. Then verify 8 flashes immediately after starting.
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #38
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Roger,

I have a question on the XIED. Does it richen the mixture across all throttle settings? Just curios if it's possible to still run at stoich during steady state cruising for fuel economy, but have richer mixture at both low throttle, as well as when you get on it. Kind of like having an adjustable low speed jet, and an accelerator pump in carb terms? The device has certainly got my interest, now that you guys have educated me, on the limited functionality of the PCV, as compared to how it works on other bikes.

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #39
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK650 View Post
Roger,

I have a question on the XIED. Does it richen the mixture across all throttle settings? Just curios if it's possible to still run at stoich during steady state cruising for fuel economy, but have richer mixture at both low throttle, as well as when you get on it. Kind of like having an adjustable low speed jet, and an accelerator pump in carb terms? The device has certainly got my interest, now that you guys have educated me, on the limited functionality of the PCV, as compared to how it works on other bikes.

Jeff
Jeff.
The way the XIED works, is that it plugs in between the stock O2 sensor and the BMSK. In doing so it " messages" the signal from the O2 sensor, in this case to make the BMSK think that it is lean, and to add fuel. The thing is that the change is done in Closed Loop. When is closed loop on the 8GS..... I have seen many answers from many smart people, but the answers are not consistent. The way I look at this, is that I can manipulate the AFR control in Closed Loop, and hope there is some adaptation in open look as well.

Erling
Old 11-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #40
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Thanks Erling! Cant wait to hear how your works out after some extended use. Thanks to you, and everyone else who's shared there finding on the various fueling products!

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #41
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,037
Quote:
Roger,

Jeff
Jeff,
The XIED creates a new reference point. Rather than changing from rich to lean voltage at 14.7:1 you can select other ratios. Once you do the BMSK uses what it learns during closed loop (cruising) operation to adjust Open Loop fueling.

It turns out that a slightly richer cruise creates a better roll-on throttle response as well.

As far as mileage goes from the richer cruise, about half the added fuel is used to produce power and half goes out the tailpipe. So if you add 6% fuel mileage at high cruise >65 MPH goes down about 3% but for speeds below that you will often run a higher gear and get better mileage.
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #42
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks Erling! Cant wait to hear how your works out after some extended use. Thanks to you, and everyone else who's shared there finding on the various fueling products!

Jeff

Erling
Old 11-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #43
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

50 miles on the clock......With some early observations.

1) The tone has not changed since install. Same mellower tone as compared to the PC-5/AT fueled bike.

2) The bike does NOT show the early low mpg numbers that the DJ fueled bike did, during first few gears.

3) MPG is hard to calculate, as I am riding like a hooligan to try to gauge the performance, but after 50 miles, the clock says 50 mpg. I don't thing that really means anything, as I am riding like an idiot.....albeit a rather happy one....

3) I am still on setting #7 to establish a base feel.

4) I have lost power. No if's but's, or when's..... I have lost power. How much..... I'd say this puts it back to stock fuel, with header, and pipe...... IE.... stock fuel. That does not necessarily concern me at this point as, one.... It is still
adapting.....and, Two..... I am at a 14.1 AFR...... which is less than I was at before. Mind you, that even after I ended up at 14 AFR with the dynojet, I think it was running richer than that.

5) The only time it behaves as good as the DJ fueled bike, is at 60 mph in 6 gear, and you WOT the bike..... same pull

6) Off idle burble ( hop) is more noticeable, and I do not like that. I know I have a Rekluse clutch in there, but it annoys the hell out of me. I am hoping that will minimize as I go lower AFR.

7) Throttle response is not as crisp as before, hands down. It is now somewhat muffled, and hard to id the crisp onset, when opening the throttle, and not WOT, but either. Nowhere it should be.

8) I now get a double pop at 2800-3000 rpm on decel, as SAS engages, with the DJ I would occasionally get a single pop.

This sounds like a boat load of trouble, but it is really not. I am encouraged to as what I see so far. I am a straight shooter, that deliver the news as they are. I do not bias anything. My personal thinking is that all the above symptoms are just of a too lean fueled bike, and it just needs more fuel in my app, as open headers, and pipe have shown they perform, with correct fueling. So with that said, I will ride another 50-100 miles on #7 and then go to #8, for a 13.8 AFR, and see what happens.

Erling
Old 11-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #44
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
This sounds like a boat load of trouble, but it is really not. I am encouraged to as what I see so far. I am a straight shooter, that deliver the news as they are. I do not bias anything. My personal thinking is that all the above symptoms are just of a too lean fueled bike, and it just needs more fuel in my app, as open headers, and pipe have shown they perform, with correct fueling. So with that said, I will ride another 50-100 miles on #7 and then go to #8, for a 13.8 AFR, and see what happens.
Methodical; I love it!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #45
murph76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
hey erling explain

why go through al this trouble .... why not stick with the cheaters ie...booster plug or htcasses deal?.....keep it simple stupid? just wondering
murph76 is offline   Reply With Quote