Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #91
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnagetthere View Post
I suspect any rider the size of Nicky will have difficulty adjusting to the small size of the RCV1000R. To be honest, I question whether Nicky will ever overcome that challenge.

Not sure what the conditions or circumstances at the track are currently, but last report I saw had Nicky +1.8 behind Marquez and in 13 position.

I realize Nicky is very methodical in his approach, and has a myriad of things to do. I also know it's only the first test, but I hope Nicky can get a lot closer to the front before the end of the day. I'd like to believe there's reason for hope until the next test session.
Please see post #69.

DougZ73 screwed with this post 11-13-2013 at 01:12 PM
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #92
gonnagetthere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Ok...it was 12th position and Moronic made post 89 as I was composing mine.
gonnagetthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #93
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
Smith is really looking good. It's been a tough year for him with MM as an example.
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #94
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnagetthere View Post
Ok...it was 12th position and Moronic made post 89 as I was composing mine.
Its all good. My point is just, in terms of Nicky, I am personally not too worried about the early testing. He'll get suited to the new bike, both for sizing and how a "good" bike handles and runs. After all, he did win the championship in 2006, with a bike, a Honda, that was set up for someone of Pedrosa's size.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #95
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Its all good. My point is just, in terms of Nicky, I am personally not too worried about the early testing. He'll get suited to the new bike, both for sizing and how a "good" bike handles and runs. After all, he did win the championship in 2006, with a bike, a Honda, that was set up for someone of Pedrosa's size.
I wouldn't expect too much on a 3rd rate Honda. Top 10 would be a good result.
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #96
maloosik
Squishimus Squidimus

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th-Elefant View Post
I wouldn't expect too much on a 3rd rate Honda. Top 10 would be a good result.

Factory Honda
Factory Yamaha
Factory Honda
Factory Yamaha
Satellite Yamaha
Satellite Honda
Satellite Honda
Satellite Yamaha
Factory Ducati
Factory Ducati
Factory Ducati

* - Somewhere about there is where Nicky, Colin, a Ducati, and Aleix will be battling, so yes I agree, a top 10 finish for the "open" prototypes seems to be where the 2nd tier battles will take place, unless the TT's get slower.

That's how I see it.
I am happy to be here in this country and to know that the sport here is also important because the crowd here know about bikes and the riders, no? So they so much love. So it's important that this sport can grow up in this country... ~ Whorehay Lorenzo

maloosik screwed with this post 11-13-2013 at 11:47 AM
maloosik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #97
DougZ73
Fading off.........

I expect the Proddy Honda's to be faster than the Ducs, battling for positions with the satellite Honda's, but behind the Factory Yami's and Honda's, and satellite Yami's.

But who knows, the fastest and best handling bike this year, is not necessarily the same the following year. Sometimes, but not always.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #98
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by maloosik View Post
Factory Honda
Factory Yamaha
Factory Honda
Factory Yamaha
Satellite Yamaha
Satellite Honda
Satellite Honda
Satellite Yamaha
Factory Ducati
Factory Ducati
Factory Ducati

Somewhere about here is where Nicky, Colin, a Ducati, and Aleix will be battling, so yes I agree, a top 10 finish for the "open" prototypes seems to be where the 2nd tier battles will take place, unless the TT's get slower.

That's how I see it.

Yeah, pretty much, but that's still ahead of the Red Devils.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #99
misanthropic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Nick spent five years learning how to ride the Duc TT. Now he has to unlearn all that, and relearn how to ride a bike that operates the way it is supposed to. Patience grasshoppers.
Plus there is only one Honda for all of them to test. Once he gets his own copy it can be better set up for his size and style.
misanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #100
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,501
Quote:
Factory Honda
Factory Yamaha
Factory Honda
Factory Yamaha
Satellite Yamaha
Satellite Honda
Satellite Honda
Satellite Yamaha
Factory Ducati
Factory Ducati
Factory Ducati

* - Somewhere about there is where Nicky, Colin, a Ducati, and Aleix will be battling, so yes I agree, a top 10 finish for the "open" prototypes seems to be where the 2nd tier battles will take place, unless the TT's get slower.

That's how I see it.
I expect A. Espargaro to do a bit better on the Forward Yamaha than the proddy Hondas, at least initially. Maybe even taking it the Satellite Yams, on occasion.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #101
maloosik
Squishimus Squidimus

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
I expect A. Espargaro to do a bit better on the Forward Yamaha than the proddy Hondas, at least initially. Maybe even taking it the Satellite Yams, on occasion.
It seems your expectation is sound, perhaps due to the rider, or is it due to the Forward engine being essentially the current Tech 3 mill hobbled by Dorna ECU, versus the RCV satellite mill (less pneumatic valvetrain) also hobbled by Dorna ECU?.... meaning the Yamaha "open" bike may be a better base engine ? I noticed you didn't mention Colin specifically.
I am happy to be here in this country and to know that the sport here is also important because the crowd here know about bikes and the riders, no? So they so much love. So it's important that this sport can grow up in this country... ~ Whorehay Lorenzo
maloosik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #102
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Is Dorna continuing to develop the spec ECU software, or is it fixed for the season as of now (or at some point in the future)?

It seems that over race distance, the open bikes should (theoretically) have an effective power advantage, as they can run a higher-power, lower-efficiency mapping for more of the race versus the factory/satellite bikes. Even though the factory teams can presumably out-tune the open teams, a 20% difference in fuel allocation means that the open bikes can be 10% less efficient and still more powerful (I think)....and the times posted show only a 2% difference in single-lap times, from Marquez to Hayden.

I'm hoping that we'll see less of an obvious pecking order based on machinery and more varied results from week to week next year, but maybe I'm just an optimist.
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #103
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th-Elefant View Post
Smith is really looking good. It's been a tough year for him with MM as an example.
I hope Smith progresses.

It got a bit frustrating with him in Moto2, he seemed unable or unwilling to aggressively re-pass when he got mugged. Always seemed to settle for 5th or 6th place.

He's been top 10 on the Tech-3 bike, but - as a fan - I'd like to see some fight out of him.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #104
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,501
Quote:
It seems your expectation is sound, perhaps due to the rider, or is it due to the Forward engine being essentially the current Tech 3 mill hobbled by Dorna ECU, versus the RCV satellite mill (less pneumatic valvetrain) also hobbled by Dorna ECU?.... meaning the Yamaha "open" bike may be a better base engine ? I noticed you didn't mention Colin specifically.
Yes.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #105
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,367
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote