Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #976
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post
Was it the chain? I can't really tell.
\Full screen on my 21" monitor, I can see the chain is VERY loose. It comes off he waves and starts coasting hits the brake, then it looks like the chain got caught between the sprocket and swingarm locking up the rear tire. I'm gonna say it was the chain.

Maintenance.... it can hurt,
Old 10-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #977
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,990
yup chain loose,hanging down, off the sprocket and I think that is why his hand is up... as in a problem, ie signal he is exiting, there is also a sharp cluck just before the rear wheel starts to slide. Perhaps where it got caught as mentioned.
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #978
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
I don't see how the chain locked the rear wheel so I'm saying it was the brake. After all, if the chain jammed locking the rear wheel, the rider wouldn't THEN put on the rear brake so I reason that the rider wasn't sensing a locked or dragging rear wheel when he put on the brake.

Therefore the brake was what caused the high side - not the chain. That's my reasoning but I can't prove it even to myself.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #979
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,244
Brakes. Step through the slow-mo replay, you can see the chain's flopping about all through the crash. Plus, if it had jammed, it wouldn't have un-jammed by itself.

Why is it the R6 owners? I had a kid come take a basic class; rode his R6 up after lunch, asked what I thought. (I thougth if you were clever, you would have got endorsed before the $720 ticket / court ordered class... but I kept that thought in my head.)

I reached out with thumb and finger and plucked the chain off the rear sprocket and said "I think you should fix that..." He had no idea that chains need any sort of maintenance or adjusting.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #980
Lep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
In the loose chain video I think the rear wheel locked up because with the chain off it was no longer connected to the engine. Hence no engine parts inertia to overcome before the wheel locked.

I thought the rider did a pretty good job of trying to warn following riders he had a problem and he would not have expected the rear to lock up so readily.
Lep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #981
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I don't see how the chain locked the rear wheel so I'm saying it was the brake. After all, if the chain jammed locking the rear wheel, the rider wouldn't THEN put on the rear brake so I reason that the rider wasn't sensing a locked or dragging rear wheel when he put on the brake.
No, no, not that simple. Chain coming off doesn't ALWAYS lock up the rear immediately. So chain comes off, bike is still rolling, he waves, starts to brake. You can see this in the video. The chain is off first, then the brake light comes on.

THEN a second later the chain gets caught, locks up. After the bike takes a tumble and the wheel isn't turning forward any more, the chain comes loose again.

It's possible and I'm willing to give him credit for that being the scenario. Otherwise there is nothing about the chain being off that would motivate someone to lock up the rear brake. The wave (for whatever reason) which came after the chain was already off, indicates that he was hardly in a panic.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #982
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
No, no, not that simple. Chain coming off doesn't ALWAYS lock up the rear immediately. So chain comes off, bike is still rolling, he waves, starts to brake. You can see this in the video. The chain is off first, then the brake light comes on.

THEN a second later the chain gets caught, locks up. After the bike takes a tumble and the wheel isn't turning forward any more, the chain comes loose again.

It's possible and I'm willing to give him credit for that being the scenario. Otherwise there is nothing about the chain being off that would motivate someone to lock up the rear brake. The wave (for whatever reason) which came after the chain was already off, indicates that he was hardly in a panic.
I'm not so sure. At first he's obviously on the front brake, right foot up on the ball. Then you can just barely see his right leg move and the rear locks up. As soon as the bike pitches enough to move his body, at like 1:29,you can see the wheel start moving again.
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #983
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post

Agreed. Whatever he may have goofed on maintenance (if he even goofed-- shit fails), he recognized there was a problem, went to get off the road, deliberately braked, and THEN things went pear-shaped.

He may have caused it... or he may not have been able to save it.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #984
pinocono
Husky Dü

Oddometer: 448
pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #985
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinocono View Post

nice!

I followed Ducati all the way through Malibu one day and they guy had a girl on the back in a full body Latex suit and she was splayed out in a similar fashion. I followed them for a good hour and it made for some.....uncomfortable moments
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #986
wiseblood OP
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
...and they guy had a girl on the back in a full body Latex suit...

Did she wear that because it looked like leather, so maybe it would protect like leather?

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #987
ongrade
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post

Did she wear that because it looked like leather, so maybe it would protect like leather?
Know how we know your gay?

ongrade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #988
wiseblood OP
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ongrade View Post
Know how we know your gay?

Post some pictures, and let's talk.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #989
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benduro View Post
Shadow angles don't seem to mach?
Old 11-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #990
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post

This is Los Angeles - nobody cares about function, only aesthetics!

and it was something like this

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote