Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #76
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WDcanuck View Post
Really enjoyed your RR!! I grew up in Cartier and like you spent many great days at Windy Lake and the surrounding area. (Living in Toronto now for the past 25 years). I get up there a few times a year and always make a point to stop in at High Falls. Keep the RR's coming. Love seeing guys do these rides on the smaller more sensible bikes. Just picked up a 2014 CRF 250L a month ago.
Have high hopes to get many miles on next summer. Maybe I'll get up to TBay
for a visit. Make my mandatory stop at the Hoito!!!
Thanks 2WDcanuck! I assume you knew the McGowan's in Cartier? They ran the post office. I wonder if Pete's caves still exist in Cartier. It was fun exploring those as a kid. PM me - if you want a place to stay the next time you are riding through Thunder Bay. I think the Honda CRF250L is a fantastic bike - and outstanding value. I love my WR250R - but it cost me an arm and a leg to purchase it.

Mike

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #77
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophijo View Post
A great trip and a really outstanding report; extraordinary writing and a ton of photos! Perfect!!
Thanks Sophijo! I had so much fun riding the CBR. Riding a slower bike does present some challenges - but that is what makes it interesting. And riding slower allows me to appreciate the scenery much more. It's fun to re-read the report after some time has passed. It recaptures the thrill of adventure I felt when I was out there doing it. I hope to keep on touring, camping, and writing!! Nobody ever warned me about how addictive this would be.

Mike
Old 11-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #78
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Thanks for the reply re Giant Loop possibilities. I had forgotten that in order to really have waterproofness one would have to buy the specially shaped dry bags to go inside the saddlebags. The saddlebag itself is only described on their website as "water resistant". I think they could stand to make that much more obvious on the site instead of throwing around stuff about "trucker's tarps" and "mil-spec" (especially w/o calling out the spec itself). One thing about the dry bags is that they would serve to organize the load a bit, it could still be a hassle finding something to take out if you stop along the way.

Loved the report! Looking forward to your next one!
I must admit that I could never go back to non-waterproof saddles or tailbag. It's nice to have no worries about whether my gear will be dry when setting up my sleeping quarters for the evening - while riding through hard driving rain. It's hard to express the amount of satisfaction I feel when I am cold and wet - then change into dry clothes and climb onto my dry, warm, and cozy bed in the tent. It feels almost like home. What is nice too - is that I can leave the saddles and Givi on the bike overnight. They're always dry inside - even if it rains all night. And another nice thing about the Ortlieb saddles and Givi case is that it allows me to organize my gear based on where I decide to place it. The tent poles, sleeping bag, sandals, rain-gear, and air bed go in the Givi. The left saddle contains the tent, and tool bag, and the right saddle contains my clothes and electronics. This system works pretty well for me. Having said that - it seems like there are riders who love the Giant Loop stuff and it seems to work well for them.

Mike
Old 11-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #79
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Thanks for the insight Mike. Each rider seems to work out a system that works for him/her. You've got a system that's perfect for you....and I agree wholeheartedly about the importance of keeping the water out of the luggage! It's no good warming up and drying off if you don't have dry clothes to change into. H2O will ruin cameras, cell phones etc as well. And a big plus for having a place for everything and everything in its place. If you have to find something in the dark you''ll know where to look.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #80
pineknot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Wife and i tried all the big bikes from dual sports to sport bikes to big cruisers. I always wanted a smaller bike and she always wanted a bigger and bigger bike. I finally bought a '08 cbr 125 just because,and darned if it wasn't her favorite bike of the several she had. Right now we have a mgb but she's talking of buying a pair of cbr 125;s to go across Canada on.We live in Nova Scotia so it will be a long trip.
pineknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #81
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineknot View Post
Wife and i tried all the big bikes from dual sports to sport bikes to big cruisers. I always wanted a smaller bike and she always wanted a bigger and bigger bike. I finally bought a '08 cbr 125 just because,and darned if it wasn't her favorite bike of the several she had. Right now we have a mgb but she's talking of buying a pair of cbr 125;s to go across Canada on.We live in Nova Scotia so it will be a long trip.
Pineknot - I hope both of you decide to make a cross-Canada trip on CBR125Rs. It would be an adventure of a lifetime! If you can - add a newer 2011+ model to your stable. Lots of improvements over the older model (which is still a great bike). Also know that you have a place to stay here in Thunder Bay. I'm sure we'd be able to exchange lots of stories.

Mike
Old 02-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #82
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,397
Great write up and photos, Nanabijou! Thanks for the journey and perspective.

Cheers,
Rich
AdvRich is offline   Reply With Quote