Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #46
Dave2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
"Buy what gives you wood" said every fool who bought into the marketing campaign of any company selling any product.

Terrible advice all around. For any purchase.
You are sick. You need help. Oops. Now I get it. Yer jokin, right?

K1200RS 04
KLR 650 08
Dave2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #47
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,587
I bought a used 2007 GS Adventure and flogged it. It put a big stupid smile on my face every time I rode it. I rarely took it off road and that bothered me a little. I often wondered if I wouldn't be better off on an RT. The GSA just kept me smiling though until the day I totalled it (long story but the short version is that a kid made an illegal u-turn in a blind corner of some fantastic twisties where I was riding in a spirited manner).

I decided that the GSA was partially to blame in the crash since it was always taunting me when I wasn't riding with my hair on fire. The replacement was an RT. The RT is a perfectly acceptable bike. It has the same engine as the GSA and has a lot in common. It gets better mileage due to the gearing. It has cruise control and a heated seat. It was a perfect bike for me... on paper.

In the real world, it bored me to death. I tried to love it. I told myself how good it was for me but in my heart, I knew it lacked a soul. It was the bike equivalent to a Toyota Camry. It did everything well and without surprises but never made me say "wow!"

It took me two years to trade it in for another GSA. I will not make that mistake again and I even started looking for excuses to get off-road more often. All is well in the world and I get that stupid grin every single time I ride it.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #48
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
I bought a used 2007 GS Adventure and flogged it. It put a big stupid smile on my face every time I rode it. I rarely took it off road and that bothered me a little. I often wondered if I wouldn't be better off on an RT. The GSA just kept me smiling though until the day I totalled it (long story but the short version is that a kid made an illegal u-turn in a blind corner of some fantastic twisties where I was riding in a spirited manner).

I decided that the GSA was partially to blame in the crash since it was always taunting me when I wasn't riding with my hair on fire. The replacement was an RT. The RT is a perfectly acceptable bike. It has the same engine as the GSA and has a lot in common. It gets better mileage due to the gearing. It has cruise control and a heated seat. It was a perfect bike for me... on paper.

In the real world, it bored me to death. I tried to love it. I told myself how good it was for me but in my heart, I knew it lacked a soul. It was the bike equivalent to a Toyota Camry. It did everything well and without surprises but never made me say "wow!"

It took me two years to trade it in for another GSA. I will not make that mistake again and I even started looking for excuses to get off-road more often. All is well in the world and I get that stupid grin every single time I ride it.

I did something similar. R1200GS to a Triumph Scrambler, to a BMW R1200ST and back home to the R1200GS. It just fits me like no other bike has.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:43 AM   #49
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post

Same thing happened to me. I was always asking my wife to ride with me. I wanted her to be comfy, so I bought a 2012 RT. I think she rode with me 4 times after that. Lesson learned - but a bike for you, not your wife. It did everything very well, but it just had no soul. I took the GSW for a ride, and instantly all the passion returned. Goodbye RT. Put it this way, the RT went "vrrrrrrrrrr vrrrrrrrrr ". The GSW goes "VROOOOM VROOOOM!!"
:)
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #50
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,257
Funny, but bikes with lots of power do not do it for me on the street, because you can not use it around here without getting locked up.
Its amazing the range of bikes that people like, for various reasons.

But you can not ride if locked up, or have no licence, so the bikes I tend to enjoy are small, light, under powered ones I can flog and abuse, without getting tickets.

Every time I get a big bike, I get tickets, and then tend to be bored doing speed limits.

I then go back to the smaller bikes and back to low speed road racing.

The last two big bikes did not last very long at all, I think I put 7000 miles on both, and they were just a ride, or worse, I have over 20,000 miles on my TU250 and plan on keeping it a long time.
Every ride is track day...
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #51
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
I ride conservatively 95% of the time but my Bandit 1200 always makes me crack a smile when I wick it up through the gears every so often. My Weestrom was a little more comfortable, had better weather protection, got better gas mileage, etc. but it wasn't as fun and it sure didn't look as good as the B12.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #52
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Funny, but bikes with lots of power do not do it for me on the street, because you can not use it around here without getting locked up.
Its amazing the range of bikes that people like, for various reasons.

But you can not ride if locked up, or have no licence, so the bikes I tend to enjoy are small, light, under powered ones I can flog and abuse, without getting tickets.

Every time I get a big bike, I get tickets, and then tend to be bored doing speed limits.

I then go back to the smaller bikes and back to low speed road racing.

The last two big bikes did not last very long at all, I think I put 7000 miles on both, and they were just a ride, or worse, I have over 20,000 miles on my TU250 and plan on keeping it a long time.
Every ride is track day...
What he said.