Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #196
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
Great route, maybe the NBCDR, or at least part of it.
Thanks. All the routes we have run in Nevada have been great!

I am sure I could give some really constructive input to whoever it is who makes those Back Country Discovery Routes about cool stuff to see and roads to ride in Nevada. I know a few other people who would be full of information as well.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #197
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I am sure I could give some really constructive input to whoever it is who makes those Back Country Discovery Routes
I think it's 4M Inc, Master Marine Map Maker

I'm torn, I like the idea of a NBCDR but don't want anyone to use it
Old 10-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #198
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,523
Really great shots you guys. Fantastic route (s) and you hit the weather just perfectly - VERY well done!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #199
BUSdriver
Pop Copy Manager

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Great photos!
they are all nice, but really like the panos.
beautiful stuff.
Thank you... I'm glad you like them.

I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by noon I'm only half done.

http://mototrailadventures.blogspot.com/

BUSdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #200
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,303
Great pictures and narration. Love the West. My problem is an older dude traveling solo gotta be extra careful LOL. Thanks for all the work and time to bring this report to us. Been though that country lots and never get tired of it.

An '00 KLR 650, An '07 1250S, An '03 5.3L Chevy Truck + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #201
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,695
MM,

Did you post your GPS tracks? Your number of photos swamp my old computer, could not search every page.

l think I have been on the bulk of your route except the north east. Interested in any new connections and gas locations for my Nevada Statewide Motorized Trail System on GPSXchange.com

Jerry
Old 10-31-2013, 05:38 AM   #202
Shadowed_Stranger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Woohoo, since last year I was hoping we'd get another MasterMarine thread this year! I'm hoping one day I can head up to northern NV and ride the beautiful places you do.
Shadowed_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #203
Double H
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,180
Hey Mike, nice job on the RR. How's that 500 treating you?

I had a good chuckle about your kickstand, been there.

Double H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:10 PM   #204
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
I'm torn, I like the idea of a NBCDR but don't want anyone to use it
oldtrucks, I hear you! I want to encourage people to get out there but am afraid that more traffic may cause more closures. That is how it seems to work up here in the PNW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs View Post
Really great shots you guys. Fantastic route (s) and you hit the weather just perfectly - VERY well done!
Hey wachs, Glad you enjoyed the RR. Mid June seems to be working for us. I went a lot of the places you mentioned and they were all really cool. Thanks for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Great pictures and narration. Love the West. My problem is an older dude traveling solo gotta be extra careful LOL. Thanks for all the work and time to bring this report to us. Been though that country lots and never get tired of it.
Hi achesley, Thanks for the positive thoughts. We had a great time. It is way more beautiful than the pictures show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
MM, Did you post your GPS tracks?
Countdown, I am pretty sure I answered this question already. Short story is that I want to retain control of my tracks so I do not post them publicly. If you or someone else wants them to use to plan a trip, then lets talk. Send me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowed_Stranger View Post
Woohoo, since last year I was hoping we'd get another MasterMarine thread this year! I'm hoping one day I can head up to northern NV and ride the beautiful places you do.
Hey Shadowed_Stranger, Thanks for posting your comments. It is really nice to hear you were looking forward to another report. These types of comments are the ones that get all of us excited about writing more ride reports. I had a great time on the ride this year. You are in prime position to go up and explore the ranges of the Toiyabe NF there south of Austin. I sure would like to spend some more time in that area!

Get yourself a Benchmark and hit the road. Let me know when you write up a RR so I can check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double H View Post
Hey Mike, nice job on the RR. How's that 500 treating you?

I had a good chuckle about your kickstand, been there.
Yo HH! Other than the kickstand debacle (I broke the Pro Moto Billet one too. They have great customer service and repaired and upgraded it for me for free. ), the KTM 500 EXC is an amazing machine. I have been doing some single track recently and rode some of the gnarly trails between Lake Wenatchee and Lake Chelan with it. It worked fantastic. There were times when I was chugging around switchbacks on some of that rocky nasty stuff and I was thinking about how I was riding the same bike that I had ridden 1350 miles on in Nevada and then about 700 around the Olympic Peninsula too. It is crazy flexible. I also did some riding at Walker a couple weeks ago and it rips! I am left wondering why you didn't like it??
Old 11-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #205
Shadowed_Stranger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
Hey Shadowed_Stranger, Thanks for posting your comments. It is really nice to hear you were looking forward to another report. These types of comments are the ones that get all of us excited about writing more ride reports. I had a great time on the ride this year. You are in prime position to go up and explore the ranges of the Toiyabe NF there south of Austin. I sure would like to spend some more time in that area!

Get yourself a Benchmark and hit the road. Let me know when you write up a RR so I can check it out!
Toiyabe is a bit too far away from Vegas to ride a 250, and I hate taking the bigger bikes off road, they are just no fun to me. That, and I don't know which side of a screwdriver goes down so I don't want to go too far into the desert alone.

You are right that there is much to explore down here, but it's mostly dirt and rocks, nothing near as beautiful as up north.
Shadowed_Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #206
visualizerent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134

Is this Summit Lake? or Onion Valley Reservoir further north (closer to Denio)?
(Or something else all together?)

Thanks again Master Marine and crew!

Master Marine has some of the most detailed ride reports you will find of this very remote part of the world. Just get a Nevada benchmark atlas and follow along!

Here's what the Jarbidge section of this ride looks like just 5 months later in October. Fantastic fall colors!
Jarbidge NV in Oct?

Juan
Nevada City
KTM 350 EXC-F
Jarbidge NV in Oct?
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #207
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post

Thanks for the kudos. The area is very cool.

Not my pictures but the first one is Knott Creek Reservoir. I think the second one is too just from the other end of the lake. Just slightly south of Onion Valley. Look at 2012 report for more info and pics. That section from Denio Pass to Soldier Meadows was sweet back in '12!
Old 11-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #208
scottbc
advanced lurker

Oddometer: 14
Awsome ride report! Thanks for the time and effort to post it.

When do you think that the earliest in the season for those passes to be free of snow. I've done a fair bit of southern Nevada but would love to get into this area up north/central.

Scott
scottbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #209
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbc View Post
Awsome ride report! Thanks for the time and effort to post it.

When do you think that the earliest in the season for those passes to be free of snow. I've done a fair bit of southern Nevada but would love to get into this area up north/central.

Scott
Hi Scott.
We have had good luck with going down around mid June. The pass south of Jarbidge is cleared by the county prior to July 4th so you should be able to make it into there after that. I was concerned about Ophir Pass (the highest one we have crossed so far at 10,000 feet) since on the Google Earth image, the road is blocked with snow and was dated from October. They changed the image now to a newer one with no snow.

A bigger problem we had was with water crossings at that time of the year since it is during the snow melt period. In 2011 we had some trouble with deep swift crossings and in 2012 I was concerned about crossing the Owyhee (but it turned out ok).

You can try calling the BLM, FS, local ranchers and store owners and County Road offices for conditions info.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #210
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post

The lower one looks like Knott Creek Res