Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2009, 09:11 AM   #16
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 2,193
Put up signs that say "Wheeled vehicle travel only!" must be a reaction to all the "Foot travel only" signs all around me
Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #17
tacodriver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
If you want to make some fun single find an animal trail and follow it until it peters out then bushwack. Helps if you have screens in front of the rads to keep the sticks out. That gully looks good to spice it up I would zig zag across it. Most of all have fun.
tacodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #18
dirtridr5115
dirtridr5115

Oddometer: 24
my turn

hey tected... I wanna come ride the trails now that I finally got a decent woods/trail bike (DRZ 400). So my question to you is.. after all this time are the trails still in existance? I know you been on the 990 kick lately (no more 'small' bike trail riding) so I just wondering if the trails are actually still there still? I can be there sometime in the late spring/summer to ride the trails if you can find a appropriate bike by then (not the 990).
dirtridr5115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #19
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Singletrack is singletrack,like maybe 23" wide,once you start making it quad width it isnt singletrack its doubletrack.

There are sites you can google that would tell you how to make sustainable trail. Having a trail go straight up anything steep will quickly become a rut and can go from bad to worse with a bunch of bikes using it,especially once 1 bike gets stuck and digs a ditch. Switchbacks are the thing and need to be maintained to work.

The singletrack we have here rarely involves catching 3rd gear,steep and tight. A trail you can ride through without much thought quickly becomes boring. But I ride a dirtbike and not a KLR,never seen a KLR on our singletrack in the 40 years Ive been riding.

The quickest way to wreck a trail is for a rider with no clue to get stuck over and over and sit and spin,can ruin a trail in a half hour that has been good for years.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #20
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetched View Post
It's basically a ride in the woods with very little challenge as far as rough terrain goes. It is a little tight in spots with some tight turns. it is not as flat as it looks in the pics,there is probably as much as 200/300' of elevation change with alot of off camber hillside trail. Here are some options that I would like and can add to this track. drop off into a small rocky creek for 100/150yds. Some rock ledge obstcales. (up/down over) and some log crossings.More hillside/off camber stuff.

I'm planning to mark the main route in black with the tougher off chutes in a different color and all bypasses in red. I am only a spectator at races so am not to familiar with what to put in for other riders. I am planning on opening this up for the local area (yea,got the waivers etc...) for local dirt riders only. NO QUADS so I can keep it a true single track. I ride alot of local quad trails and backroads,but nowhere can you go just for bikes.Soooooo..

Should I widen out the turns to keep it flowing,or leave them tight ?

What would YOU look for in a nice practice track?

I would like this to be somewhere where the local boys could come and pound out several practice laps without any interuption from quads or jeeps etc. Once it's broke in I hope to open up in April for riders. So I have a few months to work on it. Total track loop should be around 5.5 to 6 miles when finished

Any Ideas or thoughts would be appreciated

m

I'd say never cut down any tree's bigger than a thumb try to just let the trail flow organically. Leave some log crossings in there, even ones that are above your current skill level. For a true "practice track" you want a little bit of everything. Some hard up hills, some flowy fast sections that'll hopefully develop some ruts or berms and some tight bar banging enduro sections.

Throw in some rocks and let some braking bumps and whoops develop in a few places and you've got a great training loop.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote