Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
In, great report!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #47
Chris Wils
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Hello Dominik.
Great film,I am sure you gone love this BIG country,but be carefull,you ,r gone be hooked on Australiaism,it,s a disease who get,s under your skin,and goes strait to your hart,and you never get rid of this desease,there is no medication for it. Enjoy your trip mate.
O yes,it,s going to freeze the next few days in the Belgian Ardennes,hope you have better weather(I,m sure you have)
Keep posting.
Chris.
Chris Wils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #48
fat spider
Scary Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Dominik I enjoyed your video, it brought many memories flooding back but I kept waiting for the wildlife to come running out of the scrub.
I am not sure what you have been told regarding outback Australia but be aware emus are a very real danger here, they come out of the bush at up to 50 kph with no sense of self preservation hence do not even attempt to avoid a collision.
Bulldust holes are another trap for the unwary, these can be 500mm deep and filled with talcum powder like dust and very hard to see and they claim many riders every year [ myself included ].
But anyhow enough of the negatives, you have a great time and I only wish I was doing it with you.
Keep safe and enjoy your time in our great country.
fat spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #49
dirt_bloke
No idea

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by der-Seppel View Post
A little sneak peek...
How big is the smile on your face riding your bike on the other side of the world?

spielen und genießen!
(yet)
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #50
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Oddometer: 368
Another sneak peek went beach riding yesterday. Got stuck in seaweed :)

Where am I ?
en.dmoto.de Exploring Australia
der-Seppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #51
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat spider View Post
you have a great time and I only wish I was doing it with you.
Keep safe and enjoy your time in our great country.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_bloke View Post
How big is the smile on your face riding your bike on the other side of the world?
it is getting bigger every day

Where am I ?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #52
qvasic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by der-Seppel View Post
Another sneak peek went beach riding yesterday. Got stuck in seaweed :)
Did you get out in time before high tide? :)
qvasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:52 AM   #53
Wimoz
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Ok, I'm in…
We (wife & me) started a tour of Australia three months ago in Brisbane and will leave Perth tomorrow.
We're going to stay in south west Australia for another ten days and then we ride to Adelaide, Tasmania,….Brisbane - so we're going in the same direction.

ps: we bought a bike in Brisbane and we're gonna sell it when we're back in Brisbane begin January…

Maybe we'll see each other on the road.

Have fun in Oz….ps: it's massive
Wimoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #54
nckjms
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Great video, was that white sand you went off the road onto? Any other good wildlife sightings other than what I believe was a family of Emus (Emu? not sure about the plural form haha)
nckjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #55
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimoz View Post
Maybe we'll see each other on the road.
I am planing to hit the Eyre Highway at the Balladonia roadhouse but I don't know when at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nckjms View Post
Great video, was that white sand you went off the road onto? Any other good wildlife sightings other than what I believe was a family of Emus (Emu? not sure about the plural form haha)
It is a salt lake but it was soggier than I expected.

not as wild but really cute

Where am I ?
Old 11-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #56
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Quote:
Originally Posted by qvasic View Post
Did you get out in time before high tide? :)
unfortunately this will be a walk report in the future

Where am I ?
Old 11-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #57
mezcal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Good stuff. Subscribed
Old 11-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #58
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

went to the beach again yesterday

Where am I ?
Old 11-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #59
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

04/11/2013 – 13/11/2013

What can you do in a little and quiet village like Peaceful Bay if the weather is not that good? Not much except: writing a new Blog post, read a book, have a chat with other campers or inspect the bike for lose bolts.
But than I had an idea I could try to give myself a new haircut. I have never done it before by myself, but I think the Australian barbers will be too expensive for a whole year.

11mm

Not too bad and now the hair won’t get that sticky by the mosquito repellant because there is a lot less hair :)

At some stage I got bored of Peaceful Bay and so I decided to have my first day of ride in the rain in Australia so far. As a destination I had chosen the town of Albany. I had rain the whole ride and for the rest of the day.

Because of the rain I had time to look for a new rain jacket and a new wallet. But I did not like the offered rain jackets they were all way too long and to expensive so I decided my old one would be good enough because it was only leaking a little bit.
I was more successful with the wallet because loosening coins all the times really sucks.
The weather was getting better so I went out to have a look at the surroundings of my campground at Emu Point.

Later I visited the biggest museum in town. Luckily there was no art at all :)
It is the old Princess Royal Fortress a military base located on the summit of Mount Adelaide. The fortress was established to protect the harbour of Albany and you get good view from up there.

Two days in Albany have been enough for me so was to go to a nice beach and camp there. I had the choice between Norman’s Beach and Betty’s Beach so I obviously choose Betty’s Bay :)

Beautiful spot but really windy so it gets a little bit cold.
That’s why I left the next day to go into the hinterlands.

I nearly spend to whole day crossing the Wheatbelt, Western Australia’s breadbasket. Except of gigantic wheat fields you can see sheep breeding in this region as well.
With a short night stop in Lake Grace the destination of my ride was the town Hyden.
Most tourists only go there to see the famous Wave Rock.

I did it as well as I already was in town but the main reason I went to Hyden is the Granite and Woodlands Discovery Trail, a 300 km long mainly gravel road from Hyden to Norseman.

I wanted to have driving enjoyment and I definitely got it.

Along the dirt road there a several free campgrounds so I used the chance to stay at one of them in complete loneliness. You hear nothing but the wind and some animals.

After a short sightseeing in Norseman at the next morning I decided to go back to the cost. But why should I use a big road when there is a small dashed line, the Lake King Norseman Road, in my map? So again 200 km of 4wd track to get to Lake King.

This time the dirt track was not in a good condition and I had to gear down. That’s why it took me 4 hours to finish the 200 km.
But I came through the Frank Hann National Park and saw a lot of wild flowers.

The town Lake King turned out to be a little bit cheerless so I went on further south to Ravenshorpe.
Because of my slow riding on the dirt road the bike just used 11.5 liters of gasoline for the ~340 km from Norseman to Ravenshhorpe – not bad.
The next day first took me to the little coastal town Hopetoun and from there to a nice beach camp spot.

Where am I ?
Old 11-30-2013, 04:25 AM   #60
der-Seppel OP
Dominik

Esperance 13/11/2013 - 23/11/2013

After a refreshing cool night I was woken up by the sound of the ocean in the morning. I left the beach camp to go to Esperance. John, who I have meet at the Horizons Meeting in Perth, had offered me to visit him and his wife Stephanie.
John had written me just two days before as soon as there would be no wild fire he would only be on standby.
What did I see on my way to Esperance? A wild fire!

As I arrived in Esperance I went into Johns office and he gave me the key to his house. With the key I got a description how to find his house and the “order” to make myself comfy, the fried would be filed with cold drinks.
But first I went on to a shopping tour to buy a new Camelbak. I lost my last one on the Hyden – Norseman track, but realised it only 500 KMs later. So I went into the first sports store I could find in town but they had only 2 L ones. But this time I wanted a 3L Camelbak because most of the time 2L haven’t been enough for me. No problem is what the salesman told me, there is a motorcycle store in town that might be selling them, but he wanted to give them a call first and ask them if the 3L were in stock.
They had them in stock. So a bought a new Camelbak and as there was the chance a CO2 tyre pump, because the plug of my 12V tyre pump had failed the day before.
I also went to McDonalds to get one of their 30-cent ice cream cones – that a real good price.
At Johns house I arranged myself in one of the guestrooms, grabbed a cold drink and went into the garden.
I have to admit I was a little bit surprised as John’s wife Stephanie arrived and she had a small kangaroo with her.

She told me it had lost its mother in a car accident and now she was nursing it until it was big enough to be released in one of the national parks.

Because of the fire John came back home late in the evening, but he took his time to mark interesting points to go to in map, gave me a lot of literature and told me some facts about Esperance.
The next morning I went into town to get a new plug for my tyre pump and fixed it.
Around midday I herded of to one of Johns points of interest – the 22 KM beach from Wylie Beach to Cape Le Grand. My first kilometres ever on a beach have been a little bit unstable but later it went really good. I only had to dig out the bike two times :)

At the car park of Cape Le Grand I saw a young couple arriving on a R 1200 GS and they hat the same intension than me: go hiking. So we went together and had some interesting talks for the next hours.

The next day I went to Mount Ridley. You can see Aboriginal rock paintings and another wave rock at Mount Ridley. But it is a big difference to the wave rock in Hyden. The road to get to Mount Ridley could be called a little bit tougher and you have to climb the mountain to see the interesting parts, ergo no busses with tourists :)

As I went up early on Saturday morning to get two phone call to Germany done, I used the day to get to Cape Le Grand for a second time. Surely I used the beach ride again :)

In the park I hiked to the summit of Frenchman’s Peak.

And I visited all the nice beaches.

Sunday started relaxing for me in kayak on the ocean, but two times in the ocean next to the kayak ;)

In the afternoon it got really hot (for me as a German) and the temperatures got up to 37°C so I decided to visit the museum of Esperance.

How to cook a roo

John had not had enough fire fighting them the hole weekend so we had a nice BBQ in the evening.

Mondays there was an massively temperature drop to only 16°C so I had a day of loafing around with John in his shed, doing a little bit of bike maintenance and planning to build something like a tool tube for my tripod.
Because the weather hadn’t gotten any better the next morning I started building my tube.

But I thought you have to give it a test first before you use it. So I put in a water bottle and went onto a 300 KM test ride to Cape Arid National Park. There was another beach that John had marked on my map so it had to be tested as well.

My water pipe did the ride really well.

The next day I got up early to accompany John at his work. We did bird counting on several spots of a lake.

And took water samples form all the different lakes in town.

Thursday morning I said goodbye to Stephanie and the little Joey and appointed a meeting place with John for the next day because he wanted to show me some of the really good places.
I went back to the Cape Le Grand National Park to camp a night at Lucky Bay.

Because I did not want to go back to Norseman to start crossing the Nullarbor Plains I choose a gravel road that would work as a little short cut.

On the half of the road I wanted to meet John at the old Deralinya homestead.

Its owners restore the homestead and you can use it as a free campground.

I was surprised to find Roger one of the owners behind the building working on a roof.

He told me they had a 20-year reunion the next day at the homestead but we were cordially invited to join them.
Because it was only early afternoon Roger took me on to a 4WD ride to show me the surrounding area of Deralinya.
When John arrived Roger was just ready to serve the food he had prepared for all of us.

Roger gave us a room for the night what was quite good because it was raining the whole evening.
The next morning John and I went off and start to explore Mount Coobaninya near Deralinya.

Then we went north to the direction of Belladonia Roadhouse to hit the Eyre highway.

Only 12 KMs away from the destination John knew a little detour on the Old Telegraph Track. It went into the wrong direction but John said I might see wild camels along the track at one of the salt lakes. Unfortunately there were none :(

But I had to get off my bike involuntary one time :)

Our way to the Eyre Highway we choose by one criterion – the track has to go north.
Short after we got onto the Eyre Highway we got off again because John wanted to take me to lookout over the Fraser Ranges. On the track going there I nearly hit an eagle that was scared of the ground by Johns bike.
Arriving at the lookout I had to fuel up my bike because otherwise I wouldn’t have made it to the Belladonia Roadhouse.

Filling up the tanks at Belladonia isn’t cheap, we had to pay 2.10$ per litre. But John and I could leave the Roadhouse after we had fuel up the bikes and had an ice cream, not so two backpacker 4WDs they were stranded.
It is a must do to take a photo at the “90 Miles Straight” sign even if you leave them after a few kilometres to go on in the shrubs.

John took me to of his discoveries an old car wrack in the middle of nowhere.

Just a few kilometres further on the same plain we setup our tents or in Johns case his swag for the night. A great spot to camp.

Greetings
Dominik

der-Seppel screwed with this post 11-30-2013 at 04:30 AM