User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #16
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
Day 5 – Glenwood Springs to Mountain Camp

Plans change. I need to be at camp by 10 a.m. – not 2 p.m.! So I set the alarm for 5:30 to be off and away early. Was going to stop at this coffee place but it did not open until 7am. Ol’Badger and I would have liked it.

So I headed on through Glenwood Canyon on I-70. It was pretty impressive, both the scenery and the highway engineering.

Then I took CO 131 north and CO 134 east across Gore Pass. Lovely roads through rolling mountains and high alpine meadows. Very pleasant and NO traffic (must be the hour).

Crossing the Colorado River again

Beautiful rolling hills

High mountain meadows

And over the top

I stop in Kremmling for gas and coffee.

Then zoom through Granby to the camp.

My Mt. Evans adventure and the trip home will have to wait until I return home again.
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.

1200gsceej screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 05:29 PM
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #17
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej View Post
After spending time looking at the fascinating relief models of the park in the visitors center, I moseyed down the scenic drive to find the other rider in a camping area under a grove of shady trees. We exchanged the usual pleasantries. His name was Gene; from Baltimore; a slight Russian accent. This all tugged at my memory as we continued talking about our trips and our bikes. He commented on my lights, and I started to tell him about the LEDs on my hand guards and forks which blink out of sync with my turn signals … when all of a sudden I realized that I ‘knew’ him – genka, a fellow inmate – who was the very person who had told me how to wire my LEDs w/o a relay! I LOVE when things like this happen – making an unexpected connection, particularly ‘in the middle of nowhere’.

We had a delightful time talking about our trips – he all the way from Baltimore, eventually getting to Oregon/Washington if I recall correctly. 6-7000 miles in three weeks. As I sit here writing this I can still feel how excited and happy I was, overcome by the serendipity of such a meeting. I might have ridden the Burr Trail with those other riders. Or I might have spent 15 minutes talking with them and arrived too late to see Gene in the Capitol Reef parking lot. I might have done any of a hundred other little thing to adjust my timing so our paths would 'just miss'. There are some 7 billion of us on this planet. There must be tens if not hundreds of thousands of such events happening each day. But when it happens to an individual person, to you or to me, then it becomes particularly special. I relished the companionship, regardless of how brief or how thin the connection. Finally I had to say goodbye – I still had several hundred miles to ride that day.
Carl,
It was indeed quite a surprise meeting by accident thousands of miles from our homes. Things like this make this forum so great! Too bad we were going in opposite directions and couldn't ride together for some time or have a couple beers in the evening.
Oh, and my wife had a good laugh when she read your description of my accent as "slight"

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #18
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

I have been pretty busy since my last post and almost just let this drop. But I do have some more things that I wanted to say and show. Here’s the return trip.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #19
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 8 – Mt. Evans Adventure

In two prior trips I’ not taken the opportunity. This time there wasn’t really an opportunity, but I tried. Maybe if I had been there at 10 am, and not 3 pm.

Heading south-east on US 40 towards Winter Park the weather was beautiful.

But Mt. Evans was socked in.

Turns out the National Parks pass gets you in for free, so I chanced it not knowing when or if I'd be back again. Maybe 3rd time is the charm?

This does not look good.

I wish I could have taken a photo of the road and ground where I was forced to turn around. The hail literally covered the ground and was pelting me so hard that my arms were stinging through the jacket.

This is what it looked like when I was able to stop further back down the road.

What was left on my seat is all I have to show.

1200gsceej screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 11:35 AM
Old 11-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #20
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 12 – Boulder to Vernal via Rocky Mountain National Park

I entered the east end of the Park at 8:15 am. The light and sky were fantastic. My pictures do not do it justice. I spent 2.5 hours riding slowly, stopping, walking, and letting as much as possible soak in.

Looking back down towards Estes Park

Glacial carved

Notice the altitude

Serious hikers do these trails

Pine borer beatles are killing vast tracts of trees

other 2-wheeled vehicles

Finally exited the west end onto US 40 and headed west through beautiful high mountain pastures.

Steamboat Springs was already hot at noon where I had lunch.

From there the land got flatter and dryer and hotter.

Somewhere west of Craig I attached myself to the tail end of a pair of riders who matched my speed. It was nice having company. They pulled off at Dinosaur National Monument Visitor Center, where I had planned to stop as well. So we had a chance to introduce ourselves and chat a while.

Chuck and Rudy were from NW Kansas. They were headed down the road another 10 miles or so to the Utah border where Chuck had never been, then turning around to head back toward Grand Junction. We talked about the hundreds of riders in packs of 5, 10, 20 who had passed us heading east. Heading for Sturgis, probably. After saying our goodbyes, I continued on to Vernal.

Chuck

Rudy
Old 11-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 13 – Vernal to Delta

Sometimes you *can* go back again …

I had a great early breakfast at Betty’s Café; nice atmosphere.

Then I was off to Dinosaur National Monument Quarry site. Got there at 8:04 and was second in line to be able to drive up to the quarry. The ‘dig’ is still the same as it was decades ago when I was first there. But that building was razed in 2006 and not re-opened until 2011. It is very nice. There were so few people at that hour that I almost had a Park Ranger to myself to ask questions. Here’s some pix of some very old bones.

This one is over 6 feet long

The panorama

Lots o'bones

Lots of nice trails to walk

At Duchesne, UT I left US 40 and headed SW on US 191. I’m riding a stretch of road that fascinated me on my last trip out to CO. That time I road north from Helper, UT up a steep and narrow US 191 to its summit, then down an incredibly long canyon that swept back and forth as it descended. This time I am doing it in the opposite direction. You can see it on Google Maps here . It looks like you are riding a ridge, but it is actually a valley. There are oil wells in the lower section (on Indian land, I believe) that were not there before. But nothing else. You climb from 6000’ to 9000’, then descend a steep narrow canyon. I highly recommend this, though I have a slight preference for the other direction – coming down the long valley you can find a speed where you can hardly hear your engine and it feels as if you are just sailing or coasting.

More beetle devastation

Looking back from near the summit

The top

Down through steep canyon

Looking back up from the bottom

After this I took the Energy Loop Scenic Byway, UT 31 from Huntington to Fairview, half of which I had done before. It was beautiful. More sweeping curves from 6000’ up to 9000’, beautiful vistas, then a steeper downhill. I felt so refreshed.

making energy

Heading up

There had been hard rain and floods a few days earlier

Nice road

A surprise

They were everywhere on most of the trip

at the top

Heading down

Interesting side note – it was Lamb’s Day again; people were setting up for the grand parade. Two times through here, different dates, same celebration.

I ride through the Mt. Pleasant – Moroni valley, then north with mountains on my left to the gap that leads west to Nephi.

Random shots in the valley

Then down the west side through Oak City to Delta and the Rancher Motel. Been here before. Not a lot of dinner restaurants in Delta. The Rancher has one open Fri-Sun above the Café. It was OK. I learned more of the history of the place.

A discovery and a regret. I found plaques about a Japanese internment camp about 10 miles outside of town. I had plenty of time to go by; I should have.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #22
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 14 – Breakfast at the Rancher Café

It is Sunday morning in Delta, UT and I am sitting at the counter at 6:45 am having breakfast. The regulars are there – all men – having their morning ‘meeting’ and discussing events. Someone had on a border patrol hat; they discussed wearing hats while eating. Another brought up the spoof on the SF newscaster about the names of the pilots of the plane that crashed there. It was generally agreed to have been funny (making fun of people does not mean that it is racist), and most importantly had exposed the “rush to air” of TV newscasts as opposed to checking facts. Guns and gun racks in cars; they are like a tool – you have to learn how to use them and then only when appropriate. But a person should not be ‘judged’ (negatively) just because they have one. I was “eyeballed” by several of them at first, but when I politely inserted a comment or two in the conversation I was accepted – at least by those who were talking. As in Panguitch, discussed earlier in this thread, I try to do this whenever and wherever I can on a trip. It is one of the few ways and times that one (I) can listen to real people who have different backgrounds. Listening is something done too little of in Washington, and in many state capitals. It is something we as individuals need to do more of.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #23
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 14 – Across the Basin and Range from Delta, UT to Fallon, NV

Mostly U.S. 50 the whole way – the Loneliest Highway. Doing it again, in reverse from before. And, yes, it was different – what I was working to learn on this trip.

Delta irrigation - last water for quiet a while

Great Basin National park was a nice break some 100 miles down the road.

Then on to Ely where I visited their railroad museum.

I pushed on to Eurika where I had lunch time time at the Owl Café. It was as nice and relaxing as the prior trip.

I actually encountered brief rain between there an Austin from high dark clouds moving across the desert floor. Most of the rain never made it to the ground. Outside of the little towns there is nothing – but it is beautiful.

On the outskirts of Austin I met Steve from Atlanta on an HD and Mark from Nevada City CA on al K1600LT. I had followed Steve for the last 60 miles into Austin. He was spending the night in the Mountain Motel where I had considered staying if my route had been different.

Just outside of town I veered left onto NV 722 which had been recommended by another Inmate as being “truly lonely”. And right he was. I could have ridden on the left side of the road the entire 50 miles. On the one hand it was peaceful; on the other hand, I was certainly ‘on my own’.

After rejoining US 50 I was ready to be done for the day. Also, after coming over the last rise before US 50 the temperature jumped to 110 degrees! So made a dash for Fallon. On the way I passed by areas that looked familiar, but yet very different. I stopped along the roadside to think about it and realized that on my last trip both sides of the roadway were filled with 2-3 feet of water – the road went for several miles through a lake. This time it was bone-dry dirt on both sides for as far as the eye could see.

I also came across this, which I had missed the trip before:

I spent the night here and was treated well.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #24
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 15 – the last leg – Fallon to home

6:20 am and already in the high 70’s. I won’t miss the heat. Had a good breakfast at Jerry’s; great waitress.

Outside a young woman in a Pura Vida shirt from Costa Rica commented on my bike; had seem me riding last night. Wendy, aka Pepper, has a silver and black ’09 GS. An Ex Navy, 7 year EOD tech, she now contracts to find old ordinance. Also an avid paraglider. Now planning a ride’n’fly trip to South America. I wished her well.

Fallon's green rapidly disappears.

I pass through a number of small towns and settlements.

I approach the back side of the Sierras,

take CA 89 west (one of the best roads in the state )

to Markleeville where I take on some liquids and talk to a bicyclist about the Death Ride. Great motorcycle rides, killer bicycle rides.

I then take CA 4 over the summit, down, summit again, then down again on tiny winding roads, sharp turns and steep grades. Great Fun!

About half-way up, looking back

and on up

down a bit

second summit

At Bear Valley the road turns into a smooth, wide 2 lane with 60 mph downhill sweepers for the next 20-30 miles. IT was wonderful.

Finally hit the foothills at 2000’.

Passed through Arnold and other small towns of nostalgia. Crossed CA 49 (another good road) at Angels Camp. CA 4 from there to Copperopolis is great fun – up and down and side to side through oak-studded rolling hills.
At 500’ the oaks disappear, grassland extends to the horizon, and the temp goes up!
At 150’ agriculture begins – orchards, grapes, corn, and other fields of green.

CA 4 straightens out and dives due west into the sun. I jog through Stockton and continue on CA 4 into the Sacramento Delta islands and levys. AT one point the GPS has me at -6’ elevation! Eventually Discovery Bay, Vasco Road, and I can ‘smell’ home. I ignore the “Fines doubled for speeding” in this once killer corridor and open it up. I catch CA 84 behind Livermore, 680, 880, 237 and finally home - 3142 miles.

1200gsceej screwed with this post 11-14-2013 at 10:15 PM
Old 11-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #25
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

So there you have it.
I had more adventures, met some interesting people, learned more about riding alone, and discovered that under the right circumstances you can go back again and still enjoy it as much if not more than the first time.
Next time, next trip, perhaps I will try campgrounds on some nights rather than motels. I have a good tent. I need a bag and pad though. But time enough to acquire them.
Meanwhile, ride safely.
-ceej
Old 12-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #26
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

Question Feedback?

I am preparing my annual Christmas letter to friends and family so came here to get a link to my ride to Colorado and back. While here I read the report again and looked at the pictures. I liked it. And, I guess, I thought it warranted at least a few more comments.

Now I realize that saying that might sound like a whine, but I do not mean it to at all.
I have no pretense at believing my reports compare to Radioman Rides the World or The Mobius Trip.

What I would appreciate are a few comments about style and content. Did it suck? Was it just bland and uninteresting? Or maybe just commonplace? If I'm ever going to spend the time doing one again, I'd like to know I am making it interesting or useful.

Thanks,
-ceej