Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2013, 04:55 AM   #391
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamspc View Post
Wow...trying to catch up on your posts...epic journey.
Thanks grahamspc, happy to have you along and glad you like it.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2013, 04:58 AM   #392
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 133-134 11/13/13

Day 133

With the clime yesterday the temps dropping down to 6c and an hour later the rain started not bad at first but after another hour it was getting heavy and did feel like ice water was hitting you, brrrrr.
I decided to stop at the first town with a Hostel sign and there that night I had 3 woollen blankets over me and was just able to keep warm.
Did not make it very far yesterday so this morning at dawn I put a couple extra layers on and headed out at 7 am.
This portion of highway 3S is mostly riding through a canyon and is great, it does have a few sections where there is construction and will take you over some gravel.

Did ride into the night and found lodging in a little town about 2 hrs past Ayacucho, not really a hostel or anything just a room above the restaurant that I stopped at and the owner was willing to provide for me at $3.
Some more scenery.

Day 134

Another early start because I still had another 400 km to do and on these roads that is pushing it. The road and scenery is amazing and well worth the effort.

After a while I did get on some new pavement that was great and then there was a 150 km detour on donkey roads that was really stunning but meant I needed to push harder if I wanted to make Cusco today, coming around a corner I side swiped a rock and it hit the right side of the motor cutting my oil sensor wire, luckily it was only the wire and a cooling fin that broke and nothing ells.
Did make Cusco and will rest a few days and see if I can fix the wire, also will book a tour to see Machu Picchu instead of trying to ride the route David had given me because my ass needs some rest.

More later Jeff
Old 11-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #393
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
The first pass on Hwy 20 and the view at 4818 meters (16.000 ft) is amazing, cold but amazing.

16,000 ft???
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #394
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Fan View Post
16,000 ft???
Thanks #1Fan, for staying with the ride.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #395
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 135 11/14/13

Have a private room at the La Posade del Viajero for $15, with inside parking for the bike and is in the middle of town where all the action is. There are lots of things to go see around here and I finally fond a new camera, just hope that this one last longer than the last one, also made a booking for a two day all inclusive excursion to Machu Picchu and will see if it will be worth the $220 I paid, there are cheaper trips from $100 but that will take an extra 12 to maybe 20 hrs in a mini bus plus lots of walking, just don't need all that extra riding.
Was grate to see the sites and rest in Cusco today, was also able to fix the wire that broke yesterday, just hate seeing the oil warning going on all the time.
Cusco's town square.

The view by night.

Will leave tomorrow for the excursion and will report about the trip when I get back.

Jeff
Old 11-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #396
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,396
awesome

I really appreciate the write up. like your running day count also. Lets see a few pics of the Tenere, really wanna see how the bike is holding up to your adventurous riding style? :loll

How are your injuries healing up? Stay sharp and stay from the edges.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:33 AM   #397
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
I really appreciate the write up. like your running day count also. Lets see a few pics of the Tenere, really wanna see how the bike is holding up to your adventurous riding style? :loll

How are your injuries healing up? Stay sharp and stay from the edges.
Thanks tvbh40a, will do. The injuries have healed for the most part, and only if I strain them do I feel it.

Jeff
Old 11-17-2013, 05:38 AM   #398
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 136-137 11/16/13

Day 136

Was picked up at the Hostel by Minivan and made the 1.5 hr ride to Ollantytambo where the train takes you to Machu Picchu Pueblo.

Day137

Did getup at 4:30 am to make the first bus up to Machu Picchu and I was there at 5:45 am and just in time for the entrance gates to open, my first shot of the sunrise.

Huayna Picchu.

The Valley view

Me at Machu Picchu.

And of course the famous Machu Picchu.

Had a 2 hr tour and then hiked to the Inca bridge, walked a bit more around and decided to walk the Inca trail back to the Pueblo, I wanted to experience this also, there are some 1772 steps and it's a 2.000 ft descend to the bottom. My feet and legs were hurting after getting down but after setting for a while that seems to be good for now. Machu Picchu is a magical place to visit and experience, it's remoteness and the Inca history make this something I won't forget and worth every penny.

Machu Picchu Peablo statue.

I will be heading to Puno, so more later.

Jeff

Super Tenere screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 06:55 PM
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #399
hondad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
What an amazing, epic journey you`re having! I have been following you from the start and have enjoyed every second. Thanks for sharing your travels with us.
hondad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #400
brian2tall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Thumb machu picchu

Glad to see you relaxed & enjoying yourself. The thought of 12 to 20 hours on a bus would not have been quite the same. Amazing pictures ,
I'm sure it was well worth the money. Thanks for sharing and keep up the terrific report.
rubber down, eyes up.
brian2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #401
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondad View Post
What an amazing, epic journey you`re having! I have been following you from the start and have enjoyed every second. Thanks for sharing your travels with us.
Thanks hondad, glad you like it and welcome aboard.

Jeff
Old 11-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #402
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2tall View Post
Glad to see you relaxed & enjoying yourself. The thought of 12 to 20 hours on a bus would not have been quite the same. Amazing pictures ,
I'm sure it was well worth the money. Thanks for sharing and keep up the terrific report.
rubber down, eyes up.
Thanks Brian, they say that it can take up to 20 hrs because of landslides and so, don't need it. Machu Picchu is amazing on it's own, but mostly just because it's so remote.
Hope to keep the rubber down.

Jeff
Old 11-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #403
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 138 11/17/13

Made it to Puno today and staying at the Maison D Lago for $15 with breakfast, but first a little more about Machu Picchu, I had mentioned that it was also magical and now you will know why.

On the train ride to Machu Picchu a guy in his thirties (Shoki) from Turkey sat beside me and we started talking about travelling and such, when I asked him why he had come here the following story unfolded.
When he still was a young boy he had seen a music video from Gloria Estefan and this had made such a deep impression on him that it captured his imagination and for 20 years he dreamed of coming to the place were the video was made, now finally he was here and you could see his excitement.
It would also be his birthday tomorrow just to make things even better, so we agreed to meet at the top and make it a special day. We did meet as agreed and we went to the places that he had carefully picked, I will never forget his face when we made it, his eyes gleamed with joy and he had a smile from ear to ear, the energy was combustible, he had moved heaven and earth to make this trip and it showed, he was also so happy that he could share this with someone and I was glad that it was me, because this made my day something special too, not only was it the being here but to see some ones dream come true was magical.
We parted after a cheers to his birthday and his accomplishment with some Coke, I had a tour to do and he had booked the clime up to Huayna Picchu, I only regret not taking a picture with him and if you want to see the video that moved him here is the link: http://youtu.be/cyblSDoRRxg

Back to today, the ride from Cusco to Puno takes you through some diverse landscape, from mountains that look like there covered with velvet.

To farm land with all the locals coming out on Sunday to do the wash, the road is great and the scenery stunning.

Tomorrow will visit the made out of Reeds Floating Islands of Lake Titicaca and visit the Taquile, and Amatani Islands, this should be something ells.

Jeff
Old 11-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #404
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
Thanks #1Fan, for staying with the ride.

Jeff
Thqnks for sharing your adventure!
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #405
ReadyFreddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Simply amazing, Jeff, I am very envious but I'm so happy for you being able to experience this journey. A dream come true and we get to see it through the eyes of a sensitive man able to drink up all the flavours of his surroundings...it's a beautiful story to watch unfold.
Thanks for sharing!
ReadyFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote