ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 04:01 AM   #5971
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer
 
kitesurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: JAX, FL
Oddometer: 1,444
if you read the ride reports, you'll find mosat of the breakdowns are on BMW's. I believe RADIOMAN had a brand new BMw that broke down on the beginning of his ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Shepski,

I have so far owned:

5 Kawasaki's
4 Yamaha's
3 BMW's
3 aprilia's
1 Ducati

I have yet to ever have a serious problem with any of them. As for cars, my 928S was a decent car. No major issues, but I didn't own it that long. The Corvette was much easier to own. Cheaper too. As for a daily driver, I now drive a Toyota Tundra. I like Japanese vehicles, they are just very generic compared to the European ones. My favorite vehicle was the Mercedes SL600 convertible. The V-12 was soooooo smooth. But I agree, the Euro cars/bikes have the potential to be much more maintenance intensive and costly. I can appreciate your VStrom being uber reliable, but I have yet to hear of a F800GS having an issue. My 3 BMW's have been stone reliable. We both seem to enjoy some variety and that's a good thing.
__________________
2012 VSTROM ADV 650
US NAVY RETIRED
kitesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:07 AM   #5972
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer
 
tommu56's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: limerick pa / waterville pa
Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Take this ADVRider favorite, and imagine 98% less material......

If I see her again at Ephrata I'm sure she won't be dressed like this.

Transcribed by gnomes directly from my thoughts.
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:21 AM   #5973
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182
 
Royal Tiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
if you read the ride reports, you'll find mosat of the breakdowns are on BMW's. I believe RADIOMAN had a brand new BMw that broke down on the beginning of his ride.
Everyone seems to know someone who had a friend whos BMW broke down. I've been around a lot of BMW owners and not one ever had a problem. My buddy Joe bought a new CBR1000RR and it was a complete pile of garbage. Every bike has the potential for issues, but it seems people who spend lots of money on a bike expect it to not have problems and are more likely to complain. European bikes tend to be more complex and higher strung so there is a tendency for more minor issues then the more generic Japanese bikes. Hang around the KLR boards and you'll hear constant bitching but in general KLR owners loyally defend their bikes. And no bike is less high strung then a KLR. Suzuki GSX-R1000's had catastrophic frame failures that actually killed people and all Suzuki did was weld on a metal plate at the frame joint. This is still the era of the most reliable motorcycles in history. So while Shepski and I did sidebar in this thread about our personal experiences, we at least have been sharing pics. You came into a thread of lovely ladies to post some nonsensical diatribe. If you like your VStrom, good for you. Just know, and accept, the F800GS will run circles around it. If you don't want a BMW, then don't buy one. It's your choice. So in closing post some pics or just admire the lovely ladies.
__________________
2013 Yamaha XT250 * 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 2007 BMW G650X XChallenge * 2005 BMW R1200ST * 2003 Yamaha PW80
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #5974
Beema Killa
Beema Killa
 
Beema Killa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Calgary Canada
Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Everyone seems to know someone who had a friend whos BMW broke down. I've been around a lot of BMW owners and not one ever had a problem. My buddy Joe bought a new CBR1000RR and it was a complete pile of garbage. Every bike has the potential for issues, but it seems people who spend lots of money on a bike expect it to not have problems and are more likely to complain. European bikes tend to be more complex and higher strung so there is a tendency for more minor issues then the more generic Japanese bikes. Hang around the KLR boards and you'll hear constant bitching but in general KLR owners loyally defend their bikes. And no bike is less high strung then a KLR. Suzuki GSX-R1000's had catastrophic frame failures that actually killed people and all Suzuki did was weld on a metal plate at the frame joint. This is still the era of the most reliable motorcycles in history. So while Shepski and I did sidebar in this thread about our personal experiences, we at least have been sharing pics. You came into a thread of lovely ladies to post some nonsensical diatribe. If you like your VStrom, good for you. Just know, and accept, the F800GS will run circles around it. If you don't want a BMW, then don't buy one. It's your choice. So in closing post some pics or just admire the lovely ladies.
+1! And I spent quite a bit on my 2011 KTM 990 Adventure, and I expect problems.( Bought in 2011) Haven't had 'em yet, but I expect them. (20,000 Kms on the clock now.)Especially since I'm not exactly easy on it and sees a lot of off-road that is really meant for smaller bikes. Perform regular maintenance and you'll decrease the likely hood of having problems. Having said that, you gotta pay to play. Now, MORE PICS!!!!
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #5975
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer
 
clocklaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Columbia, TN
Oddometer: 1,522
How lucky can a seatcover get???

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I dunno who she is, but I'd pay a dollar to watch her eat a jar of mayonnaise.
2005 FJR1300 - "my Blue Angel"
My Twins are Twins!
1992 TDM850 - "Ginger" & 1993 TDM850 - "Raven"
clocklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #5976
ERD
Custom Rider
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA
Oddometer: 268


Not exactly on a bike, but I guess it's okay on a bike trailer.
ERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #5977
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.
 
Megamoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: You know...I think I've been here before.
Oddometer: 2,585
I thought that was the way all harleys did most of their milage.
__________________
Guerrilla Moto diplomacy.
Higher level simians as ambassadors of vroom to skewer ignorance and amalgamate ideas globally.

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #5978
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer
 
BigEasy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: South of Indy in the hills
Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamoto View Post
I thought that was the way all harleys did most of their milage.
When I bought my Electra Glide a couple years ago I called my insurance agents customer servace gal to get coverage started. While going through the typical questions she instinctively asked "what kind of trailer did you get to haul it?" I was like WTF Kristen? Her response was somthing along the line of oh yeah, I forgot you ride your motorcycles, most of my Harley customers don't ride that much.They just trailer them where they're going on vacation.
__________________
All who wander are not lost

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #5979
joe a
awryder
 
joe a's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Lake George NY
Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
When I bought my Electra Glide a couple years ago I called my insurance agents customer servace gal to get coverage started. While going through the typical questions she instinctively asked "what kind of trailer did you get to haul it?" I was like WTF Kristen? Her response was somthing along the line of oh yeah, I forgot you ride your motorcycles, most of my Harley customers don't ride that much.They just trailer them where they're going on vacation.
Thats some funny shit.....
And so very true.....................
Actuall she was just doing her job and trying to sell you an additional policy on the trailer......Good girl that Kristen...
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The traveler in me is the most loved or most hated quality I possess, depending on who you ask.
joe a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #5980
Oceanbum
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Oceanbum's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Southern Ohio
Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamoto View Post
I thought that was the way all harleys did most of their milage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe a View Post
And so very true.....................

The Harleys I've owned have NEVER been hauled on a trailer!!






I've always used my pickup!
__________________
"Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." Benjamin Franklin
Oceanbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #5981
ERD
Custom Rider
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA
Oddometer: 268
I enjoy riding my motorcycles on nice roads but not in the middle of this concrete jungle fighting cagers, traffic, and road hazards. I usually trailer the bikes to the place I want to ride which leaves me more time to ride on the road that are fun to ride on.

To each his own I guess
ERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #5982
Lasherman
Ah Sh!t!
 
Lasherman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Turlock, Ca
Oddometer: 199
A nice day trip to Santa Cruz California.

Lasherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #5983
quota
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post

lacofdfireman's post was inspiring. Guess I'll join in.





One more.


__________________
Western TAT ride
quota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #5984
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way
 
RideDualSport.com's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Texas at large.
Oddometer: 1,325
My wife just before we head out.






She is giving it some stick






__________________
"Nobody understands what you're know what I'm sayin"
The RideDualSport Forum
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #5985
CromsTeeth
Scout
 
CromsTeeth's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Sawrtooths
Oddometer: 72
My Wife on Her First Ever Motorcycle Ride Last Week!

__________________
"Well, if I get around all those gumption traps, will I have the thing licked?"
CromsTeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014