User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #556
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,569
Good on you trev.

I gave up the fags back in 1979 which was difficult as in my younger years I worked in a job where I got a cigarette ration of 3 free cartons a fortnight. I was 17. Imagine that now!

Both my parents were heavy smokers and I sat with both of them as they gasped their last. The cancer thing is overrated. Most smokers end up drowning in their own spittle as mum and dad did.

You'll breathe easier and add to your health. Just be careful crossing the road.

SJ
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Sleepy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #557
manybike
Omnipresent

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
Just started quitting again, I'm 2 weeks in now, which is longer than most of my previous attempts. Just gotta keep at it, I'm already noticing a bit of lung capacity coming back and the nicotine headaches are gone. Hats off to you guys who have made it stick for years, hope I can get there too.
Hey SloMo…2 weeks, your are over the worst.
I found that after week 3 it got way easier.

Hang in there…it's worth it, keep us posted.

72 Yamaha 350 street
07 650 Dakar 08 WR250X
manybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #558
manybike
Omnipresent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy John View Post
Good on you trev.

I gave up the fags back in 1979 which was difficult as in my younger years I worked in a job where I got a cigarette ration of 3 free cartons a fortnight. I was 17. Imagine that now!

Both my parents were heavy smokers and I sat with both of them as they gasped their last. The cancer thing is overrated. Most smokers end up drowning in their own spittle as mum and dad did.

You'll breathe easier and add to your health. Just be careful crossing the road.

SJ
What a bad way for your parents to go…I am glad I never had to go through that with my Mom and Dad.

72 Yamaha 350 street
07 650 Dakar 08 WR250X
Old 11-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #559
manybike
Omnipresent

Today is the day!
One year smoke free.

Should add a few more years of riding..hopefully

72 Yamaha 350 street
07 650 Dakar 08 WR250X
Old 11-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #560
manybike
Omnipresent

Forgot to mention...I also have over $2000.00 in my smoke money tin !

Farkles here we come

72 Yamaha 350 street
07 650 Dakar 08 WR250X
Old 11-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #561
manybike
Omnipresent

JohnG...you still there?

How is your wife?, hope all is well.

72 Yamaha 350 street
07 650 Dakar 08 WR250X
Old 02-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #562
Benz-in-Oz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Wife and I quit coldturkey, nearly 48 hours now, it's been pretty good so far but I am expecting tomorrow to be worse.

The journey is the reward.
Benz-in-Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:56 PM   #563
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,048
I reckon day 3 is a good turning point . If you can do 1 day you can do any day - just see at as 1 day at a time . Carry a bottle if water with you and drink heaps. Fruit juices are great too and seemly help a lot .

Keep at it. Life is supremely better when you are free from the addiction . It doesn't take long . You would be close to over the nicotine withdrawal . After that it is all mental .

Good work - keep it up !
Old 02-10-2014, 01:02 AM   #564
Checkmate3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
It's going to be hard but if you really want it you will get there.
I quit cold turkey a couple of years back mainly because I got tired of the price increases, the fact that it's becoming increasingly anti-social , and cough my guts up every morning.
I don't even think about it any more other than to notice the smell when others are smoking and wondering how I ever put up with it for so long.
Stay tough! You can do it!

It's worth it in the end. First week is hardest, after that you are over the worst part.

Good luck.

Iddy
Checkmate3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:23 AM   #565
Exwai
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I tried. Only lasted a week... back to smoking. I really wish I could control myself
Exwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:42 AM   #566
StayUpright
Witty Quip goes here

Oddometer: 96
Try diversion - every time you feel like a smoke, go and have a drink of water. (Nobody ever died of drinking (good) water).

If you ever think of having just one puff - remember you have reset the clock on being a non-smoker. Want to go through al that work again, just for a puff?

Every day without means you are getting closer to being cured. Don't waste that effort!

Everyone is different, but for me the tough time was up to and about 3 weeks from quitting.

Remember - if you start again you only "paused" smoking. You didn't stop.

Be strong everyone - it's worth it.
StayUpright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:55 AM   #567
nazza
Trouble

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz-in-Oz View Post
Wife and I quit coldturkey, nearly 48 hours now, it's been pretty good so far but I am expecting tomorrow to be worse.
Hey Me too! I quit 2 weeks ago on Wednesday or Thurs coming.. couple of days before I buggered off from SA. It's been going really well. I took Champix but run out. Sposed to be a 12 week course but I did 4 weeks. After a week or 2 I felt pretty ready to quit and would've in the right situation with support.
What counts is now I have and I intend to stay that way this time.
Good on you both! Hope to meet you this weekend.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #568
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 811
Effed up my previous attempt to quit but have so far made it a smoke-free 2014. It does get easier after a week or two, the cravings really subside. They're not completely gone yet, and honestly I'm not sure they'll ever be gone for good, but they are far more manageable now. Plus, once you start getting a few smoke-free weeks under your belt, you have that streak going and you really don't want to break it.

The savings is a nice bonus, too. I never really knew how much of a drain smoking was on my finances until I quit and noticed that my bank account wasn't shrinking nearly as fast anymore.
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #569
StayUpright
Witty Quip goes here

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
Effed It does get easier after a week or two, the cravings really subside. They're not completely gone yet, and honestly I'm not sure they'll ever be gone for good......
The good news is YES - they will!! After a while you become a non smoker, and non smokers don't have cravings
StayUpright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #570
Benz-in-Oz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Three Days Down

When we go to bed tonight, we will have three smoke free days under our belts. We are surprised that neither of us has tried to kill the other yet, domestic harmony hasn't been the casualty we initially thought, yet, we have already appologised to each other in advance. Today has been a bit stressful, the youngest member of the household enlisted in the RAAF this morning and has gone to Forest Hill for basic training, we are delighted for him but it sure leaves an empty feeling in the home.

The one thing that we find helps a lot, is that when the cravings come you know that you only have to withstand them for a few minutes and then they subside. So it's helps to think along those lines, beating the smokes one craving trigger at a time.

The journey is the reward.
Benz-in-Oz is offline   Reply With Quote