Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
dunc59 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
battery/charger Q

may have been covered before but cannot see it

i have a sealed rechargable battery which i use in the shed and take away sometimes for a 12 v led light use
its a 12v 7.0 ah one and have just blown my old charger up and am looking for a new one and am in need of answers

does the charger i am looking for have to be rated higher than 7.0ah as a few i found are saying 5.0ah rated only and am i right in thinking that a charger rated at say 5.0 ah will not do this charging to a 7.0ah one

was looking at maybe a c-tek type so can charge this battery and also can use it on the bike as a trickle charge to keep the bike one at full charge
[yeh i know just ride it to keep it charged]ya dont need a charger

is there a difference in the charger needed for a gel battery or a lead acid type or is thee one that will do both
any advice on this welcomed

MOTORCYCLERALLIESAUSTRALIA
dunc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,038
No you don`t need a 7 amp battery charger .
Your battery capacity is 7 amp/hours
A 7 amp battery charger will charge your battery in 1 hour
A 3.5 amp battery charger will charge your battery in 2 hours

Actually those small sealed batteries like you have don`t like to be charged at 7 amps . You`d get longer life out of it charging at about 2 amps . Any of the later smart chargers ( like ctec etc ) can work out how much to pump into your battery automatically .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,953
How long is a road?

If you have enough money you can buy a battery charger that will do everything. Other people like to buy more beer and a charger or two.

The sealed battery you have is probably not a deep cycle type - so will be damaged by being repeatedly discharged to a low level...

There are all the answers to this type of question on the battery faq .. why am I typing it here again?

http://www.batteryfaq.org/

Does not the shed have some power? Run the led lights off the battery - but connect the charger up to it while the lights are on - thus the battery acts as a backup only (if you do a fuse or the mains power fails).

Charger ratings might be for their output current (as Brute assumes above) but if given as 7ah then probably for being reasonably able to charge a flat battery of that ah rating, as such it will be longer than an hour to recharge (if it only took an hour from dead flat the battery will be damaged and loose some of its expected life time). If it was given as teh output current then I'd expect, for example) 7A would be stated, not 7Ah.

Warin screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 02:12 PM Reason: Correcting link?
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
dunc59 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

no the shed has no permanent power as this led light /battery setup is just to throw light when needed at night sometimes

the link dont work so may have to type that again

thanks for the answers so far

Old 11-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
rsser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Picking up on Warin's post, roughly speaking there are starter batteries that are designed for occasional short-use high drain applications and deep-cycle batteries that are the opposite: longish-use and low drain.

Warin's link didn't work for me so ...

A charger for the 2nd type only needs to deliver about 10% of the battery's max amps but should be a 'smart charger' as Brute posted and it should be left attached to the battery.

Battery types do vary so buy a specific charger or one that works for multiple types.

CTEK have a good rep but I use an Ozcharge for my camper trailer batteries; it's cheaper and has performed faultlessly for 4 years. And there's $500 worth to maintain in that rig.

HTH.

Riding a chookchaser with a slipper clutch
rsser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
Toy Rolex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
What about going solar ?

From super cheap you can get a dash mount one that will keep your battery topped up and by the sounds of it you don't use it much.

When they come on special they are about $19.

I have a bush block and use them on all my 4x4's and bush bashers, these all have batteries salvaged from a scrap yard and all load test better now than when fitted, I have not lost a battery in the last 4 years.
Yamaha MT09, The Scud Missile
I'm out of my depth in a carpark puddle.
Toy Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
OzRob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc59 View Post
may have been covered before but cannot see it

i have a sealed rechargable battery which i use in the shed and take away sometimes for a 12 v led light use
its a 12v 7.0 ah one and have just blown my old charger up and am looking for a new one and am in need of answers

does the charger i am looking for have to be rated higher than 7.0ah as a few i found are saying 5.0ah rated only and am i right in thinking that a charger rated at say 5.0 ah will not do this charging to a 7.0ah one

was looking at maybe a c-tek type so can charge this battery and also can use it on the bike as a trickle charge to keep the bike one at full charge
[yeh i know just ride it to keep it charged]ya dont need a charger

is there a difference in the charger needed for a gel battery or a lead acid type or is thee one that will do both
any advice on this welcomed
Jaycar have c-tek copies for way cheaper price,
I have one of these, http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MB3604 pefect for the bike and car, they do make a smaller version.
OzRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:32 AM   #8
urbanoyster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
C-tek are good for all lead cell batteries.

Though you haven't mentioned wanting to use a lithium battery, I thought I'd let you know that my C-Tek Mulit XS7000 (7aH) smart charger won't charge the lithium battery I have fitted to a bike. Apparently a old style (dumb?) charger has to be used.
urbanoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,953
Sorry - correct link

http://www.batteryfaq.org/

also edited the first link ..
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
DrWatson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
the jaycar charger works well. I have used it for AGM and Gel bike batteries in the last week in my lab environment with anything from almost completly flat to just annoyingly low from lack of use. These have had a good work out in just a week. Friends have field tested them for some time now. One was faulty and returned to jaycar out of warrantly and replaced with no issue.

Get a jaycar trade card for a cheaper price. If you buy two with a trade card, you will pay about $64 each, rather than $80.

I also like the solar panel method. I know people doing this. I just needed flat batteries charged quickly to go riding.
DrWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #11
dunc59 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks for all the replies and advice
finally went for one of these
GENIUS SMART BATTERY CHARGER 12V CAR MOTORBIKE CARAVAN AGM DEEP CYCLE SLA G1100

$70 delivered from vic
have tried it and seems to do all i want it to