Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattah79 View Post
Hi
Does anyone use a Giant Loop Great Basin bag on their 950/990
Any good pics would be nice or even a look at one in person
Located in Victoria
Yeah... but on a Super Enduro. Different seat base/fender setup too... to keep the weight off the subframe

Plenty of clearance... no heat issues

That rack works well. I've had 150kg on it (and another 120kg of me on the seat at the same time)

Old 11-17-2013, 05:22 AM   #2568
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattah79 View Post
Hi
Does anyone use a Giant Loop Great Basin bag on their 950/990
Any good pics would be nice or even a look at one in person
Located in Victoria
Yes, I'm in Perth though. See the safari ride report in my sig for pics. They work really well and are my preferred luggage option now.

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #2569
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 574
Ceramic Coating - Brisbane

Well after seeing Hodgo's awesome silver ceramic coated headers for a very reasonable price in the US, I looked into getting mine done here. A huge thanks to Paul and Adam at Thermal Edge Coating in Brendale; they got my order bang on and did a fantastic job! There were two options, silver or black, I went black for the better heat properties but then had the heat shield chromed for the aesthetics, end result.... for less than the cost of a new tyre

Suzuki SV1000 - My road monster
KTM 640 LC4E - Adventure bike (project)
Young-Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:45 AM   #2570
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer: 246
Eh? Engine pipes

Has anyone had there engine pipes ceramic coated as my pipes are starting to look a bit shabby .
I have seen there is someone in Melbourne that do the ceramic coating .
Any ideas .???????
Tezza
Now the Perfect pair!!!!
TEZZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:03 AM   #2571
Young-Gun
KTM Tragic

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young-Gun View Post
Well after seeing Hodgo's awesome silver ceramic coated headers for a very reasonable price in the US, I looked into getting mine done here. A huge thanks to Paul and Adam at Thermal Edge Coating in Brendale; they got my order bang on and did a fantastic job! There were two options, silver or black, I went black for the better heat properties but then had the heat shield chromed for the aesthetics, end result.... for less than the cost of a new tyre

And this is MymoJoe's done in all silver:

Suzuki SV1000 - My road monster
KTM 640 LC4E - Adventure bike (project)
Young-Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #2572
hattah79

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEZZA View Post
Has anyone had there engine pipes ceramic coated as my pipes are starting to look a bit shabby .
Any ideas .???????
Tezza
Try Modern Plateting in Oakleigh
They did the headers on my brother inlaws Volvo V8
hattah79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #2573
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Oddometer: 4,648
Why did you coat the headers? Just looks? I would be interested to know if the excess heat not being shed by the headers makes the cans warmer. I can touch my Akros with bare hands at any time. Seeing as this is where my bags are I'd be worried about burning stuff, like I used to do all the time with the stock stainless cans. Not an issue?

It just happened, Max, you know?

A p-p-p-p-piece from here and a p-p-p-piece from there.
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:18 AM   #2574
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Talking Ceramic Coating

There is no trick questions , I just wanted to find out some info on what is the best to do with engine pipes that are loosing there shine and looking Shabby ???????????
I did see on Gasoline the other night that there is a place in Melbourne that do the Ceramic Coating .
Don the place that Dave had the Headers done at I think is the same place but is closer to Melbourne now .

Has anyone had any info on Ceramic Coating on there Engine pipes ????????
Tezza
Now the Perfect pair!!!!
Old 11-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #2575
fat spider
Scary Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEZZA View Post
Any ideas .???????
Tezza
I used to be an agent for HPC in Leongatha who were the original ceramic coaters in Victoria, another company that has come on board since is JetHot who I think are up around Castlemmaine.
Don't be fooled by platers who will tell you they can do it then send it to either of these companies.
HPC used to do pickup and dropoff to Eagle Spares in Dandenong.
As far as I'm aware these were the only two campanies doing ceramics but it is a few years since I was in the industry.
fat spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #2576
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,678
benefits

Maybe you could tell us of the benefit of ceramic coating.

I got mine done after seeing Hodgo's. Mainly for cosmetic reasons as mine were quite rusty. I was also told there is a 40-50% reduction in heat. The fact they are coated internal and externally made sense to my little brain. ....

QUOTE=fat spider;22885529]I used to be an agent for HPC in Leongatha who were the original ceramic coaters in Victoria, another company that has come on board since is JetHot who I think are up around Castlemmaine.
Don't be fooled by platers who will tell you they can do it then send it to either of these companies.
As far as I'm aware these were the only two campanies doing ceramics but it is a few years since I was in the industry.[/QUOTE]

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #2577
Jazdiver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
950/990 looking

Hey guys, I'm currently looking for a 950/990 second hand after selling my Tenere. Noticed the big K's on them and wanted to know what is the expected life expectancy / design life of engine, clutch, gearbox etc. only the one that l have found for sale here in Vic. Would prefer something that has already been kitted up with risers, racks etc but would consider an. Will only be used for blasting up to my farm for the weekend, one week long trip a year and some weekends away as there are three other bikes in the shed. Any idea what a top end rebuild is worth on these twins as the single 640/690's seem to all get 35k before the valves/ seats need to freshened up?
Old 11-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #2578
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat spider View Post
I used to be an agent for HPC in Leongatha who were the original ceramic coaters in Victoria, another company that has come on board since is JetHot who I think are up around Castlemmaine.
As far as I'm aware these were the only two campanies doing ceramics but it is a few years since I was in the industry.
I had my 2 into 1 mid pipe on 950 done @ Jet Hot Coatings , + 1 for finish/ gives better heat dispersion/used commonly on drag cars, have heard good things about HPC too.
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #2579
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Talking Ceramic Coating

Has anyone got a contact details for either HPC of JetHot .
Would there be a reduction on the Heat Under The Seat Area as summer is getting here anf the Crown Jewels would like to be a bit Fresher ???????
Tezza
Now the Perfect pair!!!!
Old 11-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #2580
fat spider
Scary Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
[QUOTE=MymoJoe;22885648]Maybe you could tell us of the benefit of ceramic coating.

I got mine done after seeing Hodgo's. Mainly for cosmetic reasons as mine were quite rusty. I was also told there is a 40-50% reduction in heat. The fact they are coated internal and externally made sense to my little brain. ....

Ceramic coating comes in many forms but yes you are correct about the heat reduction, Ford did an extensive test case with their XR8 and HPC coating on their exhaust headers and the results regarding under-bonnet temperatures were quite amazing.
Turbo applications get a great benefit as heat is energy so by retaining the heat within the pipe rather than it dissipating helps with boost and spool-up times, it also helps with metal fatigue which it seems is becoming a problem with older 990 exhausts although I have experienced the opposite effect with titanium pipes which seemed to fatigue prematurely when ceramic coated, which even HPC America could not explain.
Ceramic Coating is very widely used in the high performance engine industry these days with valves, pistons, combustion chambers and even brake pads being coated, really anywhere that having a thermal barrier is an advantage.
There are also coatings that attract oil which are very useful for extending the life of valve springs and there are also coatings which reject oil which are particularly useful on sumps that serve to keep as much oil as possible in play within the engine.
I would think coating the rear brake pad backing plates on a 990 would be of benefit to help guard against the problem of them boiling the rear brake fluid.
fat spider is offline   Reply With Quote