ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #541
marlboroughlad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by trokel View Post

Secondly, What tyres are you running in this photo and what do you think of them? I like the look of them and am trying to work out what to put on mine when I get it.
that front looks like a conti tkc and the rear is a mitas e-09 dakar

tkc not a bad 50/50 tyre, the rears are pricey and wear fast, fronts ok but shit in sand
the e-09 is stiff and hard wearing. be gentle on wet tar
marlboroughlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #542
trokel
Studly Adventurer
 
trokel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Albury Area
Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboroughlad View Post
that front looks like a conti tkc and the rear is a mitas e-09 dakar

tkc not a bad 50/50 tyre, the rears are pricey and wear fast, fronts ok but shit in sand
the e-09 is stiff and hard wearing. be gentle on wet tar
Thanks for the info. Have often thought of trying the E09 on the KLR but never got around to it, i stuck with the D606's instead. Did try an E07 once and it was a bit slippery on wet tar also.
trokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #543
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 1,099
Both E09's I have had have cracked at the knobs, might be long days (950+km) at high(ish) speeds on the bitumen that may have killed them though.
__________________
More gear and still no idea.
panhead_pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #544
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev
 
Aussie Trev's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Gawler, South Australia
Oddometer: 5,271
I know we don't want to turn this into a 'which tyre' thread, BUT, I had a Karoo (T) on the back for my last Flinders trip which included a reasonable amount of bitumen. I got 2000 kms out of it and then had the Pooncarie jaunt coming up and didn't think it would last, so PBee talked me into an E07. I've done nearly 2000 kms on that already and it still looks brand new. I reckon it gives a little more on the gravel exiting bends but nothing that can't be controlled, and seems to hold nicely on the bitumen, but I haven't tried it in the wet yet.

The front is a Scorpion Rally which seems to have done it's job pretty nicely and is due to be replaced, so I might shoot that into GC's here in Adelaide in the next couple of weeks.
__________________
2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
1982 PE175Z
Full member......Quorn Schnitzel Club

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:48 AM   #545
marlboroughlad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
Both E09's I have had have cracked at the knobs, might be long days (950+km) at high(ish) speeds on the bitumen that may have killed them though.
did you experiment with pressures pete? no dramas with mine.
marlboroughlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:01 AM   #546
trokel
Studly Adventurer
 
trokel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Albury Area
Oddometer: 921
Got mine today

I picked my new bike up today
It's a Demo model with just over 1100k's on the clock







There is still a set of factory panniers to come as Triumph were including them for free with bikes sold before the end of November

Now it's time to start farkling. Any Suggestions
Have already began building a new shorter, wider screen for it as i get too much buffeting with the original one and have ordered a unifilter prefilter as well.
trokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:13 AM   #547
'Pirate'
'12 Tiger 800XC
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Albury, NSW
Oddometer: 116
Prick!!!

Congratulations!
Extremely jealous.
Is that the one from Whitehouse Albury? When I mentioned to a mate a while back I would buy one eventually, I was told there was a sweet demo down there I should go test ride.....
Couldn't bring myself to take it for a ride, as that would surely mean I would then need to buy.....

Might have to hook up for a test ride at some stage....

Cheers, Pete.
__________________
_____________
If your bike could tavel at the speed of light, would your headlight still work.....
'Pirate' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:20 AM   #548
trokel
Studly Adventurer
 
trokel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Albury Area
Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Pirate' View Post
Is that the one from Whitehouse Albury? When I mentioned to a mate a while back I would buy one eventually, I was told there was a sweet demo down there I should go test ride.....
Couldn't bring myself to take it for a ride, as that would surely mean I would then need to buy.....

Might have to hook up for a test ride at some stage....

Cheers, Pete.
Yes, that is the one and I wasn't even looking for a new bike.
Was driving past one Saturday morning a few weeks back and saw they had a demo day so i thought what the hell it can't hurt to go for a test ride . I also tried out the 1050 sport. But after that I just couldn't get it out of my mind so i decided to take the missus for a spin on it with the thought that she wouldn't like it as much as the XJ and as such would talk me out of it. Well obviously that idea back fired didn't it.

As for the test ride are talking about the KLR? I haven't sold it yet so if you show me the cash and you can test ride it anytime you like.

However if it is the Tiger you are talking about then don't worry cause I get the feeling that it won't be too long before they have another demo available. As for mine I am probably going to be a bit over protective of it for a while, however it would be good to catch up for a ride again as it has been quite a while since our last one so who knows by the time that happens maybe a test ride won't be out of the question.
trokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #549
mallee
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 42
Ha Trokel,
They had a ride day here at Nowra and I took the 800 home for the night. Was good the feel a bit of throttle responce and 100km power slides . Sometime you don't feel on the KLR- But the KLR is half the price and you get what you pay for.
I was quite impressed with the bike but it is out until I pay me ute off and I want to ride the Yamaha 660 first.
Engoy your bike mate

Mallee
mallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:59 AM   #550
dirt_bloke
No idea
 
dirt_bloke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Wide Bay, Queensland, Australia
Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Pirate' View Post
Congratulations!
Extremely jealous.
Is that the one from Whitehouse Albury? When I mentioned to a mate a while back I would buy one eventually, I was told there was a sweet demo down there I should go test ride.....
Couldn't bring myself to take it for a ride, as that would surely mean I would then need to buy.....

Might have to hook up for a test ride at some stage....

Cheers, Pete.
Next time you're talking to Steve Whitehouse, ask him if he ever gets a call from Renzo Colleoni?

When Steve got a wild card ride in the 250 class at PI (1990) & Eastern Creek (1991) they took each other out on lap 1! See if that brings a wry smile to his face!

Pete

(seems that you can only have a Tiger if you name is Peter...)
__________________
I've often thought that
_________________________________________
Not a Member of the......Quorn Schnitzel Club
(yet)
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:11 AM   #551
trokel
Studly Adventurer
 
trokel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Albury Area
Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallee View Post
Ha Trokel,
Sometime you don't feel on the KLR- But the KLR is half the price and you get what you pay for.
I was quite impressed with the bike but it is out until I pay me ute off and I want to ride the Yamaha 660 first.
Engoy your bike mate

Mallee
I still like the KLR - It has done a great job it's just no good for 2up traveling and the missus is keen to get out on a few more rides that include some dirt and seeing as i don't want to expose the XJ to alot of dirt the Tiger seemed like a good choice.


As far as the bike is concerned I haven't had much of a chance to ride it yet but I have made the new screen and am starting on building some crash bars.
trokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:56 AM   #552
'Pirate'
'12 Tiger 800XC
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Albury, NSW
Oddometer: 116
Well save the plans.
WHEN (not if) I get a tiger I will commission you to build a set for me.
If they are anything like the ones on the KLR they will be better than factory

Cheers, Pete
__________________
_____________
If your bike could tavel at the speed of light, would your headlight still work.....
'Pirate' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:20 AM   #553
trokel
Studly Adventurer
 
trokel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Albury Area
Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Pirate' View Post
Well save the plans.
WHEN (not if) I get a tiger I will commission you to build a set for me.
If they are anything like the ones on the KLR they will be better than factory

Cheers, Pete
Plans I rarely have plans. I just start with an idea and see what evolves.
Hopefully they work out as good as the ones i made for KLR as they have proven their worth many times over.

trokel screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 02:28 AM
trokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #554
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_bloke View Post

(seems that you can only have a Tiger if you name is Peter...)
Sounds about right but Trev and Podge may disagree unless they are blessed with it as a middle name :)
__________________
More gear and still no idea.
panhead_pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #555
berty
the new guy
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Koolunga
Oddometer: 324
tune up

need a good mechanic in south aus for my tiger 800xc peter stevens fucked up will spend my money on some-one that knows the're job peferable north of adelaide
berty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014