GS-LC - problems

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by atg, May 5, 2013.

1. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, they didn't say not to, but there are several factors that determined the final figure, so it's not necessary to post how much. But it was in the hundreds (£).
  2. steelerider

steelerider Southafricanamerican

Oddometer:
    I was using tapatalk and I didn't realize it re-quoted all of the pics. Take a chill pill forum ninja.
  3. grace

grace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    i emailed the shop and asked details about the campaigns. they're closed today, monday. when i receive a response, i'll share it here. cheers.

4. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:

You do realize that you can edit your posts?
    Quit being a doofus and get it together.
  5. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    That would really be great. Thanks! :thumb
  6. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    Funny thing is that people with Tapatalk suffer from what he did more than desktop users.
  7. steelerider

steelerider Southafricanamerican

Oddometer:
    Just figured that out! I will henceforth get my shit together.
  8. fennel

fennel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Never thought that it would work in my pocket:)
  9. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    Depends on how sensitive GPS antenna your phone has.
  10. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @RichBMW: As long as both parties are happy with the deal;

Shit happens ...
  11. mefly2

mefly2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear of your difficulties with BMW NA. I went through the stall off during prime riding season waiting for the throttle assembly parts- in order to finish what was to be only a software "update". Lots of empty promises from BMWNA to compensate for all of the down time (no loaner) ...but in the end nothing from them! So the best that you can hope for is that the bike will be eventually fixed ...I bought my own Nav V !!!

At least you are not losing your riding time during the most enjoyable time of the year - snow there now? Thanks for taking the time to post the pics and videos.
  12. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly.:clap I'm very happy with the deal.:freaky
  13. grace

grace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    response from bmw shop regarding the two campaigns:
    "The throttle twist grip would malfunction on some motorcycles causing the bike to go into limp mode and not exceed 3000 rpm. The slave cylinder was an issue with a seal and that is also why the whole unit needed to be replaced."

shop only provided the campaign # for twist grip: "32 001 13 029"

these campaigns affected only select vin numbers.

cheers.
  14. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  15. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:
    My 2014 is 2 1/2 months old now and I brought it to the dealership for a few things to be looked at:

• Decompression device sporadically ticking at idle
    • ESA occasionally refusing to change preload modes requiring ignition to be cycled several times
    • Stiff release lever on GPS mount

Excellent service at my dealership (BMW Battersea) and they washed my bike. A summary of their responses to the issues above:

• Engine function checked under warranty. The ticking at idle is a normal characteristic of this engine. The decompression device operates via centrifugal force and the idle speed is on the cusp of the rotational speed where the device activates/deactivates. I am assured by BMW technical in Germany that this will not cause long term issues and is entirely normal. Despite annoying me.
    • ESA preload settings were found to be slightly out of calibration which was causing the computer to occasionally be unable to determine the current position/status. System recalibrated under warranty and preload settings now change consistently (for now).
    • GPS mount replaced under warranty.
    • Rear brake pads were found to be prematurely worn. Organic pads removed and replaced by sintered pads under warranty.

During my last excursion which included about 50 miles of muddy byways/trails in Salisbury Plain, I somehow collected a strip of metal in my rear tyre which of course cut right down to the cords. No Anakee IIIs in the entire UK and French Michelin networks apparently. Managed to find one from a tyre distributor in Poland for £20 less than the cost in the UK (including courier charges). Getting this replaced on Saturday.

I should mention, I have nearly 1,500 miles on the bike and operationally it has not put a foot wrong. Amazing brakes and incredibly stable suspension both alone and 2-up - the front-end dive on my F800GS feels odd after the solidity of the 1200. The engine (despite ticking at idle) is smooth and perfectly mannered at all speeds, and always has more than enough power on tap. Fuel economy in the city is not great (my own fault as it’s too tempting to give it beans all the time) but on my trip to Salisbury Plain I got between 50 and 60mpg (UK). No unusual behaviour from any of the switches, cruise control etc. Really my only (minor) complaint is a slightly vague neutral but this seems to be the norm for the transmission on the K50. And the clutch engaged too sharply until the oil change at the first service, after which it has been perfectly smooth and progressive.
  16. ruscook

ruscook Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice update - ta

I put organic pads on my GTR1400 and wore them out in 9000km. For $4 more I went back to sintered :-)

Good luck with the decompression "tick" and the ESA fix. Hopefully neither recur.
  17. duffs

duffs I have a beard

Oddometer:
    Thanks - the tick doesn’t cause any operational issues, it just annoys me to hear it :D

It’s only been 2 days so too soon to tell if the preload adjustment still gets ‘confused’ - hopefully resolved for good. I change from solo to 2-up and vice versa very often so at least it’s not a matter of underuse and things getting seized up.

The rear brakes are interesting - I find I don’t use the rear brake much on this bike due to the combined braking function. I’m definitely not the first on here to have the factory pads replaced under warranty. On my 800 (with completely separate brakes) I am admittedly hard on the rear brake, because I use it to even out the dive from the front when braking, and also to adjust the lean angle in corners now and then - the 1200 has a lower centre of gravity and different handling so I don’t find I do this often, if at all, on it.
  18. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    was the ESA calibration something we can do in the field? or did it require the BMW computer?
  19. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Photoshop ?
    If not, what happened ?

[​IMG]
  20. GeorgeD

GeorgeD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this photo is from a Greek web site that sells cars, motorcycles, etc.
    There are more photos and viewing them I understand the motorcycle was involved in an accident. By the way, the same says the owner in the website.
    The owner sells it for 9000euro, at least this price he recommends and is under discussion.
    Here are more photos:
    http://www.car.gr/classifieds/bikes/photos/4351155/