Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
spartanman OP
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 946
Interesting. Only one person reports a problem with a new 1100 and threads of LC issues abound. I have to wonder if BMW rushed development a bit too much and didn't adequately test the bike and subsystems. Perhaps it's the trend toward replacing tests of physical hardware with analysis in an effort to save development costs. Such software tools were in their infancy when the 1100 was designed.
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #17
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,924
Ask how many new 1100 owners got a new transmission somewhere along the line.

In 1995 the big BMW owner issue wasn't as much about the bikes as it was about the warranty. I think BMW went from 3 years unlimited mileage to 3 years or 36K miles in '96.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #18
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman View Post
Interesting. Only one person reports a problem with a new 1100 and threads of LC issues abound. I have to wonder if BMW rushed development a bit too much and didn't adequately test the bike and subsystems. Perhaps it's the trend toward replacing tests of physical hardware with analysis in an effort to save development costs. Such software tools were in their infancy when the 1100 was designed.
There is a video somewhere of an interview with some by up BMW person. The video states that the LC has been thoroughly tested and in fact they have done a million miles on it. It doesn't state right enough whether those were real or virtual miles but either way, on the face of it anyway, it would appear to not have been enough.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #19
Girthy Knobkers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
There is a video somewhere of an interview with some by up BMW person. The video states that the LC has been thoroughly tested and in fact they have done a million miles on it. It doesn't state right enough whether those were real or virtual miles but either way, on the face of it anyway, it would appear to not have been enough.
I agree it was rushed. They let the cat out of the bag on it too early. I mean, sure it was the right time chronologically, but not mechanically...

Mines been great, others have had big issues and/or small issues. It's a crapshoot with any 1st model year.

/closed

ps my m94 transmission has yet to "ratchet" on me.. Guess I'm lucky? Shit, it will probably take a dump on me tmw...
Girthy Knobkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #20
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
They tested the p*ss out of it, but those may have been mostly hand-built machines from well-selected parts. Yes, there have been some random manufacturing and assembly issues to be addressed (like all bikes have), and the supply chain is crap so far (my biggest complaint), but the only real design flaw so far was the switchgear (borrowed from the K16), which they have now addressed with a redesign. Whether the water pump itself has a design problem or just some bad seals is still questionable, they don't fail at nearly the rate of the switchgear so far.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #21
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Don't think it would be harsh to bring the clutch into this either. There seems to be more than a few with clutch/gearshift problems.
I think there are a few design problems but there seems to be a few build quality problems as well. Nothing huge but there all the same.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:00 AM   #22
dnajoy
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I bought my 1996 1100 in 1998 with 3,200 miles on the clock.
Head gaskit went at around 35,000 but it was my own fault as I over filled it.
It had a gearbox rebuild at 85,000 - a common fault, BMW upgraded the gearbox in 1998.
Starter motor went at 111,000.
Apart from that it's just been routine servicing and normal wear out parts.
114,000 miles now and I'm planning a round the world trip next year - "new bike" you say - no, but I'll give it a wash and service before we go
dnajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #23
scooterboy56
Jeff Deavers

Oddometer: 25
R1100GS problems

Bought my R1100gs in April, 1994. 77,000+ miles. Replaced HES, 2 years ago. Brake cylinder, 10 years ago. Runs perfectly, no other problems.
scooterboy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #24
scooterboy56
Jeff Deavers

Oddometer: 25
R1100GS probs

Oh yeah, my tank has a few small bubbles here and there. All on the underside.
scooterboy56 is offline   Reply With Quote