Old 11-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #91
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
LOL
I am just giving you a hard time.
The truth is I just lost 35 pounds but I still weigh a few pounds more than i want to.
I know enough GS drivers to know they can take a joke.

I do eat way to much to, but every now and then I run a marathon to keep fit, you should try that. (I am aware I am a bit younger to).

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #92
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
Compact and (muscle) dense!
well the first word may describe one part of my body and the second word another... I'll leave it to you to figure out which for what
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #93
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
I know enough GS drivers to know they can take a joke.

I do eat way to much to, but every now and then I run a marathon to keep fit, you should try that. (I am aware I am a bit younger to).
I have been on a perpetual low-carb diet for years. Night do a better job of it some months than others... LOL

believe me, I should weigh less than I do.
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
Old 11-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #94
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

i leave my bike alone, outside of work... for 5 minutes
and look what the ladies who work with me did to it:

Old 11-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #95
mountainguy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Looks like you've lost a few pounds!
mountainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #96
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainguy View Post
Looks like you've lost a few pounds!
yeah... i needed to...

ClearwaterBMW screwed with this post 11-21-2013 at 12:04 PM
Old 11-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #97
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

I wrote 125 miles last night 100 of which were on the interstate. I did vary my speed and RPMs etc. and never went above 5200 RPM.
For the record miles per gallon were 39 when riding at highway speeds.
Please remember that my first tank was 48.3 mpg when writing under 50 mph on the back roads

A couple of observations:

- the highway was rather desolate and dark on the way home and I quickly realized that the stock, LED BMW headlight alone gives very poor illumination of the road ahead whether on low or high beam. I should tell you that the new pavement on this interstate was of a darker variety and therefore would characteristically "suck in" light much more than while riding on a lighter pavement. The Clearwater lights ERICA version are incredible and although they are mounted too far towards the midline and under the beak of the bike until I can find a better solution... They provide incredible light down the road. I am still considering adding a set of DARLAS but I won't put them on the fork tubes but maybe somehow mounted on the lower crash bars. I really am not sure yet. I ride at night more than most people because I work every single day of the week to pay for my motorcycle addiction. My main point here is that every single water-cooled GS needs auxiliary lighting to safely see at night, let alone be seen even if you spend money on the optional LED headlight cluster, IMHO, of course.

- The stock BMW windscreen provides more than adequate protection from the elements for someone of my 5'6"/27.5 inch inseam frame. However, I truly believe that this windscreen is the flimsiest BMW has ever created. I know that it doesn't shatter like so many other brands in an accident but at 80 miles an hour it moves around and vibrates like none other I've seen. I appreciate the ability to adjust the windscreen while riding but the mechanism in the way it connects to the flimsy windscreen contributes to this issue. Never is it more in evidence, then when I am washing the bike and realize that you cannot put much pressure on the screen as opposed to those on any other BMW I have owned. I wondering what you think about this.

- I'm adjusting to the seat and it feels a bit more comfortable to me after more saddle time.

- The Michelin Anakee III tires feel great on the highway and exit/on ramps. Again, they have a great deal more road noise than other tires but of course it would be impossible to hear that on the interstate.

- Once again, while BMW felt obligated to adopt the worldwide standard for turn signal switch gear I believe their unit isn't as good as some on other bikes. Also because of the control wheel for the GPS it is further away from your thumb to activate and I don't like that. Also, the horn switch is located in a slightly different location than every other BMW ever made. Also, the high beam switch is too far inboard because of that control wheel as well. While BMW has needed to adopt this worldwide standard I believe it is a step backward in some ways and I hope they will improve the quality of their switch gear in the future. The high beam switch is flimsy and doesn't feel like it's going to be working for the long haul, but only time will tell me of my feelings about that are true or not

- The bike really is a pleasure to ride even if it's on the boring interstate. It's nimble in traffic and I'm enjoying the extra power the water boxer has making me feel much more confident on the highway. I don't ride on highways very often but where I live they are a necessary evil to get anywhere interesting. To go from my house to where I was meeting people last night taking the interstate was the only option, just so you know.

- I'm scheduled to have the first service on the bike tomorrow and I will let you know how that goes. I look forward to "discovering" ALL that this water-cooled motor has to offer after the service is done.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #98
nadredrum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
I have found that putting the screen in the low position on the highway helps with the vibrations in the screen, I am 5'7" ane still gives good protection even in 20 degree temps.
Also if you havent adjusted the headlight have them do it at the first servervice for you.
nadredrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #99
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadredrum View Post
I have found that putting the screen in the low position on the highway helps with the vibrations in the screen, I am 5'7" ane still gives good protection even in 20 degree temps.
Also if you havent adjusted the headlight have them do it at the first servervice for you.
Thank you for both of those suggestions. I really appreciate them
Old 11-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #100
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadredrum View Post
FWIW, my bike has the halogen headlight and it too was aimed way too low from the factory. I had to raise it way up to make it useful. The adjuster is a big knob-like screw you can even grab with fingers and turn. There is a pic in the owner's manual.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #101
ClearwaterBMW OP
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
FWIW, my bike has the halogen headlight and it too was aimed way too low from the factory. I had to raise it way up to make it useful. The adjuster is a big knob-like screw you can even grab with fingers and turn. There is a pic in the owner's manual.
i will do that later today
thank you

is the LED cluster adjustable?
i OUGHT to know that

ClearwaterBMW screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 05:54 AM
Old 11-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #102
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,579
That windscreen may move around, but it is tough. At Rawhide there was a guy who landed the bike upside down and the screen scratched a bit, but didn't break it or the mounts. I'll see if I can find the photo.

Jim

PS Interesting thread.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #103
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
is the LED cluster adjustable?
i OUGHT to know that
Yes, in the same way. Mine too was too low and I had to raise it.

Stop on a back, dark road somewhere at night, twirl the knob until you think it's good, and you're done.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:14 AM   #104
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,969
Just watch your arm when you reach in to twirl the knob. The instrument cluster is only attached with "pop in" studs in rubber grommets. If you are careless, your forearm will pop the instrument cluster out of its grommets. You can press it back in place, but just be aware of that. DAMHIK.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #105
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Just watch your arm when you reach in to twirl the knob. The instrument cluster is only attached with "pop in" studs in rubber grommets. If you are careless, your forearm will pop the instrument cluster out of its grommets. You can press it back in place, but just be aware of that. DAMHIK.
That is interesting. The Hexhead and Camhead had similar studs, but backed with Jesus clips.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote