User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
deacon51 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
R1200GSW Lighting

Okay, this time of year I'm doing a lot of night riding. I have got to get some type of auxiliary lighting to light up the preferential of the road. I like the looks of the stock system, and would like to replicate that. I need a mount bar lights and switches. I think I want a two stage light that will brighten when I hit the hi-beam.

Any suggestions for a good solution?
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post
Okay, this time of year I'm doing a lot of night riding. I have got to get some type of auxiliary lighting to light up the preferential of the road. I like the looks of the stock system, and would like to replicate that. I need a mount bar lights and switches. I think I want a two stage light that will brighten when I hit the hi-beam.

Any suggestions for a good solution?
Maybe some idea's here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238150

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
deacon51 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Not, it doesn't. I don't have upper crash bars, so I need a mounting system. Ton of info in the Farkles for the GS-W: Put 'em all in here thread, but lights are mixed in with tank bags and radiator guards. I had hoped to get a thread just on aux lighting for the 2013+ GSW.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
If you are going to buy new lights, buy LEDs. Of a boatload ive used, I really like my current set up with is the Cyclops / VisionX long range in 10 degree. They are awesome.

As for mounts, there are a couple under beak style mounts. I actually purchased a mount from Twisted Throttle and then never used it that I would sell you if you are interested.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,657
I use the Hornig light bar in combination with the Clearwater Darlas. They also have an option for the BMW light bar.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
deacon51 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
If you are going to buy new lights, buy LEDs. Of a boatload ive used, I really like my current set up with is the Cyclops / VisionX long range in 10 degree. They are awesome.

As for mounts, there are a couple under beak style mounts. I actually purchased a mount from Twisted Throttle and then never used it that I would sell you if you are interested.
I may be, I have that light bar in my cart now, but I'm worried that it protrudes too far for me. The pics on the web site don't show it very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis
I use the Hornig light bar in combination with the Clearwater Darlas. They also have an option for the BMW light bar.
I can't seem to find a link.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
I never actually mounted the bar, but I did hold it up under the beak. It doesn't look like it would stick out any further than required by the lights. I suppose if you hung the lights from the bottom, you could get away with it being narrower but I suppose it's all personal preference.

Its a real simple mount overall. I would have used it, but my wife bought me some upper crash bars for my birthday right after I purchased the light bracket so I used the crash bars instead.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #8
deacon51 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes, I would like to replicate the look of the OEM light bar, with the light underslung and tucked a little. I may just go with the OEM Bar and lights, although I hate to pay a such premium when there are better lights for less money.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:32 AM   #9
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, I would like to replicate the look of the OEM light bar, with the light underslung and tucked a little. I may just go with the OEM Bar and lights, although I hate to pay a such premium when there are better lights for less money.
I had a problem with the BMW lights since they are only on in combination with the night lighting. So I ordered the Clearwater Darla lights and they will be mounted on the BMW lighting bar. In Europe they are about the same price as the BMW lights, but they should be rather good.

Yes, still a rookie
Old 11-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
deacon51 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
I had a problem with the BMW lights since they are only on in combination with the night lighting. So I ordered the Clearwater Darla lights and they will be mounted on the BMW lighting bar. In Europe they are about the same price as the BMW lights, but they should be rather good.
Thank you for the reply.

That's a good point, here in the States it's against the law to have the Day Time running light, so we run the headlight all the time. I wounder how (if) that effects the operation of the U.S. aux lights. My goal is to provide lighting to the side when the bike is leaned in a turn, I'm not after distance, or day time viability. How would you rate the factory Aux lights in this regard?

How are you going to mount to the factory light bar? To me it looks like it would be incompatible with most other lights.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
Jarvis
DC GSer

Quote:
I can't seem to find a link.
http://www.clearwaterlights.com/application.html
Old 11-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
deacon51 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I wonder if I could fork mount 2 inch lights higher on the fork tube where the lights are a little under the beak and skip the light bar.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
Jarvis
DC GSer

Quote:
I wonder if I could fork mount 2 inch lights higher on the fork tube where the lights are a little under the beak and skip the light bar.
I looked at this and decided it was almost impossible to do because of interference with the radiator cover bodywork.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:54 AM   #14
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thank you for the reply.

That's a good point, here in the States it's against the law to have the Day Time running light, so we run the headlight all the time. I wounder how (if) that effects the operation of the U.S. aux lights. My goal is to provide lighting to the side when the bike is leaned in a turn, I'm not after distance, or day time viability. How would you rate the factory Aux lights in this regard?

How are you going to mount to the factory light bar? To me it looks like it would be incompatible with most other lights.
In the purchase Clearwater also sends you a compatible lighting bar. So it should fit perfectly.
In European law there is a vacuum for DRL on motorcycles. So technically it is illegal over here to. Germany is busy (or allready has) adapting the law.
But in practice it's no problem. Since the DRL actuallly improve the visibility of the bike compared to others. The police doesn't create any problems with the DRL.
But this time a year my bike refuses to go to the day setting. It always stays in the night setting since it isn't bright enough outside. Grey days with lots of clouds and rain and morning and evening commutes in the (half)dark.

Yes, still a rookie
Old 11-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #15
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Aluminum angle or bar stock mounted to the frame under your beak - cut it to the length that you want for side extension / measurements - then, mount some Rigid brand LEDs to it and take your wife / girlfriend / partner out to dinner ... still have money left to have several more dinners.

An alternative is to buy any of the upper CBars and mount the lights to them; it might save you %$#& frustration and money in the long run.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote