ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
deacon51 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
deacon51's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 354
R1200GSW Lighting

Okay, this time of year I'm doing a lot of night riding. I have got to get some type of auxiliary lighting to light up the preferential of the road. I like the looks of the stock system, and would like to replicate that. I need a mount bar lights and switches. I think I want a two stage light that will brighten when I hit the hi-beam.

Any suggestions for a good solution?
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
IB1
Studly Adventurer
 
IB1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Brussels
Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post
Okay, this time of year I'm doing a lot of night riding. I have got to get some type of auxiliary lighting to light up the preferential of the road. I like the looks of the stock system, and would like to replicate that. I need a mount bar lights and switches. I think I want a two stage light that will brighten when I hit the hi-beam.

Any suggestions for a good solution?
Maybe some idea's here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238150
__________________
Past bikes: 09 BMW F800ST
Current ride: 2013 BMW R1200GS

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
deacon51 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
deacon51's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 354
Not, it doesn't. I don't have upper crash bars, so I need a mounting system. Ton of info in the Farkles for the GS-W: Put 'em all in here thread, but lights are mixed in with tank bags and radiator guards. I had hoped to get a thread just on aux lighting for the 2013+ GSW.
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Fenton, MI
Oddometer: 819
If you are going to buy new lights, buy LEDs. Of a boatload ive used, I really like my current set up with is the Cyclops / VisionX long range in 10 degree. They are awesome.

As for mounts, there are a couple under beak style mounts. I actually purchased a mount from Twisted Throttle and then never used it that I would sell you if you are interested.
__________________
'13 BMW 1200 GSW
'05 Honda ST1300
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Jarvis
DC GSer
 
Jarvis's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Washington DC
Oddometer: 10,657
I use the Hornig light bar in combination with the Clearwater Darlas. They also have an option for the BMW light bar.
__________________
Support DC voting rights.
Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
deacon51 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
deacon51's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
If you are going to buy new lights, buy LEDs. Of a boatload ive used, I really like my current set up with is the Cyclops / VisionX long range in 10 degree. They are awesome.

As for mounts, there are a couple under beak style mounts. I actually purchased a mount from Twisted Throttle and then never used it that I would sell you if you are interested.
I may be, I have that light bar in my cart now, but I'm worried that it protrudes too far for me. The pics on the web site don't show it very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis
I use the Hornig light bar in combination with the Clearwater Darlas. They also have an option for the BMW light bar.
I can't seem to find a link.
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Fenton, MI
Oddometer: 819
I never actually mounted the bar, but I did hold it up under the beak. It doesn't look like it would stick out any further than required by the lights. I suppose if you hung the lights from the bottom, you could get away with it being narrower but I suppose it's all personal preference.

Its a real simple mount overall. I would have used it, but my wife bought me some upper crash bars for my birthday right after I purchased the light bracket so I used the crash bars instead.
__________________
'13 BMW 1200 GSW
'05 Honda ST1300
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:11 AM   #8
deacon51 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
deacon51's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 354
Yes, I would like to replicate the look of the OEM light bar, with the light underslung and tucked a little. I may just go with the OEM Bar and lights, although I hate to pay a such premium when there are better lights for less money.
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:32 AM   #9
IB1
Studly Adventurer
 
IB1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Brussels
Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post
Yes, I would like to replicate the look of the OEM light bar, with the light underslung and tucked a little. I may just go with the OEM Bar and lights, although I hate to pay a such premium when there are better lights for less money.
I had a problem with the BMW lights since they are only on in combination with the night lighting. So I ordered the Clearwater Darla lights and they will be mounted on the BMW lighting bar. In Europe they are about the same price as the BMW lights, but they should be rather good.
__________________
Past bikes: 09 BMW F800ST
Current ride: 2013 BMW R1200GS

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
deacon51 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
deacon51's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
I had a problem with the BMW lights since they are only on in combination with the night lighting. So I ordered the Clearwater Darla lights and they will be mounted on the BMW lighting bar. In Europe they are about the same price as the BMW lights, but they should be rather good.
Thank you for the reply.

That's a good point, here in the States it's against the law to have the Day Time running light, so we run the headlight all the time. I wounder how (if) that effects the operation of the U.S. aux lights. My goal is to provide lighting to the side when the bike is leaned in a turn, I'm not after distance, or day time viability. How would you rate the factory Aux lights in this regard?

How are you going to mount to the factory light bar? To me it looks like it would be incompatible with most other lights.
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
Jarvis
DC GSer
 
Jarvis's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Washington DC
Oddometer: 10,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post
I can't seem to find a link.
http://www.clearwaterlights.com/application.html
__________________
Support DC voting rights.
Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
deacon51 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
deacon51's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 354
I wonder if I could fork mount 2 inch lights higher on the fork tube where the lights are a little under the beak and skip the light bar.
deacon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
Jarvis
DC GSer
 
Jarvis's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Washington DC
Oddometer: 10,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post
I wonder if I could fork mount 2 inch lights higher on the fork tube where the lights are a little under the beak and skip the light bar.
I looked at this and decided it was almost impossible to do because of interference with the radiator cover bodywork.
__________________
Support DC voting rights.
Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:54 AM   #14
IB1
Studly Adventurer
 
IB1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Brussels
Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon51 View Post
Thank you for the reply.

That's a good point, here in the States it's against the law to have the Day Time running light, so we run the headlight all the time. I wounder how (if) that effects the operation of the U.S. aux lights. My goal is to provide lighting to the side when the bike is leaned in a turn, I'm not after distance, or day time viability. How would you rate the factory Aux lights in this regard?

How are you going to mount to the factory light bar? To me it looks like it would be incompatible with most other lights.
In the purchase Clearwater also sends you a compatible lighting bar. So it should fit perfectly.
In European law there is a vacuum for DRL on motorcycles. So technically it is illegal over here to. Germany is busy (or allready has) adapting the law.
But in practice it's no problem. Since the DRL actuallly improve the visibility of the bike compared to others. The police doesn't create any problems with the DRL.
But this time a year my bike refuses to go to the day setting. It always stays in the night setting since it isn't bright enough outside. Grey days with lots of clouds and rain and morning and evening commutes in the (half)dark.
__________________
Past bikes: 09 BMW F800ST
Current ride: 2013 BMW R1200GS

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #15
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer
 
mefly2's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Big Sky Country
Oddometer: 1,231
Aluminum angle or bar stock mounted to the frame under your beak - cut it to the length that you want for side extension / measurements - then, mount some Rigid brand LEDs to it and take your wife / girlfriend / partner out to dinner ... still have money left to have several more dinners.

An alternative is to buy any of the upper CBars and mount the lights to them; it might save you %$#& frustration and money in the long run.
__________________
----------------> jer-
30+ years with RTs...then to F/GS; now *Finally*
the BMW: R1200GSW, factory low seat & lower crash bars;
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014