Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #11101
sbrownn
SlowMo

Oddometer: 457
If there is, it doesn't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
There is supposed to be a fan in the LED headlights. One purpose is to cool the junction point of the LED's themselves and another is the excess heat is blown at the front to melt snow and ice. The full description and pictures is in a link somewhere in the early days of this thread.
Well, the temperature was right at 32 degrees. If the heat system won't melt snow off the lights right at freezing then it won't work at all which has been my experience. Generally I don't ride when there is snow but sometimes it starts snowing late in the day after I have ridden to work. Because of where I live I can usually get most of the way home before I have to stop and put the chains on.
sbrownn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #11102
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrownn View Post
Well, the temperature was right at 32 degrees. If the heat system won't melt snow off the lights right at freezing then it won't work at all which has been my experience. Generally I don't ride when there is snow but sometimes it starts snowing late in the day after I have ridden to work. Because of where I live I can usually get most of the way home before I have to stop and put the chains on.
Thing is, many of us use headlight protection. Even traditional headlights wont heat enough to keep the ice/snow build-up off the protector.

If the weather is that bad you shouldn't be riding at night.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #11103
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullholb View Post
Hi, been here awhile just lookin. Anyway how you guys finding the seats on the new GSLC. I have an RT with all day seats which are great.

Just wondering if I will have to go that custom seat road again if I go for a GSLC. Only sat on one so far felt ok, I just about always ride 2 up so dose the rear set stack up for your passenger? probably more
inportant.

Thanks in advance
Bill
Hard to say, everyone’s bottom is unique... I find the seat very firm, but somehow it doesn’t cause me any issues and I can ride it for several hours without discomfort. I’ve been on all day rides and ended the day no worse for wear than when I started.

For reference, I also have an F800GS with both the standard and comfort seats - on the standard seat I need to get off the bike after an hour, for the comfort seat, maybe 2 hours. Within a month of returning from a 3000 mile trip around the Alps last summer I put my deposit on the 1200 and only use my 800 for shorter journeys or when I ride rough trails.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #11104
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullholb View Post
Hi, been here awhile just lookin. Anyway how you guys finding the seats on the new GSLC. I have an RT with all day seats which are great. Just wondering if I will have to go that custom seat road again if I go for a GSLC. Only sat on one so far felt ok, I just about always ride 2 up so dose the rear set stack up for your passenger? probably more
inportant.
Thanks in advance
Bill
I haven't carried passengers yet, so can't say anything about the passenger seat, although it does seem large and well shaped to hold the passenger in place.

The stock front seat is pretty good. I'm usually pretty sensitive to seat comfort, and it has been fine for several 1000 mile weekends and one 6 day trip of 2500 miles so far. The seat is kind of soft, so I'm not sure how well the foam will hold up long-term, but its great so far.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #11105
Liquidape
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoodtja View Post
I haven't carried passengers yet, so can't say anything about the passenger seat, although it does seem large and well shaped to hold the passenger in place.

The stock front seat is pretty good. I'm usually pretty sensitive to seat comfort, and it has been fine for several 1000 mile weekends and one 6 day trip of 2500 miles so far. The seat is kind of soft, so I'm not sure how well the foam will hold up long-term, but its great so far.
My wife likes the passenger accommodations much better on the stock Wasserboxer seat than the Corbin I had on my '04 Multistrada.
I on the other hand miss the Corbin I had on the Multi. I have the high seat and the stock seat for the GS. The high seat is OK, but still not all day comfortable for me. I'll be sending the stock seat out over the winter to be shaped by one of the Mayers and then sell the high seat.
Liquidape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #11106
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
Add another value? Asian, European or North American?
A bit like the clothing sizes.
...just select metric or Englsih ... kilos or pounds just as you do with most electronics...
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #11107
sbrownn
SlowMo

Well, yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Thing is, many of us use headlight protection. Even traditional headlights wont heat enough to keep the ice/snow build-up off the protector.

If the weather is that bad you shouldn't be riding at night.

Jim
Yeah, l I should have left the students to fend for themselves and gone home at 3:00.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #11108
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
I'm going stur crazy for the price of the new WC Adventure. Does anyone have an inside track to the information. Some are saying 23,000 USD give or take 1,000, most likely give. Thoughts? Maybe this has been hashed out already, if so any help to where? (yes I searched around )
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #11109
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrownn View Post
Yeah, l I should have left the students to fend for themselves and gone home at 3:00.
Wow, take it to the stupid level. If there is a chance of snow, and you are going to piss and moan about riding in it, take the damn car!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #11110
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I'm going stur crazy for the price of the new WC Adventure. Does anyone have an inside track to the information. Some are saying 23,000 USD give or take 1,000, most likely give. Thoughts? Maybe this has been hashed out already, if so any help to where? (yes I searched around )
Full prices and specs are up on the UK BMW site if they are any good to you.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:48 AM   #11111
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Over here it is allready in the configurator. Full option (ex cases) it comes to about 20300 Euro's, which is about 400 Euro more than a simularly spec GS.

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #11112
sbrownn
SlowMo

Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Wow, take it to the stupid level. If there is a chance of snow, and you are going to piss and moan about riding in it, take the damn car!

Jim
Not pissing and moaning. Just making a comment as to an issue with the lights. If you can't think of anything intelligent to say, and obviously you can't, please keep your comments to yourself.

Try commenting when you haven't been drinking.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #11113
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,458
JVB and sbrownn
You can stop now.

Really you can.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:01 AM   #11114
GSMarc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 934
I think Sbrown did a good comment about snow.

As BMW builds his bike more and more like his cars, heating front lights could be a good option for some countries.
I'm sometimes driving in snow too.

2005 HP2E
2005 HP2E SM Prototype
GSMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:34 AM   #11115
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMarc View Post
I think Sbrown did a good comment about snow.

As BMW builds his bike more and more like his cars, heating front lights could be a good option for some countries.
I'm sometimes driving in snow too.

I am reminded of my youth when a bike was all I had to ride to work, regardless of the weather. There were many evenings when I would come home looking like a snowman and colder than a duck's ass in January. Back then riding in ice and snow was fun. Now, as the bones age, taking a car seems like the thing to do; however, I do understand why you'd want some heat at various points on the bike to melt ice and snow.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote