ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #26986
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,955
Laugh I knew someone would comment on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
sex...this is going to the basement
Your mind is already there.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #26987
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
I to have the NUVI 500. It is limited but works. I noticed in Basecamp there are more selections when making a route. I wonder which GPS uses them all. Only the $$$$ units.
Found this. https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={0f37d3e0-5440-11dd-f529-000000000000}

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #26988
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I'm often taking a different route than what the algorithm suggests.
When I did that with the ZUMO, the female voice prompt almost sounded pissed off when saying..."re-calculating!"

Old 11-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #26989
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I've got this...

The sun always rises in the Southwest and sets in the Northeast...oh wait, maybe that's wrong...?

Oh, I've got it now...if you hold your watch towards the sun at the twelve-O-clock position you are always facing East. Wait, maybe that's North? Or was that a compass I was supposed to aim towards the sun...

Hmmm...

You're being pretty critical of a simple navigation tool. Thousands of people have successfully navigated millions of miles using one.
My guess now is, when maps became popular they were criticized by explorers as being a crutch.

Have you hugged your sextant today?

Now that's just funny!
And, like Scotty might add, I don't care who you are!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #26990
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
GPS? We don't need no stinkin' GPSs.

Precisely how I spent many years discovering around. Thanks for clarifying, ol' chap!

... although on my lists, I wouldn't keep writing "to" and "Rt", I'd abbreviate R and L, and I'd also put an approximate distance between turns. Otherwise, just like that.

Before I had a tank bag, I'd tape a clear document holder to my tank and slip the goodies in there to view.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)

ONandOFF screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 09:31 AM
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #26991
fragile_this_side_up
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
So, watching all of this "GPS" talk, i figured i'd interject. Because i don't do a lot of "adventure" riding, my Samsung S3 is my GPS. I know, i know. But it's worked well for me. That being said, I have a tendancy to get frustrated with it. Why? Well, let's say we go down a gravel road at a good clip or hit some potholes. Being mounted to my handlebars causes the phone to shake. Apparently this is a design of the app, but when people get frustrated i guess they shake it? Anyways, a prompt comes up and asks if you are having issues. I thought it funny. But then realize it doesn't go away until i pull over, remove my gloves, and hit the "continue" button. Come to think of it, let me check to see how to turn that off...

Carry on.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #26992
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,847

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ho...06/7322/49408/
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #26993
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 708
Glad we could help

(I hate when I do the same thing, especially in front of my wife)

Corporate Downsize - Screw it, I'm doing the TransLab
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #26994
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 3,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post

Before I had a tank bag, I'd tape a clear document holder to my tank and slip the goodies in there to view.

That's what I wanted to do, but I like to sit too far back on the seat to make it possible.
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #26995
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
So, watching all of this "GPS" talk, i figured i'd interject. Because i don't do a lot of "adventure" riding, my Samsung S3 is my GPS. I know, i know. But it's worked well for me. That being said, I have a tendancy to get frustrated with it. Why? Well, let's say we go down a gravel road at a good clip or hit some potholes. Being mounted to my handlebars causes the phone to shake. Apparently this is a design of the app, but when people get frustrated i guess they shake it? Anyways, a prompt comes up and asks if you are having issues. I thought it funny. But then realize it doesn't go away until i pull over, remove my gloves, and hit the "continue" button. Come to think of it, let me check to see how to turn that off...

Carry on.
I've thought about going the smart phone route except for it being waterproof and as shock proof as a purpose built GPS.

So, they know when you're so pissed, you're about to throw then into the woods eh?

Old 11-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #26996
fragile_this_side_up
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
http://www.rammount.com/Products/Aqu...5/Default.aspx

Google maps has it's own shake setting. disabled. ;)
Old 11-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #26997
JaxObsessed
RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL

Oddometer: 8,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I've thought about going the smart phone route except for it being waterproof and as shock proof as a purpose built GPS.

So, they know when you're so pissed, you're about to throw then into the woods eh?
Siri Sad...
Old 11-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #26998
phunmusicphan
Dude

Oddometer: 399
I use an off line gps app on my S3 and It seems to get the job done. I had to pay for it to get a decent one. Still not Garmin paying for it. I got a life proof case (water and shock proof) it sucked I don't use it any more. Another app you can buy that is a good one is "Dual Sport Maps". It has a online companion that you can load tracks and download tracks others have taken Its nice, and well done. Guy is an adv rider.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #26999
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
+1 on the US Dual sport app
Old 11-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #27000
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiP210 View Post
Wow, I started a topic going. I dont believe it has topo, but you can create and upload routes on basecamp. It came with North America maps and free lifetime upgrades. The bells and whistles are in the apps, bluetooth, maintenance log tracking, alarm clock, meh. If you buy the right valve stem caps it will tell you your tire pressure. Thats all I know for now. I got it wired up and mounted. I will plug it in to the PC later and play around with it.

Dang Beantop needs to get that so he will know how much pressure lulu is holding.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote