ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #76
Chris 690R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Chris, short version: Create your route or track in BaseCamp (free from Garmin) or if it is one that someone gave you, open it in BaseCamp, and there is a button you click to push it to the GPS unit.
Sorry for stupid question! I posted, then read a heap of threads and will try this when I pick up the Montana tomorrow! Hopefully it is not to hard to navigate and work out! Looking forward to this cool GPS!

Chris

Chris 690R screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 10:26 PM
Chris 690R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #77
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 30,232
no such thing as a stupid question, thats how we ALL learn!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #78
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
I agree you are going to need BaseCamp. Tracks and routes are normally distributed amongst the community via gpx and gpd files. You can import these into BaseCamp.

You hook the Montana up to the computer via USB cable. BaseCamp will recognize the unit.

I usually send files to the Montana by right clicking on the file and using SendTo. In then send them to the Montana Internal Storage area, but you can also send them to the SD card this way.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #79
Gatorwing
Abby Normal

Oddometer: 13
Cool2 Flying Google Earth - How to (Fixed)

Google makes software changes and sometimes I am not aware that a problem exists . I have fixed the problem in the "Sample Helicopter Flight" shown the TEST-Helicopter flying a "Mapsource" Motorcycle Route in "Google Earth" as of 4-11-2013.

Here is the link :

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?265566-TEST-Helicopter-flying-a-quot-Mapsource-quot-Route-in-quot-Google-Earth-quot&p=3081593#post3081593

Gatorwing screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 01:18 PM Reason: Had to screw with the spelling :-)
Gatorwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #80
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
what map set(s) do i need for the TAT? Topo 100k? Topo24k? City Nav?

Can I get away with just one mapset, or do I need multiples? Garmin surely doesn't give them away!
stuntheavy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:27 AM   #81
Paulie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
yay!

Helpful stuff round here. This gps nooby's been trying to git google maps routes into my 76cx w/o lotsa futzing.

Here's what worked (finally!)...

save my google map
click kml & download it
open wingdb3
click mapsource, 22, filter 250 points, convert
in mapsource, rename & send it to gps
on gps, navigate the route with "don't follow road"

I'll play round with lowering the 250 figger to try to git more "necessary" points (the ones at turns). This is Floriduh, heh. BTW the new mount worked like a champ too http://www.rammount.com/NewProducts/...9/Default.aspx
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #82
HBL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
.img to .gpx?

Okay, no such thing as a stupid question, right? Well, here goes

I am trying to convert .img files to .gpx files, to be used with a Garmin Montana. I have been told there are several methods to accomplish this using one or more freeware software programs, some good, some not so good, but no specific recommendations. I have also been told that the .img files cannot be read by Basecamp, to just load directly into the Montana, but I haven't had any success with this approach either

Can anyone provide a recommended approach

The two files I am trying to convert are located here: http://www.pbfriders.com/?page_id=132

Thanks!
HBL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #83
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBL View Post
Okay, no such thing as a stupid question, right? Well, here goes

I am trying to convert .img files to .gpx files, to be used with a Garmin Montana. I have been told there are several methods to accomplish this using one or more freeware software programs, some good, some not so good, but no specific recommendations. I have also been told that the .img files cannot be read by Basecamp, to just load directly into the Montana, but I haven't had any success with this approach either

Can anyone provide a recommended approach

The two files I am trying to convert are located here: http://www.pbfriders.com/?page_id=132

Thanks!
You should be able to load the two IMG files onto your your Montana GPS and use (enable) them. Just copy the files into the \Garmin folder on your GPS or the same folder on the µSD card in your GPS.

I assume what you were trying to say is that you want to convert GPX files to IMG files for use on your Montana. I wrote this online article (a Google Document) for our local BMW motorcycle club to summarize the process. Let me know if you find this helpful.

And you are correct -- IMG files cannot be read by BaseCamp.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #84
HBL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Thank you for the suggestions

To clarify, I am a directionally impaired (180 degrees off, 100% of the time) father planning to introduce my two young sons to the sport at PBSF during the July 4th weekend. I can certainly save tracks and waypoints to find my way back to camp, but I am hoping to be able to have the trails available on my Montana so that I can track my position and follow the various forest roads to deliver a more expansive and entertaining trail ride over the course of a few days.

I moved the .img files from the top level folder to the \Garmin folder and now I can see the trails on the Montana so thank you!

For perspective, I was led to believe that the .img files are "old technology" and that I would be much better served by converting to .gpx files. Yet, you are suggesting a process for converting .gpx to .img files so I am a bit confused.

Considering the situation I have described above, am I better off traveling to PBSF with .img files or .gpx files? Again, I am simply looking to have the forest roads and current location visible on my Montana so that I can determine a path "on the fly".

Thanks again for your time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
You should be able to load the two IMG files onto your your Montana GPS and use (enable) them. Just copy the files into the \Garmin folder on your GPS or the same folder on the µSD card in your GPS.

I assume what you were trying to say is that you want to convert GPX files to IMG files for use on your Montana. I wrote this online article (a Google Document) for our local BMW motorcycle club to summarize the process. Let me know if you find this helpful.

And you are correct -- IMG files cannot be read by BaseCamp.
HBL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #85
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBL View Post
For perspective, I was led to believe that the .img files are "old technology" and that I would be much better served by converting to .gpx files. Yet, you are suggesting a process for converting .gpx to .img files so I am a bit confused.

Considering the situation I have described above, am I better off traveling to PBSF with .img files or .gpx files? Again, I am simply looking to have the forest roads and current location visible on my Montana so that I can determine a path "on the fly".
The "short" answer is that .img files are not old technology. Rather, .img files are the map data files that are used by Garmin's GPS units. (The corresponding map files on your desktop computer are .gmap files.)

If you are simply looking to have the forest roads and current location visible on your Montana so that you can determine a path "on the fly," you need the .img files in your Montana.

Your Montana uses (and creates) .gpx files as data files. Simplistically, .gpx files store your routes, tracks, and waypoints. There are ways to take .gpx files and transform them into map overlays showing route and track information. The portion of my prior answer referring to that conversion was beyond the scope of what you need to be concerned with.

When you have time, I recommend you consider reading and studying this online Wiki about the Montana GPS. It is the manual that should have come with the unit.

Good luck with your trip with your sons.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #86
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Here's a new tool for creating and manipulating GPX track files and creating roadbooks (and soon roll charts) for those track files.

Check out the videos below, and the website itself ( RallyNavigator.com ).

The tool runs in a web browser, with Google Earth running inside.

For a paper roadbook, notice that the mileages (or kilometers) are calculated automatically, the initial tulip drawing is generated automatically, and in some cases the text is generated automatically. Then you can go in and tweak the tulip and text to make them just the way you want. Amazing!

This would have been THE tool to have for creating something like TAT.

For roll charts, I expect they will adjust a few of the features since some things are different between roll charts and roadbooks, such as the compass headings which are normally not in a roll chart.

Videos showing some features:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PMiRictYtU
http://www.youtube.com/embed/6-ukczF5Fvg
http://www.youtube.com/embed/g0tjjog-pqY
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #87
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,244
Thanks Hog Wild, I placed the link in the resources post.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #88
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Oddometer: 278
BaseCamp maps

I apologize before hand if anyone has put this information out before. Sometimes these threads get so long it can be tedious to read each one before offering help.

I use BaseCamp on my Mac. I was having problems installing the newest maps into BaseCamp. I could install them into my Zumo and my Montana but not into the BaseCamp program. I wanted the latest City Navigator North America 2014.2 to be available in BaseCamp without having to have the Zumo or the Montana hooked up to the computer.

Garmin Tech help came to the rescue:

The 2014.20 map reinstall has been tested with both Garmin Map Updater. Please see the instructions below.

How do I download the maps to computer for use with BaseCamp and MapSource?
To download the Garmin Map Updater Run the link below for the computer you are using.
MAC
http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.dmg

Mac
Garmin Map Updater:
1. Double-click the Garmin Map Updater saved to the computer
2. Double-click the Garmin Map Update on the Desktop (A new Garmin Map Update window will open)
3. Double-click the Garmin Map Update.app
4. Click Open if prompted with a security warning
5. Click Continue in the Garmin Map Update
6. Click Continue after selecting the device to update
7. Click in the box next to "I agree to the terms of the device software license agreement."
8. Click Continue
9. Click the button next to "Reinstall my current maps with different installation options"
10. Click Continue
11. Click in the box next to "I agree to the terms of the map license agreement."
12. Click Advanced
13. Choose download to Mac only.
14. Follow prompts till update begins.
15. Click Done after the update completes

I hope this helps someone.
AMA #033031A Charter Life Member
lfs225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #89
lubelhu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thanks lfs225. I got mine working fine now.
lubelhu is offline   Reply With Quote