User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
Moff OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Costa Rica! on a DRZ400

Hello all! I just spent 7 days of amazing ridding in Costa Rica on a rental DRZ400.

(Day 1) San Jose appeared to be a bit dangerous at night, a bit dirty. Traffic was very dense, noisy and dangerous. The locals can drive erratically and accidents are common.

...but you find-out really fast that the city during the day is very different and very cool, full of typical charm and culture. After a few days we get use to and adjust to their way of driving. Outside San Jose a paradise for dual-sport riding is awaiting.

For a few days, I traveled with my family to get to Quepos with two vehicles: One small 4X4 SUV and me on a rental DRZ400. Once to destination I did solo day trips with my motorcycle during the rest of the week. This formula is nice when you want to combine motorcycle trip and family trip. We did it so many times during our family holidays. This is working great for us.

In San Jose, I got my DRZ-400 from Wild Rider. 65$ per day, a 2007 «s» model in very good shape. Here, a yellow vest is mandatory on a motorbike, trust me it is a good idea especially in the street of San Jose.

Riding towards San Ramòn, la Fortuna and the Arenal volcano. In altitude and in the jungle, the road is very steep and abrupt at moments. I had to stand on the bike with my knees in the tank especially in the curvy climbing sections. Fog and rain in the jungle is frequent even at this time of the year. I am glad that I have brought a small rain suit in my backpack.

(day 2) The fun started on dirt roads between Arenal and Tilaran. All in curves, in the mountains, no ramps, very tight with missing road sections at time. Pure candy! The small villages in the mountains are very charming and the people very friendly.

(Day 3) Towards Quepos/Manuel Antonio, surprise on the Rio Tàrcoles river, this is what you can see under the bridge. Some of these guys are more than 3 meters long. The police are permanently posted here in case some of those beasts would like to come too close.

(Day 4-5-6) At last in Quepos/Manuel Antonio at my hotel La Mariposa for a couple of days of zip-lining-beach and solo motorcycling. I meet my new friends. They came every afternoon asking for snacks. The zip-lining in the jungle is a must-do «thrill» here. Certain sections are more than half a kilometer long.

Short trips to Dominical. The small «Sodas» fast food, are everywhere. I took the opportunity to taste the local specialties «chicharones» bad for my cholesterol but very tasty.

(Day 6) Towards San Isidro near the Talamanca mountains, I followed the route towards Buenos Aires and Paso Réal near Panama border. This section is absolutely exquisite. The road is extraordinary. It is so beautifull that I forgot about my sunburns. It is like a super motard track from Dominical to San Isidro. Then, from Paso Réal to Puerto Cortés you go from pineapple plantations valleys near volcanos to twisty roads fallowing the Rio Colon river. Again here, you need to be «focused», all the time even-though the landscape is breathtaking, their is always something different awaiting in the next curve that might ruined the party.

(Day 7) I get my rental back to San José. Costa Rica was on my «to do» list. Pura vida!

Moff screwed with this post 01-22-2012 at 04:53 AM
Moff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
riderddonald
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
Looks like you had a great time. heading that way the end of the year. Can't wait.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Moff OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderddonald View Post
Looks like you had a great time. heading that way the end of the year. Can't wait.
You will have a great time! The road from Dominical to San Isidro to Buenos Aires and back to Quepos is a pure delight.

Moff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
fujian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Photos

You might need to update your ride report, cannot see your photos anymore.
fujian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
+1 what fujian above me said: No pics .
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote