Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
oink OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Need GPS - At the risk of flame

At the risk of being flamed I'll ask the standard dumb question. I have been reading some threads but it's a toss up as to whether I'm getting more knowledgeable or more confused. So here's my question:

I've been using my droid for gps but it failed me on my last trip when I got into areas of no cell coverage (mountains). So now I'm looking for a stand alone GPS, which I know poop about. I'm looking for a starter unit that doesn't have to last forever, one I can use for a year to decide what I want and need. However, for starters I would like something that will interface with a helmet. With my droid I've been using buds stuffed in my ears so I don't have to look at the screen, real important when blasting through cities I'm unfamiliar with. I plan to get a blue tooth system for my helmet very soon so I would like one that can interface with that. So it has to have audio and preferably blue tooth interface. A portable handheld would be cool but they don't seem to have audio. I looked at a garmin 78sc at West Marine. It seemed nice but no audio or interface, as far as I could tell. I'm thinking I'll have to just start with el'cheapo and sacrifice water proof and portability for now. So what is the best bang for a buck that will get me audio street navigation and with audio blue tooth interface with a helmet and ease of use for a noob? At least the capability of plugging in ear buds. AND it needs to work with gloves.

PS: Knowing the best places to buy would be cool too. The Best Buy store wasn't much help. At least the West Marine clerk tried to help.
Son #1's: 06 KLR650
Son #2's: 06 SV650S

oink screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 06:50 PM
oink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,297
I would recommend a motorcycle specific GPS for your needs. There are several out there. I have several Garmin Zumo 450 and Zumo 550 GPS's and really like them. They seem to be out of production now but can still be had. Both have a audio jack and if you have a Bluetooth helmet (what I use) the 550 is Bluetooth. Big buttons that can be used with gloves and waterproof. The only place I know of to find them now is Amazon of Fleabay.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Marc
Old 11-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 417
if you are ready to scrify waterproofable why not just stick to your droid and get software that will work off-line ???
webmonstro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 876
If you are OK with the droid mechanically, just load CoPilot GPS software. It loads the maps on the device and works out of cell range.
Cheapest option....
Old 11-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,870
Don't be afraid to pick up a good unit, what you think would be the ultimate. Wait and buy used, and if you still don't like it turn around and sell it. The end cost would be cheaper than buying a cheap unit and letting it sit on the shelf. A good unit holds its price and some even appreciate (276C/478)

Additionally like anything the different between the concept of a GPS and the usefulness of one is different.

Buying a cheap GPS to decide if you like it, is like buying a Briggs & Stratton mini bike to ride cross country, to help you decide if you like touring enough to buy a moto made for the job.

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
oink OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thanks for the responses.

#!) The $500+ models are currently out of my price range.

#2) The thought of buying used electronics, it seems to me, is closely related to the idea of shooting craps in Vegas. I don't do Vegas.

#3) I already know I like touring but I'd prefer to spend the $500 on a pair of blue tooth setups for our helmets (bash plate for strom & fork seals for C-10, etc.). I'm not poor but I'm not rolling in it either. At least not money. If I go full monte on it I'll have to wait another year for something and I plan more trips before then.

#5) I've tried 3 different apps for the phone and didn't find them adequate. The last seemed nice but the maps were pathetic (NavFree). I'll give that idea one more shot and try CoPilot. I'd gladly pay a modest fee for a good app and good maps for the phone if the app was good (good includes easy to operate).

#6) A water proof/resistant unit would be nice. However, using my tank bag I've managed to keep my phone dry or at least no worse than damp. Unfortunately, I've had some phone overheating issues using the bag.

#7) Will the Nuvi models, that have blue tooth, interface with the helmet blue tooths (teeth?)? If so, that seems like a more economical alternative as long as they aren't more susceptible to dampness that my phone. Any recommendations in that direction?

Again, thanks for the responses.

Edit to add PS:

The apps listed are:
CoPilot GPS - Plan & Explore
copilot
copilot live
copilot gps

Which one(s)?
Son #1's: 06 KLR650
Son #2's: 06 SV650S

oink screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 08:43 AM
oink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 876
The one I have on my phone is CoPilot Premium USA.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
jeepmudder
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Check out the Gaia GPS app. It cost a few pennies but gives you the option to download maps and save them on your device. I've used that mainly on my Galaxy s3 and nexus 7 in my jeep, but recently picked a KLR Jr to get into adv riding, I plan on using the s3 for those adventures.
jeepmudder is offline   Reply With Quote