User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #76
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Wicked

I'm home a day early now and no one is home so after a short nights sleep I unload, unpack, wash up and clean up. Soon I'm into that silly bike. I have to see for my own eyes if what the mechanic was feeding me was on the up & up.
I didn't get how an engine would suddenly quit running without any clues like low power or excessive blow by or exhaust smoke.

Once I get the cylinder off though its obvious that his diagnosis was somewhat correct; the rings are stuck tight to the piston and things are scarred up pretty bad.

So I guess I'll just wait for my new cylinder to arrive in the mail; oh but wait, what am I thinking; now would be a great time to gain a few horses with a big bore kit: That's all this little Yami needs is about 5 more horses to get me down the Hwy with a little more confidence. So I Guess I have a new project.

I research the mods and decide to go with the Thumper Racing 280 kit.
For a little extra value I opt for the FMF Power Bomb header and a reprogram on my FMF fuel programmer.

Time goes by and I get busy on other things but I eventually get back to this project and get it finished up.
Before finishing cosmetics I get the engine all back together and cross my fingers. Push the start button and this thing lights up and purrs like it should. Slightly quieter with the FMF header on it. To be honest I didn't expect it to fire off as easily as it did because I had myself convinced that there must be more to my engine failure that simply losing pressure. But it runs so lets ride.

The plastics were pretty roughed up after the last adventure so I opted for some white plastics with brand new custom graphics; and that fuel tank, well I needed another option;; something slightly slimmer. I wear knee braces and at times the width of this Safari was just a bit much, so I went with a Clark. Things are looking much better now.

And just for fun I had my six year old grandson's name highlighted onto my graphics.

Since these pictures I've replace the aftermarket headlight back to stock.
pozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #77
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So that's the end of my adventure to Moab via Death Valley and Grand Canyon. I managed to ride the White Rim Trail the following summer on my way to a Colorado ride. Just insert my user name into the search field and my posts will appear at the top of the list. From there you can see the White Rim for yourself

Iv'e only ridden the Yami a couple of times since then. It runs flawlessly but it just doesn't quite have the power to weight ratio I'm comfortable with. So after I purchased a Husaberg 390 which turns out to be my favorite ride so far, I decided to put the yami on the chopping block.

I do want to express my gratitude for the many positive comments regarding this report. It helps tremendously to motivate the author to move ahead and bring the story to it's conclusion.

Thanks again everyone, stay safe.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #78
TaZ9
Ultimate Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
So...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozer View Post
So that's the end of my adventure to Moab via Death Valley and Grand Canyon. I managed to ride the White Rim Trail the following summer on my way to a Colorado ride. Just insert my user name into the search field and my posts will appear at the top of the list. From there you can see the White Rim for yourself

Iv'e only ridden the Yami a couple of times since then. It runs flawlessly but it just doesn't quite have the power to weight ratio I'm comfortable with. So after I purchased a Husaberg 390 which turns out to be my favorite ride so far, I decided to put the yami on the chopping block.

I do want to express my gratitude for the many positive comments regarding this report. It helps tremendously to motivate the author to move ahead and bring the story to it's conclusion.

Thanks again everyone, stay safe.
So the mech was right about the problem...how many miles did you have on the WR when it died??

Just curious!
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #79
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Replies to comments:

Dingleweeds R3000 adv tarp; yep I got 2 of them. Really don't like a wet bike it the morning.

Tires in Moab?:
They were on my original parts list until I found out my repair turn around time was going to take me off schedule and I needed to truck my ride home. I could have made the whole trip on the tires I had.

The drain pipe storage was used to keep my Map books in.

Going to Death Valley from Truckee at Thanksgiving?
Well things have gotten very cold lately. But if that wasn't a factor I'd probably find my way over to Henness Pass Rd. above Downiville; head east into Nevada, south through Alabama Hills visit Bodie and keep south then east out of Bishop.

Lippincott Pass:
I don't recall any drama going up. just remember trying to stay focused on what's in front of me and resist the temptation to look down or over the side.

Body cramping:
You're probably right about body salts. I was a bit confused with it all cause I had just eaten lunch and drank about 2 liters of Gatorade. However I gotta tell ya, before the gas station in Stovepipe I ran out of liquids about half an hour prior to getting there. I didn't think I would need much for the drive from Scotty's Castle because I drank 2 liters there and I would only need at most; a couple hrs. to get to SP Wells. But once I arrived at SP Wells I couldn't get liquids in me fast enough. It was so strange; as I began drinking the Gatorade I could actually feel the strength my arms coming back.

Toroweep:
No too difficult to find on a map: just locate the town and look for a road that leads south toward the rivers edge. There is a ranger residence just a a few miles from the viewing area. Stop by and say hello and don't get too close to that ledge.... or watch out for suicidal sparrows.

Carrying water?:
I only carry 2 liters of sports drink in my bladder. No extra water. Always reload at all fuel stops. Ration when necessary.

Dusted engine?:
The mechanic at the shop visually saw dust in the intake port. He then used a scope to look at the cylinder through the spark plug hole.
I must say at the embarrassment of my profession that I was to blame for all my mechanical issues.
The Clutch failed because I didn't know that running kevlar discs with synthetic oil was a big no-no.
The Engine got dusted because I trusted No-Toil to do a better job than petroleum oil. I was also to blame for not using enough No-Toil filter oil on my filter..... Since then I have moved back to using 90 wt. oil.and now employ the use of filter skins which minimizes the hassle of filter cleaning on adventure rides.

Miles at death?:
My little yami only has about 3k on it.

pozer screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 04:04 PM
Old 11-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #80
TaZ9
Ultimate Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Question OK..never mind!

I saw the 3,000 miles at the end there..boy my eyes are getting bad!
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote