Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #31
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
And when they find out, that it is a used vehicle, which falls under the Dangerous Goods regulations category, your old quote goes out the window. Or do you mean nobody will notice, that it is a vehicle? I very much doubt that.
I wasn't clear enough - its logical that one's need to comply with all rules , also for example by avoiding crates in non-treated wood for Australia and Canada that require also a certificate of "not earth or vegetable contaminated goods" (thoroughly washed bike) .
What I mean was that one's need to approach the shipping agency/company as a professional that need to send goods abroad, not as a tourist that just want to have his preferite plaything overseas , in the second case you often will be charged three or four times more .

As always , better make also a balance between the cost of relying on a dedicated professional service (Knopf, motoexpress etc) and the time and hassle required. At my times we haven't the choice...
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #32
Roadpizza
n00b

Oddometer: 9
The Eagles suck.

The Eagles suck worse than any band to come out of the 70s. However, the best advice I can give you for a trip of this nature is to follow their advice. "Take it Easy". Don't rack up miles just for miles sake. Europe is deceptively large. Pick a smaller chunk and do that bit in better detail. Above all, and I can't stress this enough: RIDE SLOW. The whole idea behind going to Europe is to EXPERIENCE it. Not just see parts of it as a drive by. Get off the bike. Make friends with children. Try food you might never have even heard of. Leave the camera at home. If you worry about missing a perfect photo, you might miss a perfect memory. Are you getting the point? Bon chance, mon ami et bon courage.
Roadpizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:51 AM   #33
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadpizza View Post
The Eagles suck worse than any band to come out of the 70s. However, the best advice I can give you for a trip of this nature is to follow their advice. "Take it Easy". Don't rack up miles just for miles sake. Europe is deceptively large. Pick a smaller chunk and do that bit in better detail. Above all, and I can't stress this enough: RIDE SLOW. The whole idea behind going to Europe is to EXPERIENCE it. Not just see parts of it as a drive by. Get off the bike. Make friends with children. Try food you might never have even heard of. Leave the camera at home. If you worry about missing a perfect photo, you might miss a perfect memory. Are you getting the point? Bon chance, mon ami et bon courage.
Desperado was a great album, though...

But seriously: I agree, don´t try to see it all on one go, rather find some interesting areas, and concentrate more on them.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #34
TheNorthernMonkey
Clueless n00b

Oddometer: 253
If you're heading to scotland, give john o groats a wide bearth, and head to the brilliant roads of the isle of Skye instead.
TheNorthernMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #35
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
Used BMWs are cheap in Europe. Check Ebay. Buy an old one, ride it a few months, sell it for what you paid. Or give it away.

I met a couple from Australia, on the ferry from Ireland to Scotland. They were doing just this. Bought a K100RS in London off ebay.uk for about a thousand pounds, they wanted an old brick because it was cheap and reliable. They had ridden it through Ireland, going to Scotland, then over to Norway and eventually down to Athens. They had a plane ticket to go home in about three or four months, no real plans before that.

Planning on just leaving the bike at the airport, unless someone wanted it.

John O Groats is OK but the West coast is better. Skye is beautiful.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #36
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Any special reason you want to go to Stockholm? The road from Denmark to Stockholm is far from interesting. I would spend that time doing somthing more interesting
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #37
Tomy1971
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Are you at planing your trip? You wrote that you would like to have both "see Europe" and "great rides"

Let me start with the route:
I have never been to Portugal, so no tips for Portugal. Try to follow the Pyrenees from west to east. Carcassone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcassonne is very famous and from my point of view Barcelona http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcelona is a must. If you are in Spain and you like art Bilbao http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilbao and the Guggenheim Museum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guggenheim_Museum_Bilbao could be worth a visit. France first and foremost I love france! It is a great country. It gives you plenty of oportunities. If you want to follow the coast from my point of view St. Tropez http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_tropez is the nicest place but definetely not cheap. Generally spaking my impression from the french riviera was that it is more or less one big city and the costal road was extremely crowded. It is more fun to go some miles upcountry. If you want to see the alps maybe you could follow the Route des Grandes Alpes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_des_Grandes_Alpes and then ride through Switzerland, Austria, Italy (plenty of oportunities in all three countries) to Slovenia and Croatia. In Croatia I would suggest to follow the costal road to Dubrovnik http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubrovnik and visit at least one of the croatian national parks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_areas_of_Croatia. I have never been to Bulgaria, Romania and the Ukraine, so I skip these contries. Just one hint Serbia and the Ukraine are not part of the European Union, double check which documents are needed to enter these countries. Have you thought of going back westwards via Slovenia and the Czech Republic? The central parts of Poland are quite flat. Not much fun with the bike. Berlin is absolutely worth a visit! But then to be honest I would skip Sweden. Sweden is unbelivably expensive and would not be my first recomendation for a bike trip, but I have to admit the southern part of Sweden with its many lakes is quite picturesque too. As said, if money is a topic skip Sweden. If you would like to visit Skandinavia I would recommend Norway.
Well as said, skip Skandinavia and head from Berlin westwards through the german Mittelgebirge. Luxembourg is worth a visit and I like the Alsace. Stop not the Alsace. From Luxembourg through Belgium to the coast and to the UK. I am also not the great expert for the UK. And the last part back to Portugal is more or less given.
From my point of view there is one thing missing: Italy! Have you thought of visiting Tuskany? The area is marvelous.

How long does it take to see Europe? To be honest one life is not long enough. For the above mentioned I would guess 3 to 4 month. Round about 10.000 miles a daily average of 125 miles and 20 - 25 days on the road per month which gives you time to visit cities or other sights.

My recommendation would be to slow down. Do not stick to closely to a timetable or a plan and be open for what happens. Do not make miles because of the mileage but do as many other things as possible (hicking, museums, just talk with people etc.)

Regarding the costs, well as everything, it depends. For central europe i calculate with 120 EUR a day.
- 30 EUR for gasoline
- 40 EUR for the hotel
- 30 EUR for lunch, supper, coffee brakes
- 20 EUR for enty, toiletries and other stuff (motor oil, chain oil...)
But as said it depends

If you have further questions regarding Austria, Germany, Italy or Switzerland, just ask.
Tomy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #38
young1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Silly question time... What website did you use to put that map together?

Kiwi Mike
young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #39
Tomy1971
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Are you at planing your trip? You wrote that you would like to have both "see Europe" and "great rides"

Let me start with the route:
Portugal:
I have never been to Portugal, so no tips for Portugal.
Spain:
Try to follow the Pyrenees from west to east. Carcassone (I know it its in France) is very famous and from my point of view Barcelona is a must. If you are in Spain and you like art Bilbao and the Guggenheim Museum could be worth a visit.
France:
First and foremost I love france! It is a great country. It gives you plenty of oportunities. If you want to follow the coast from my point of view St. Tropez is the nicest place but definetely not cheap. Generally spaking my impression from the french riviera was that it was more or less one big city and the costal road was extremely crowded. It is more fun to go some miles upcountry. If you want to see the alps maybe you could follow the Route des Grandes Alpes and then ride through Switzerland, Austria, Italy to Slovenia and Croatia.
Switzerland, Austria, Italy:
There are plenty of oportunities in all three countries and to many possible routes.
Slovenia and Croatia.
Slovenia:
Small but nice. Surprisingly expensive
Croatia:
In Croatia I would suggest to follow the costal road to Dubrovnik and visit at least one of the croatian national parks.
Serbia, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine
I have never been to Bulgaria, Romania and the Ukraine, so I skip these contries. Just one hint Serbia and the Ukraine are not part of the European Union, double check which documents are needed to enter these countries.
And the rest:
Have you thought of going back westwards via Slovenia and the Czech Republic? The central parts of Poland are quite flat. Not much fun with the bike. Berlin is absolutely worth a visit! But then to be honest I would skip Sweden. Sweden is unbelivably expensive and would not be my first recomendation for a bike trip, but I have to admit the southern part of Sweden with its many lakes is quite picturesque too. As said, if money is a topic skip Sweden. If you would like to visit Skandinavia I would recommend the southern parts of Norway (but mind that Norway is even more expensive than Sweden).
Well as said, skip Skandinavia and head from Berlin westwards through the german Mittelgebirge. Luxembourg is worth a visit and I like the Alsace. Stop not the Alsace. From Luxembourg through Belgium to the coast and to the UK. I am also not the great expert for the UK. And the last part back to Portugal is more or less given.
From my point of view there is one thing missing: Italy! Have you thought of visiting Tuskany? The area is marvelous.

Time
How long does it take to see Europe? To be honest one life is not long enough. For the above mentioned I would guess 3 to 4 month. Round about 10.000 miles a daily average of 125 miles and 20 - 25 days on the road per month which gives you time to visit cities or other sights.

My recommendation would be to slow down. Do not stick to closely to a timetable or a plan and be open for what happens. Do not make miles because of the mileage but do as many other things as possible (hiking, museums, just talk to people etc.)

Money
Regarding the costs, well as everything, it depends. For central europe i calculate with 120 EUR a day.
- 30 EUR for gasoline
- 40 EUR for the hotel
- 30 EUR for lunch, supper, coffee brakes
- 20 EUR for enty, toiletries and other stuff (motor oil, chain oil, tyres...)

Eastern Europe should be cheaper but Switzerland and Skandinavia are more expensive so I would calculate with 120 EUR a day.
But as said it depends. Spending 200 EUR a day is for sure no problem on the oposite side, if you find your accommodation via coutchsurfing or you try to sleep at the club houses of motorcycle clubs or in a tent you may be able to make it with 60 or 70 EUR a day but then organisation will be a nightmare.

If you have further questions regarding Austria, Germany, Italy or Switzerland, just ask.

Tomy1971 screwed with this post 10-20-2013 at 01:36 AM
Tomy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:20 AM   #40
nameless
100% recyclable

Oddometer: 127
Thumb

Hi,

about the time you'll need to do that trip, as others have said, it really depends of what you plan on seeing from each country. If you want to get some knowledge of each country then i really see it taking 2 months easily.

I have read about other Advrider doing an european trip and spending an average of 50 Eur per day, of course that traveling slowly will save you money :)

Starting Portugal you really would have to spend at least a day visiting Lisbon and not missing Sintra ( Palácio da Pena, Quinta da Regaleira), and then Porto and the Douro valley is also a must see :)

I can get you a place to sleep if you pass through Coimbra, a city that is about half way between Lisbon and Porto (although the distance between those two cities is very small and very doable in 3 hours using HW, but with tolls, or about in 4 using other roads)

you could get a bike here in Portugal, but i don't know it that works for a foreigner... ( for instance, this type of bike have a good reputation and can be found at a good price and usually are reliable and cheap to maintain, http://loures-loures.olx.pt/xt600-iid-437018376 ).

Any other info about Portugal let me know, i'll try to help.

....or, you could do it in parts ...you could easily spend a month in Portugal, Spain and Morocco for instance, then come back the next year and spend a month in France, Belgium, Switzerland... you get the point :)

well, i've written enough

'13 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Keep Calm
and
Carry On
nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:55 AM   #41
dragonseeker
dragonseeker

Oddometer: 14
13,504 Euro

Looks a little similar to my plan for Summer 2014. Start March 25th end June 24th. Budget is 20,000 AUD (13,504 Euros)
Have purchased wheels from Wheatwhacker in Ireland and return ticket from Thailand. Yet to sort out Tent and GPS.
Hope to avoid all cities and combine some classic rides with tourist sites.
My tour does not enter Portugal and goes down Adriatic coast to Greece then via Romania and the Czech republic to Berlin, into Sweden.
dragonseeker is offline   Reply With Quote