Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #31
RockyDS
Wizened adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Thanks for the report! Great pics and narrative. Glad you and your pooch are relatively ok.
X2. Great read.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #32
judomaniak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
awesome story,to bad about the wreck.thankfully u and your pooch are ok. hopefully things go ok with the insurance company and that this does not keep u from riding,from the pictures looks like u and your dog have fun together.take care and get better
Old 08-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #33
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,666
I was really enjoying your report....I was totally enthralled, and had forgotten the "FAIL" part of your title.

Glad you and Kirby came thru relatively unscathed...bikes and other stuff can always be replaced.
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #34
patta
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Hey Kirbs! So glad you're ok and make sure that your driver takes plenty of rest after this tumble. But really Ned, so glad you both walked away from this. It's frigtening enough just reading about it!

The trip looked great and the photos stunning too - places we'll have to visit when we get back over there.

Debz says you're so right about Kirby being a real lady killer, she definitely fell for his charms!

Hope you mend well and hope to catch up soon.

Iain + Debz

p.s. are those new colour co-ordinated doggles that Kirby was sporting?

bmw r100gspd with eth sidecar
ktm 950s adv
ktm 640 adv
patta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #35
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by patta View Post
Hey Kirbs! So glad you're ok and make sure that your driver takes plenty of rest after this tumble. But really Ned, so glad you both walked away from this. It's frigtening enough just reading about it!

The trip looked great and the photos stunning too - places we'll have to visit when we get back over there.

Debz says you're so right about Kirby being a real lady killer, she definitely fell for his charms!

Hope you mend well and hope to catch up soon.

Iain + Debz

p.s. are those new colour co-ordinated doggles that Kirby was sporting?
Hey, Iain! Yup, brand new red doggles just for this trip! Did you see Post #14 above? Debz picture of me and Kirbs got published!

Fellow inmates--Iain & Debz circumnavigated the globe on their BMW R100 sidecar rig that Iain built himself. My little attempts at adventure pale in comparison!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #36
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Wow. Ouch. Glad everyone is kinda OK.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #37
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 502
Too close too home

I read your story with great interest. Good reading and pictures.

I have seen your rig in and around the Seattle (Puget Sound) area a time or two, and also on some side car site (Enumclaw? I can't recall). I always wondered who you were. Looked at some of your other travels. Awesome that you can travel with a pooch like that. That is a nice setup as well.

Your story hit close too home, as my son and I were up in the Yukon this summer on a grand "Father-Son" advneture and he crashed his bike due to nothing under his control, thus ending his trip (and didn;t do much for my morale either as I had to ride home solo ... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898115). It can be a real bummer for sure. I am glad to see you and the pooch are alright. I hope to see you around sometime (either here or in the PacNorthWet in person). Hopefully you can get that awesome sidecar rig repaired and back to tip top shape. It's a beauty for sure.
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #38
DRONE OP
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,555
Final Epilogue

The insurance company totaled the bike. They paid me $7500 for the bike, $6300 for damaged gear and accessories, and $3200 to get the sidecar repaired and repainted. In other words--$17,000--and they took the wrecked bike as salvage but I got to keep the wrecked sidecar to repair or not repair as I wish.

Physically, me and Kirby are fine though my leg will remain somewhat mangled-looking for the rest of my life. I'm planning on using the wrecked sidecar on a temporary basis with an inexpensive bike just so I'll have something to tool around on. Then I'll use the rest of the insurance money to put together a new rig that will be even better than WUMPA!

Serious near-death experiences do make you re-consider some of your life choices and I really thought for a while there that I might give up bikes completely. But . . . they really are fun, aren't they? And what would Kirby do for adventure if he couldn't do riding with me? So hopefully next summer we will be back up in the backcountry on three wheels.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #39
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,081
Glad to hear it has all (mostly) worked out!!

Now, quit screwin' around and get your next rig built and RR posted.....
Old 11-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #40
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
The insurance company totaled the bike. They paid me $7500 for the bike, $6300 for damaged gear and accessories, and $3200 to get the sidecar repaired and repainted. In other words--$17,000--and they took the wrecked bike as salvage but I got to keep the wrecked sidecar to repair or not repair as I wish.

Physically, me and Kirby are fine though my leg will remain somewhat mangled-looking for the rest of my life. I'm planning on using the wrecked sidecar on a temporary basis with an inexpensive bike just so I'll have something to tool around on. Then I'll use the rest of the insurance money to put together a new rig that will be even better than WUMPA!

Serious near-death experiences do make you re-consider some of your life choices and I really thought for a while there that I might give up bikes completely. But . . . they really are fun, aren't they? And what would Kirby do for adventure if he couldn't do riding with me? So hopefully next summer we will be back up in the backcountry on three wheels.
You have the right spirit,quitting is not a great option,building a stronger rig is.
Ive had a couple near career enders and Ive felt luckier with each one.
Im still here arent I? Many arent.

Ive had an old dog following me every where he can for the last 14 years,its a strong connection.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #41
d_mob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:

Screw the Dos Equis guy, you and Kirbs have my vote for most interesting 'men'... :)

Keep the rubber side down and I look forward to reading another of your crazy and inspiring ride reports soon.

~ D
d_mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #42
mudmonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Great report mate,good to hear everything's ok with you and mans best friend.you know what they say ya gotta get back on that horse !
mudmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #43
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,838
Awesome ride, report and pics... and things were going so well.. Glad you and mr. K weren't seriously hurt. Thanks for sharing your ride
Old 11-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #44
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Many more miles left to travel

I too am looking forward to reading stories of the building a stronger machine and more adventures with you and Kirby.
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #45
Flying Tivo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Get yourself the new Wethead with that money and fix up the sidecar. Then you will be the first WETHACK!!

Glad you are OK.

I usually try to make a rule of thumb when i look at skid marks, to look at the side of the road and make sure there is no wreck. Glad you were not pinned down, you would not have been noticed for a while.

Felipe