ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #1
bacon palace OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Augusta Ga to Morehead City NC

Heading back north on my first ride. On the TET and planning to stop in Augusta to pick up a gazetteer for South Carolina, I'm not sure if I'll try riding a route closer to the coast or thru the middle of South Carolina. Any ideas or local knowledge would certainly help. I have no time restraints and looking to end the ride with more dirt than pavement. Also if anyone would like to ride a day or two the company would be great. Thanks for any help or ideas
bacon palace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

Oddometer: 1,193
If you decide to do the middle part of SC, take a look at my tracks in the "SC Dirt" link in my sig line (see GPX file in post #13). One idea would be to use some of them to get over to the SC Midlands, then swing up thru the Sandhills State Forest (SW of Cheraw), then over to the Jones Lake State Park area (E of Lumberton, NC). I really enjoy the roads in and around Manchester State Forest in SC too, for a bit more Southerly route. Inmate IT400 and others in the Fayetteville thread could probably help you with the Lumberton to Jackson area of NC. Have fun!
Old 11-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

Oddometer: 1,193
With no time restraints, going on up thru North GA and WNC would of course include fantastic terrain but you'd have more risk of snow and ice. The SC Midlands and Piedmont have nice rolling hills, some twisty dirt and pavement, with some vestiges of fall color remaining this time of year. If you're into straighter roads, Spanish moss, marshes, etc., then take a coastal route. It's been a little dry in SC over the last month so there shouldn't be much mud.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
Tukata
ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer: 1,444
Everytime I see Morehead City, all I think about is the Sanitary and some shrimp.... hmm
Tukata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
bacon palace OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks for the info. I've decided to get onto the Savannah TAT loop when the rain stops then taking a coastal route north. Thanks again
bacon palace is offline   Reply With Quote