ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #9676
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by singletracksean View Post
That's good to know. I went to Crow Canyon a couple winters ago thinking the trails would be packed down and there was no trace of anyone riding there. I had never been there before and I hear they are closed to the public now?

I've been thinking about checking out Mines and Meadows. Maybe I'll make it there at some point in the near future.
Yes, Crow Canyon is now private club land. MGorman is a member, if you need any more info.

Hit me up (via PM or in this thread) if you ever want to ride Mines and Meadows. There is some nice single track there, but it can be hard to follow because it's not marked real well. I can show you around.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #9677
singletracksean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
I would love to ride Mines and Meadows some time so thanks for the offer. I will let you know if I find the time to get up there.

Sean
Old 11-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #9678
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,026
Quote:

Does anyone know of winter off road riding in the area?

I seen quite a few marks where people drove off-road this evening but luckily I kept the 640 between the ditches. I didn't even need my heated jacket, the adrenalin kept me warm, especially on the steep downhills

The is Bear Creek on the south side of Canton, very small, usually over run by quads.

Lightning is in Stillwater SE of Crow Canyon, self pay and ride.

Quote:
That's good to know. I went to Crow Canyon a couple winters ago thinking the trails would be packed down and there was no trace of anyone riding there. I had never been there before and I hear they are closed to the public now?

As Mark said, yes. When the shop moved to a bigger building there wasn't anyone to man the gate so the decision was to privatize. At the moment, the membership is full but after the 1st of the month, those who do not renew will have their memberships turned over.

Because there are very few quads there anymore, the trails in the winter will probably never get packed in.

If you ever want to ride, I will gladly meet you there and sign you in if I have time. Non-members riding with a member is $20 a day. A few folks on here have taken me up on the offer. I will not sign a person in then leave since I am responsible for anything stupid people tend to do.

Thinking about the possibility of a campout/ride there next spring and there were talks of a DS club but the person who was leading the effort decided not to follow up on it. Chances are I may see what I can do with it.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #9679
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

BTW, AES has a half dozen GMax GM11s dual sport/winter helmets on sale. These have the removable cold weather chin and nose curtains to help keep you from fogging up the double pane face shield.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #9680
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Mop and a bucket to isle 3.....

http://blog.ktm.com/serial-winner-ktm-450-rally/

Old 11-27-2013, 07:30 AM   #9681
singletracksean
Gnarly Adventurer

Good information and I hope to get out ride more and take you guys up on the offers. Love the 450 rally bike!

Any suggestions for suspension work on a 450EXC?

Thanks, Sean
Old 11-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #9682
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Quote:
Good information and I hope to get out ride more and take you guys up on the offers. Love the 450 rally bike!

Any suggestions for suspension work on a 450EXC?

Thanks, Sean
What kind of work? Rebuild? Revalve? If you haven't done it yet, you need to get the correct springs for your weight and adjust the preload/sag.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #9683
singletracksean
Gnarly Adventurer

I have not set sag yet and at 198lbs without gear I believe I will be needing springs. While in there I may or may not go for a re-valve.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #9684
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Quote:
I have not set sag yet and at 198lbs without gear I believe I will be needing springs. While in there I may or may not go for a re-valve.
Yes, you need stiffer springs for sure. I'm the same weight as you. You need .46kg/mm springs for the forks. The shock spring depends on the model year. The mounting points for the shock changed a few times over the years, and the newer ones can use a lighter spring compared to earlier years, because the design is more progressive.

FWIW, a revalve will be a waste of money unless you are either an AA level rider, or if you are trying to ride MX tracks. Swapping the springs is a DIY type of job.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #9685
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
Yes, you need stiffer springs for sure. I'm the same weight as you. You need .46kg/mm springs for the forks. The shock spring depends on the model year. The mounting points for the shock changed a few times over the years, and the newer ones can use a lighter spring compared to earlier years, because the design is more progressive.

FWIW, a revalve will be a waste of money unless you are either an AA level rider, or if you are trying to ride MX tracks. Swapping the springs is a DIY type of job.
OhioPT is dead on. Valving is a waste until you get the springs corrects, and it's easy to do. You may be surprised how much better it is with just the right springs.

muddyrabbit screwed with this post 11-27-2013 at 11:48 AM
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #9686
singletracksean
Gnarly Adventurer

That's a good point about the springs. I've done fork seals once before on a 640 so dropping springs in should be easy. The bike is a 2009. Do the manuals recommend springs for different weights or should I just call a shop.

Thanks, Sean
Old 11-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #9687
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Quote:
That's a good point about the springs. I've done fork seals once before on a 640 so dropping springs in should be easy. The bike is a 2009. Do the manuals recommend springs for different weights or should I just call a shop.

Thanks, Sean
Check the owner's manual for what spring rates you have, but I believe the forks are 4.4 NM/kg (~= to .45kg/mm), and the shock is 72 NM/kg. You might be fine with the stock fork springs, but you probably need a 7.8 to 8.0 kg/mm rear spring.

OhioPT screwed with this post 11-27-2013 at 04:33 PM
Old 11-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #9688
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,674
Racetech also has a spring calculator on their website. very handy.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #9689
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

BMoto54 has a 450 also, a nice plush fast bike.

If you had bought a SX, a revalve may help in root and rock compliance. The newer XC models are more motocross than the older XC line (pre 2012 2t and 2011 4t) and they are dampened for the big hit like landing from 2 stories high. My 350 XC-F sucks in the back woods but when I over jump a double that baby is PLUSH, roll 10 feet, hit a root and the thing barely moves. If I keep it, I am revalving for the woods. If you must re-vale, stay away from the motocross companies and go to Enduro Engineering or WER (works enduro racer). WER did my XR, the best suspension I ever rode, I want my 350 to ride that nice!

My 08 XCF-W was pretty sweet in the woods, I left it stock except the rear spring. I've yet to replace a front KTM spring on a <500cc KTM but had to get the next stiffer rear spring. I weigh 200 and my last 3 KTM's required the next bigger rear spring for me. I may have that spring in my garage. I also have a spring from the earlier model linkage bike but can't remember the rate. As long as the diameter and length work...

Old 11-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #9690
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Yeah, I agree that I'd have to get a revalve if I was going to ride a newer 4-stroke KTM XC in the woods. They are freakin' harsh. The EXCs/XC-W's are valved fine though for woods riding. They just need the correct springs to keep the suspension up in the stroke, prevent excessive fore-aft pitch, and help the bike turn like it's supposed to. If you want plush in the woods, just start with the stiffer shock spring. You need a 7.6 or 8.0 straight rate. Start with 7-8mm preload. No special tools are necessary to change the spring. It's very easy.