Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #31
dilandau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
you can end up doing a bunch of "upgrades" and spending lots of dosh- then something completely different will go south that renders all the upgrades useless until you spend more $. If its working just ride it, and spend the money when you need it.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #32
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Looks like the naysayers haven't found this thread yet

The only thing I think you really need to check when you get it is the driveshaft. It's easy to check, just put the bike on the center stand and put the transmission in neutral. Slowly rotate the rear wheel. It should be very smooth and not notchy or clunky. That's it. If it's smooth, just ride it and check the driveline every once in a while. The rest is a fix as needed basis but changing the fluids is a great bonding oppertunity so do that unless you know for sure they were done recently.

Enjoy the bike.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #33
dm635
Let's Roll

Oddometer: 362
I myself could have easily dropped a grand or more depending on how far I wanted to go. My bike will always be a rider, no garage queen here and that goes for cars as well. Volvo's & Bimmers.. My bike has cleaned up well, but came with plenty of scratch's and patina. That's how it goes keeping it original. Son thinks I should definitely get rid of the Brown finish. Is it his, NO. If I change it it will be all new panels and tank a different color hanging onto what it came with. I really like smoke Red. And as my son says about the Brown, I'm not that crazy about the it, but IT IS original as it came and I'm fine with it. It's 33 years old and what's not to love once fired up working the throttle going through the gears. Hop on and ride. Color has nothing to do with enjoyment and enjoy it I do.

I did upgrade forks to dual calipers. Hanging on the old ATE and loving the Brembos. Got an airhead riding bud and my neighbor has purchased an RT. Lets ride my friends.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #34
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Josh View Post
I don't think that's unique to BMW riders!
Not so much unique, but more that for some reason there was quite the early adoption of the Internet by BMW airhead riders.

squish screwed with this post 12-12-2013 at 09:37 PM
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #35
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,543
Final drive question...

When someone puts "final drive rebuilt" in their ad with regards to selling a GSPD, what would you presume or expect to have been done...

Obviously I'm going to do the basic, does it all rotate smooth as silk, test but I'd just like to have a bit more knowledge at the time of delivery and final payment as to what real expectations should be. I'm spending a good chunk of change on the bike. Getting excited, picking it up middle of next week!
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #36
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk View Post
When someone puts "final drive rebuilt" in their ad with regards to selling a GSPD, what would you presume or expect to have been done...

Obviously I'm going to do the basic, does it all rotate smooth as silk, test but I'd just like to have a bit more knowledge at the time of delivery and final payment as to what real expectations should be. I'm spending a good chunk of change on the bike. Getting excited, picking it up middle of next week!
Generally it means that the old U joints on each end of the shaft have been taken apart new bearings and circlips added so you can replace them, often zerk fittings are put in the joint can be greased.

Stock BMW shafts were not rebuildable
Old 11-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #37
mesher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
'Rebuilt' is one of those words which has become largely meaningless, thanks to overuse by advertisers and people with no mechanical knowledge. It can mean anything from 'checked' to 'serviced' to 'disassembled and inspected for wear' to 'all worn parts, seals and gaskets replaced'.

I would think that appropriately dated paperwork (receipts for parts and labor) would be the only way to know that it means the latter.
mesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #38
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
I think it refers to the gearcase that the rear wheel mounts to.
Could be anything from new bearings and reshimming to simply changing a seal. Important question is what qualifications the rebuilder had - i.e. what's the quality of the work?
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #39
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Thanks for your answers, guys. I get a really good vibe from the seller that he's taken very good care of the bike during his short-lived ownership but there have been other owners... I think, unfortunately, the paperwork trail is pretty limited so I'm just going to have to finalize this purchase without actual proof of past care. Such as life...

As I mentioned in the first post of this thread, I'm a pretty mechanically inclined person. I have a pretty good understanding as to the basics of what would need to be checked out during a motorcycle purchase. If you could enlighten me to any GSPD specifics that would be good to go over, other than the previously mentioned final drive inspection, I'd greatly appreciate the info.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #40
akabeton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Gspd

I bought a 1995 GSPD a couple of years ago with 15,000 miles on.the clock, it now has 33,000 miles.

During that period I have:

Replaced the tyres.
Replaced the battery.
Replaced the rotor ( alternator )
Replaced the starter

Not very expensive items, and with the hand holding provided on here relatively easy fixes.

I do check the drive on a regular basis as described earlier.

Other than that I ride it and enjoy it immensely, I am sure you will do the same.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #41
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

The weather finally broke so I got a day off yesterday to go pick up the bike. Roads are icy around here so I had to bring it home in my truck... Its a beautiful bike that still looks almost new for its age. I love it and can't wait till my road dries out enough to ride it a bit. Looking forward to a few days in a row of above freezing temps.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #42
TINK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Quote:

The weather finally broke so I got a day off yesterday to go pick up the bike. Roads are icy around here so I had to bring it home in my truck... Its a beautiful bike that still looks almost new for its age. I love it and can't wait till my road dries out enough to ride it a bit. Looking forward to a few days in a row of above freezing temps.
Pictures?
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:13 AM   #43
CptImagine
NCC-1701-B

Oddometer: 130
Gs/PDs 20+ years old low miles ?????????

Why are all these GS/PDs appearing on the market with 7, 10, 15,000 miles ? Could it be that in the day, when the "colorblind guru was compiling his free online data base." The owners of them were not interested in dealing with BMW for a possible warranty c-clip driveshaft job . Or worse, have them BMW, not cover it . Then GS/PDs didn't sell in the numbers RT/RSs did . Then we used to say "look there goes one of those GDPSs.... Now I have one, bought 12 years ago with under 20k . The dentist and I moved his Corvette and 2 oil heads to get to the GS in the corner . I did the c-clip, driveshaft and all the swingarm bearings . 2 years and 50,000 miles later another driveshaft was installed . A driveshaft for a mono is $100, I bought 3 to lengthn one . Cripes 2 came with the freeking swingarm, for $100 !! A driveshaft for an R1100 $100. $100 will get you a rebuildable core for our 1st gen paralever . Every new owner has to decide what they will do with them, given this widely accepted knowledge . These things are like Ford 9N tractors, they take a lil maintainance to keep going . Ride the wheels off it and enjoy, I question everyone I encounter on a GS/PD, probabbly 40-50 thus far . Over half are blissfully unaware of the status of the shaft and c-clip, many get sorta indignant . Most are recent owners, with low mile bikes . The other half have some real interesting stories . Not trying to freak of bum anyone out . Just look at the deal from this perspective and decide for yourself .
CptImagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #44
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINK View Post
Pictures?

neepuk screwed with this post 12-12-2013 at 06:16 PM
Old 12-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #45
akabeton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Nice

Looks like a keeper.

Get to know her through the winter and she will be raring to go come springtime :