Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2005, 08:15 PM   #16
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,710
I felt that the problem was not the fan, but that it kicked in so late. Couldn't change that easily (thermoswitch is non adjustable). So I just put a manual switch on the thing. Hit the switch when I get into the tight stuff, and it stays cool the whole time. Cost me 2 bucks for the toggle switch.

No more heating problems.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:41 PM   #17
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,328
Nice write up.

I did the exact same mod a few months back. I even think I puzzled over where to put the condensor just like you and ended up in the same spot. I do recall fiddling with the bracket and orientation to find the right spot where it wouldn't foul the tank.

BTW, in looking at the wiring diagram it appears to me that the condensor is basically just wired across the battery, so I expect you could put it almost anywhere on the bike. I wonder why they don't put it back in the tail with the rest of the electrics.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 10:20 PM   #18
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,162
I asked Jerome to post a pic when he gets a chance. He has a second fan and shroud on his bike. From recollection, I believe he mounted the shroud upside down and had to hack on it a bit - but that was long ago. He says it fit somehow... hope he has time somewhere to give us the info.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:29 PM   #19
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRobinson
I just took the tank off of my '03 KTM 640 ADV and began working on this project (I bought the secondary cooling fan from Munn Racing). I can't see as how this is possible on an '03, the metal bracket holding the decompression cable extends at least 1/2" into the space that the secondary cooling fan would occupy. If I use a dremel tool to remove material from the cooling fan housing itself I'd also have to remove material from the fan blades. Is this what others have had to do to accomodate this modification on their bike?
I didn't use the shoud (for that very reason). I just fabbed up some brackets and mounted just the fan w/no shroud.

I know one guy who simply cut-off the manual decomp support. Said he never used it anyway....

I think I've only used my manual decomp once or twice. Nice to have, but I'm sure I could live without it.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:39 AM   #20
WageSlave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
bump

Current ride - '09 DR-Z400SM (Adventurized)
WageSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:36 AM   #21
Jerome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Ok, I've finally remebered to take photos of the second fan.

It may take a while for the photos to appear.

It was installed by Swampy who is Mr Adventure in the UK, ex Ktm, ex Dakar etc.

- There is not enough space to fit the second fan without changing the shape of the tank.

- It must be heated slightly to make space for the fan housing.

- Apparently this is not possible with the standard nylon tank. I have the lighter plastic one.

- I am on my third top radiator hose as the tank slowly rubs through it. But that's ok because i know its happening.

- I also have a manual overide switch on the dashboard for when the thermostat doesn't work :)

- For hotter countries fit the cooler thermostat. I now wish I had.

www.fowb.co.uk

Jerome screwed with this post 09-12-2005 at 07:41 AM
Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:42 AM   #22
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Just came across this thread... I've been away for a while. Thanks for the great writeup, Count and everyone else for the further suggestions. I plan on doing this soon... well, at least before next Summer ; )

Count, I was just in Bucharest for about 8 days, working on a project. I wish I could have met up with ya for an Ursus. Ah well, next time.

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 04:25 PM   #23
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,609
Strange

Iv'e had my 05' running in extreme heat & have never even had the fan go on, on the flip side, iv'e run my 950 in less extreme temps & have had the fan go on while sitting at a stop light.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:36 PM   #24
meat popsicle
Ignostic

I wish somebody could test at what OIL temps the IMO reaches 3 bars (supposedly "operating temps"), then at what OIL temp the fan comes on, and at what OIL temps the IMO scale tops out.

Of course, someone has found the IMO to be unreliable. Hopefully the thermostat and the fan trigger isn't.

I could give a rats ass about the water temps in case you know those...

Old 09-25-2005, 08:19 AM   #25
Jerome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
oops, slight tchnical hitch (photos are easier to see when uploaded)

Fan pics now visible in my earlier post :)

www.fowb.co.uk
Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:20 AM   #26
CountPacMan OP
KTM 640 Adventure abuser

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome
It was installed by Swampy who is Mr Adventure in the UK, ex Ktm, ex Dakar etc.

- There is not enough space to fit the second fan without changing the shape of the tank.

- It must be heated slightly to make space for the fan housing.

- Apparently this is not possible with the standard nylon tank. I have the lighter plastic one.
Hi Jerome! Judging by the pics, it looks like Swampy likes to do thing the hard way. On mounting the fan to the rad, he used the top two brackets, whereas I used the bottom two. I also used the small original left side fan that came with my 2000 model year bike which made things easier, but when I was looking at the situation with having the new and big fan mounted on the right side, I never considered moving the fan so high up. I would have just cut into the fan shroud to make room for the decomp setup and mounted the fan low, just like the left hand side one, thus avoiding any complications with tank and hose clearance.

spake Rad, "The KTM will reward you like a very expensive mistress where the BMW will reward you like a, like a... like a wife "
CountPacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:53 AM   #27
gozell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Thumb

thanks for the excellent pics, this is what i came up with;

the condensator was initially mounted somewhere else, but i reckon this is a better setup. thanks! one thing i noticed is because the right side fan is mounted slightly higher it doenst blow the air through the tank gaps as nicely as the left one....

next to the touratech imo there is a switch with a indicator led for the manual override. the hole next to the led will be the 'high temp indicator', just the bare essentials!

(lets hope for auto-resize.....)

and yeah those throttle cables go straight onto a .... fcr 39 !!!!!

The latest: Amsterdam to Japan / Australia / Indonesie 2007 - 20??

http://picasaweb.google.com/mbaars99

gozell screwed with this post 10-03-2005 at 11:52 AM
gozell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:31 PM   #28
WageSlave
Gnarly Adventurer

I Did It!!

No cutting of the fan housing or fan cap, no interference with the decompression cable, no heat gun to melt the tank to get it to fit around the new fan! If anyone is interested in installing a second fan on their '03 KTM 640 ADV I'd recommend the following change to the necessary parts list.

Instead of ordering part #58435044000 (FAN CAP LC4 2000) from the 640 LC4 Adventure microfiche, order part #59035044000 (FAN CAP 450-525 EXC,MXC,SX) from the "Cooling System 250/450/525 Racing" microfiche. Edited image from microfiche is below (showing part numbers).

My setup consisted of the following parts from Munn Racing:
Item #: 58435041000
FAN CPL. 12V LC4 2000
Quantity: 1
Cost Each: $83.18

Item #: 59035044000
FAN CAP
Cost Each: $4.14

Item #: 58312085100
EDGE PROTECTOR PER METER
Cost Each: $7.33

Item #: 58435044050
FAN FLAP RUBBER LC4 2000
Cost Each: $3.38

Item #: 0081500181
SCREW FOR PLASTIC D=5X18
Quantity: 4
Cost Each: $0.78

Total for this setup: $89.09 plus tax (if you are in Texas) from Munn Racing (with the 15% discount for KTMTalk.com members).

The Fan Cap (part #59035044000) is shorter than the 640 LC4 Adventure version (part #58435044000), and the fan interface is offset closer to the outside edge of the radiator. See image comparison below from the microfiche:

Actual height comparison:

Actual width comparison:

The fan cap will mount at the lowest edge of the radiator, I had to drill two holes that lined up with the metal brackets on the outer edge of the radiator. The fan cap overlaps the edge so that those two metal brackets are on the inside of the fan cap. To mount this to the brackets I used two #10 sheetmetal bolts and screws.

With the sheetmetal bolts attached to the metal radiator brackets I positioned the fan cap such that the holes I'd drilled aligned with the holes in the sheetmetal bolts. I used a single compression washer as a spacer between the edge of the fan cap and the sheetmetal bolt at the lowest attachment. This provided the small additional clearance I wanted in order to feel comfortable that the decompression cable wouldn't bind. I then did some wiring so that both fans would kick in automatically when the thermostat activates the switch.

The tank slipped on without a hitch. No binding with the new fan, the fan sits just inside the lower ventilation hole on the right side of the tank (when sitting on the bike).

WageSlave screwed with this post 02-05-2006 at 08:19 PM
Old 02-02-2006, 01:43 PM   #29
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Interesting SR, just a different model shroud... not an expensive bit either. How did you come up with it? And thanks in advance for posting pics!

Old 02-02-2006, 09:27 PM   #30
WageSlave
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Interesting SR, just a different model shroud... not an expensive bit either. How did you come up with it? And thanks in advance for posting pics!
Hi Meat',
I'd bought the other parts but wasn't happy with the idea of having to create a penny tech solution for my goal of a second fan. I was looking through the KTM microfiche and saw the smaller fan cap. I noted that the part number for the fan referenced in both cooling system diagrams was the same so I knew that the fan I already had would fit, but would the fan cap work out as I'd hoped? I didn't want to give up on the project so I decided that investing another $4 might pay off. The few times I've bet on horses I've gone with the highest odds, and it's paid off as well.

I picked up some #10 sheet metal bolts and #10 screws today. I pulled the drywall anchor/compression washer/screw attachment I'd come up with and replaced them with these. I'm very happy with how everything turned out. I'll take the tank off either tomorrow or Saturday and take photos, then put them up ASAP.