Old 11-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #76
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,556
[QUOTE=Kai Ju;22754468]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Ummm...no.

If you connect a bulb across the empty fuse holder, it will light up only if one side is hot and the other grounded. Two sides hot or two sides grounded and it will not light up.

My point exactly, and the fuse doesn't care which part of the circuit is grounded/shorted. So unplugging each part of that circuit will point you in the right direction because the bulb will go off when the short has been removed.
Everybody can get a light bulb and some wire while stuck out on the road, not everybody will have access to a meter or know how to use it properly.

My intent was to help this young lady find the cause for her fuse blowing, not to get into a pi$$ing contest with a fellow inmate. (Whose opinions I respect, even if I don't necessarily share them all the time). I'm done now, you have a nice day.
not a pissing contest at all!. I'm just right any you're wrong.

Actually when tracking a blowing fuse I usually use the burn-up-the-fuses technique. You keep replacing them and wiggling stuff and try to get it to blow again. You can usually isolate it, if it is indeed a short, in two or three fuses. You do the likely suspects first (just turning bars lock to lock for example). Some shorts are subtle---a partial short + high beam load for example. For those tracking current across a fuse will be a bigger help. You pick up a drain that won't blow the fuse by itself but shouldn't be there. And then you have internal faults in components that only present an excess load when the bike is running, or being started, etc.

I still haven't looked at that wiring diagram. have you? What does the big fuse feed? Can you get a reversed current through it? This situation is short from a hot to another hot that overloads a fuse.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #77
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,747
It's not true that fuses always blow for a reason. Sometimes they blow for no reason - maybe they just got old or failed, not due to anything with the circuit. Standard handling is to replace the fuse, and if the new one blows, then check for the fault.

In your case, however, something is wrong since the fuse should be an 8 amp. Since you have no documentation why the larger fuse was installed, some detective work is necessary. Were more loads added to that circuit? If not, then something is drawing more current than it should - it's not necessarily a short, and a test bulb won't really find that.

Disconnecting all of the circuits from that particular fuse and then reconnecting one at a time is the way to find the culprit. If you don't have a meter to check the current draw, watching for the fuse to blow again will work.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #78
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
bump: What happened ? Tales of blown fuses, and we haven't heard back...
What tree in Hawaii has leaves that turn yellow or orange in the fall?
Old 11-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #79
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
I have a tree in my back yard that does that... Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall ! (drops flowers 24/7 too)
So all the leaves turn orange at once, like a regular stateside tree changing colors in the fall? This one has really been puzzling me. I don't know much about Hawaiian trees.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #80
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,478
I need to stop falling in love every time I click on this thread..

I hope she comes back. Needs more airhead talk and less trees. (Although HI sounds freaking awesome and I'd love to see it some day.)

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #81
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
No, I mean it's constantly shedding leaves, year round. That said, Hawaii is in the sub tropics and the Big Island goes up to almost 14,000'. There are lots of little micro climates and the state has planted experimental plots in many areas over the years. We have groves of pine trees at about 9,000' and there are apple and pear trees growing above the native Koa forests (a relative of oak trees) at around 6-7,000'. Most of what you see growing in pictures of Hawaii are introduced species... I found live olive trees for the first time just a couple weeks ago!
Ah so. I've wanted to grow olives here but you have to bring them in for the winter. It's do-able with a dwarf species--and a big house. I tried figs but you need a really hardy variety. The ones I had weren't and even rolling them into the garage and wrapping them in blankets (including an electric) didn't work. But I may have let them get too dry. It's tricky. Too cold they die. Too warm and they come out of dormancy, want sunlight, and die.

I'm guessing that without cold weather even apples and pears aren't going to drop their leaves and go into dormancy for the winter. We have both on my block.

This is some sort of Hawaiian tree, but it's showing fall color (recent pic) so I've been trying to figure out what the hell it is.

If they are diseased, the leaves go yellow, not orange. And even something like Forsythia, which is a mass of flowers when blooming, shows some green leaves. I'm stumped.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #82
xombiexplox OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Hello again!

So I took most people's advice and rode it as my daily driver for a few months, and now I still want to hack away some parts. Also, I haven't had the fuse burn out on me yet so that's a good thing I suppose.

I've pieced together a list of parts I want to switch out, cost is just under $2k I thought older bikes were cheap? lol

After falling in love with so many cafe's on this site, and reading through build threads I'm going to start my project in the next month or so, and I'm excited. I think I'll keep my build in this thread to keep the spam down.

Thanks again guys for all of your help!
xombiexplox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #83
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,966
Of course keep the build thread here if that is what you want.

Making changes can cause a problem when things start to not work right. Not sure of what changes you want to make yet. But, say you changed or rebuilt the carbs and rewired the entire bike and added an aftermarket ignition system all at once then discovered the bike won't start? Where do you look? So first suggestion is to make changes in stages and work out each system or area before moving on to the next.

If that makes any sense.

So what changes do you have in mind?

BTW, any pics of you riding your bike yet?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #84
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,069

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #85
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,667
Hey XP, look at this thread. You may spend quite a bit more money as Spencer did by the time you're done. Buy an extra trash can.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #86
benthic
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Hey XP, look at this thread. You may spend quite a bit more money as Spencer did by the time you're done. Buy an extra trash can.
Or you can crash and have the insurance company bring you back to zero;)
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #87
op48no1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Interesting that this bike is for sale on craigslist right now.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/mcy/4280257591.html

Quote:

Under 11k miles on the odometer, and is very well maintained! The wife doesn't want this sitting in our driveway anymore, and I don't even ride it so I'd like to get this bike a nice new owner. Street legal, and it's got current stickers. Very good condition for its age, runs clean and it's got some power! Comes with OEM saddlebags and a few bits and pieces for the extras.

This can be an easy cafe racer project! Would look even better than a fixed up Triumph Bonneville or a Honda CB (in my opinion anway!) I have title in hand, and I'm looking for $4250 or best offer. I'm not in a huge rush to sell it, but I'll probably sell it to the best offer I get.

Let me know if you have any questions, mahalo for looking!

op48no1 screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 10:19 AM
op48no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #88
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Wtf??
Old 01-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #89
op48no1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Wtf??
Sometimes things are not what they seem. Odds of an extremely attractive young woman with no riding or wrenching experience and perfectly clean fingernails buying a vintage boxer and immediately undertaking a cafe conversion on it are... well... slim.

Maybe there's a legit explanation. Draw your own conclusions.

-Henry
op48no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:16 PM   #90
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by op48no1 View Post
Sometimes things are not what they seem. Odds of an extremely attractive young woman with no riding or wrenching experience and perfectly clean fingernails buying a vintage boxer and immediately undertaking a cafe conversion on it are... well... slim.

Maybe there's a legit explanation. Draw your own conclusions.

-Henry
Yeah, you're right about that....wondering if the pic was just to be able to get "help" asap??~!!!

CATFISH mutha fucka get on out of here if thats your end game.