ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #61
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
I have a 2455WT and a 285W.

Are both of these useless for third party maps of South America?

Garmin won't sell me Chile or SA maps on their website.

Anyone with a 24xx that is useful out of the US?

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #62
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergeek View Post
I have a 2455WT and a 285W.

Are both of these useless for third party maps of South America?

Garmin won't sell me Chile or SA maps on their website.

Anyone with a 24xx that is useful out of the US?
I took an old 1450 to Costa Rica that I loaded maps from here...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677587
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #63
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,029
a pile of the garmin 1490t units are being sold by an australian ebay seller here for AUD$88 but not selling to overseas buyers.

he says in the ad they are brand new and have the full garmin warranty which is good value if all legit. i just bought one as a backup as garmin seems to be preventing the upload of custom routes to most of the new garmin nuvi models.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #64
bross
Where we riding to?

Garmin Nuvi car gps as a budget >$250 adv setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
a pile of the garmin 1490t units are being sold by an australian ebay seller here for AUD$88 but not selling to overseas buyers.

he says in the ad they are brand new and have the full garmin warranty which is good value if all legit. i just bought one as a backup as garmin seems to be preventing the upload of custom routes to most of the new garmin nuvi models.
The 2595 works well with routes and has the manual fixed but switchable orientation, vs some of the newer models have an auto orientation which doesn't work on a bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2013, 02:05 AM   #65
ktmgeoff
Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer: 1,403
I wonder what the waterproof cases on ebay work like, says it takes 1450 and up to 2460, priced at $14, only thing is the handlebar mount looks a bit dodgy.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #66
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmgeoff View Post
I wonder what the waterproof cases on ebay work like, says it takes 1450 and up to 2460, priced at $14, only thing is the handlebar mount looks a bit dodgy.
i'd call them more dust proof really. the moment water gets on the screen, it runs down to the lower ridge then seeps inside and eventually it gets wet enough inside to make the gps go crazy. it might work okay if the gps was underneath a fairing enough to not get any rain on it directly?

yes the handlebar mount is useless, except possibly for cruising highways. the only decent waterproofing is the RAM case and ball mount for around $70.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #67
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC View Post
once you've got the route loaded into the Nuvi does anyone know if its possible to get rid of the big flags (or replace them with something smaller) and also the 'approaching' message that appears before every way point?
Yes, this is possible.

You have to manually open up the gpx file and excise them from the code. It's far less bad than it sounds....

In the following code below, the red text refers to the displayed symbol, in this case a small square - remove that wherever you find it. The blue text creats the waypoint, so if you remove that, you won't get the stupid alerts.

This is on a nüvi 1490LMT and the route was created in BaseCamp. Honestly, what is the point of a navi if you can't do the routes in BaseCamp and upload them? Totally defeats the purpose, IMO!

Code:
<rtept lat="46.473191985860467" lon="11.777131017297506">
      <time>2013-08-17T19:55:07Z</time>
      <name>Canazei</name>
      <sym>City (Small)</sym>
      <extensions>
        <trp:ViaPoint>
          <trp:CalculationMode>FasterTime</trp:CalculationMode>
          <trp:ElevationMode>Standard</trp:ElevationMode>
        </trp:ViaPoint>
        <gpxx:RoutePointExtension>
          <gpxx:Subclass>000000000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF</gpxx:Subclass>
          <gpxx:rpt lat="46.473191231489182" lon="11.777108134701848">
            <gpxx:Subclass>02000F9F13011D8C0D00211600001C001200</gpxx:Subclass>
          </gpxx:rpt>
          <gpxx:rpt lat="46.473584175109863" lon="11.77708625793457">
            <gpxx:Subclass>02000F9F13011D8C0D001F00160091530500</gpxx:Subclass>
          </gpxx:rpt>
Old 11-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #68
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

thanks, that is a true geek response and i love it.

but it does reinforce my opinion that while most of garmin's products are pretty good they have no idea on making anything user-friendly. there should be some way to turn off those flags and alerts on the gps. in fact the gps should should probably default to having them turned off, but allowing you to turn them on if needed.

i don't use basecamp as i personally think it could be the most counter-intuitive user-hating piece of software every invented. do you open the gpx file in basecamp and somehow access the coding directly? or did you use an external program?
Old 11-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #69
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
thanks, that is a true geek response and i love it.

but it does reinforce my opinion that while most of garmin's products are pretty good they have no idea on making anything user-friendly. there should be some way to turn off those flags and alerts on the gps. in fact the gps should should probably default to having them turned off, but allowing you to turn them on if needed.

i don't use basecamp as i personally think it could be the most counter-intuitive user-hating piece of software every invented. do you open the gpx file in basecamp and somehow access the coding directly? or did you use an external program?
You'd need to just use a text editor like Notepad to do that kind of editting.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #70
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
I read all the above, thanks to everyone input.

I also was comparing Nuvi's on gpscity and they have more detail than Garmin's website.

GPSCity has a lot of nuvi's with 100 routes on them. I am thing wow this is cool, routable GPS at a low price. Not waterproof thou. After reading this thread I realize that it does not mean you can draw on the computer and download to your gps, that just sucks big time.

I want to explore and draw my routes on the computer, download them to the GPS and go ride that route, come home download my tracks back to my computer. This is what I do with my Nuvi 500, waterproof, 10 routes max with 3.5 screen. Nice little GPS.

How do you find out which units can do this without calling Garmin, waiting for 10 to 30 minutes, then getting someone who doesn't know what you are talking about and then gives you the wrong answer so you will not know that they don't know the real answer. They sent me a email with the units that have routes on them and the info is wrong also. I noticed the Nuvi 500 shows it has 50 routes, wrong. This gives me no confidence in the email list I was sent. Here is the list. DO NOT BELIEVE THIS LIST WITHOUT CHECKING IT OUT SOMEHOW.

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

Garmin automotive devices that are compatible with multiple stop routing allow you to save a certain number of routes for easy access in the future.1 Each compatible device may only store up to a certain number of routes. Please review the list below to determine how many routes your device can store:
The following devices can hold up to 10 routes
  • nuvi 700 series
  • nuvi 705 series
  • nuvi 800 series
  • nuvi 805 series
  • nuvi 1400 series
  • nuvi 1690
  • nuvi 5000
  • nuvi 295W
  • zumo 220
The following devices can hold up to 15 routes
  • Camper 760
  • nuvi 465
  • RV 760
  • dezl series
The following devices can hold up to 20 routes
  • GPS V
  • StreetPilot
  • StreetPilot Colormap
  • zumo 660
  • zumo 665
The following devices can hold up to 50 routes
  • nuvi 500 series
  • Quest
  • Quest 2
  • StreetPilot III
  • StreetPilot 2600 series
  • StreetPilot 2700 series
  • StreetPilot 2800 series
  • StreetPilot 7000 series
  • zumo 400 series
  • zumo 500 series
The following devices can hold up to 100 routes
  • nuvi 55
  • nuvi 56
  • nuvi 65
  • nuvi 66
  • nuvi 2200 series
  • nuvi 2300 series
  • nuvi 2400 series
  • nuvi 2405 series
  • nuvi 2407 series
  • nuvi 2408 series
  • nuvi 2505 series
  • nuvi 2507 series
  • nuvi 2508 series
  • nuvi 2707 series
  • nuvi 2708 series
  • nuvi 3400 series
  • nuvi 3500 series
  • nuvi 3507 series
  • nuvi 3508 series
  • nuvi 3700 series
  • LIVE 1695
  • LIVE 2300 series
  • zumo 350
  • zumo 390
If your automotive device series is not listed above, it does not support multiple stop routing.

With Best Regards,
Kristi
Customer Care - Automotive Team

Garmin International
913-397-8200
800-800-1020
913-440-8280 (fax) Att: Kristi 5677"

Ridin'nFishin screwed with this post 01-31-2014 at 02:05 PM
Ridin'nFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:18 AM   #71
mtaylor
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Now when you say " can hold up to 10 routes"

Does that mean only 10 waypoints?
By which I mean, I plan a trip from New york to Florida, and draw a route with many points that is not direct. Doing this can generate 100s of waypoint / coordinate points.

Or does 10 routes mean I can have 10 full custom routes like the NY to FL one mentioned above?
mtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:50 PM   #72
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaylor View Post
Now when you say " can hold up to 10 routes"

Does that mean only 10 waypoints?
By which I mean, I plan a trip from New york to Florida, and draw a route with many points that is not direct. Doing this can generate 100s of waypoint / coordinate points.

Or does 10 routes mean I can have 10 full custom routes like the NY to FL one mentioned above?
generally speaking, it seems you can have 100 routes stored on the gps for use once you actually import them on the gps.

i'll call this working memory for want of a better term. you can import up to 10 of these routes into working memory so that are accessible quickly. hope that makes sense? in reality, i never have many in the gps as it takes a while to scroll through....

UPDATE ON GARMIN NUVIS YOU CAN UPLOAD A CUSTOM ROUTE FROM YOUR COMPUTER
got the latest from a garmin shop yesterday. after the popular 1450 and 1490 nuvis were phased out, for a year or so garmin ensured that none of the nuvis could accept a custom route uploaded from your computer (although you could knock up a custom route on the gps itself with some models - tedious and not very useful).

i don''t know if they got a lot of backlash from this, but they have since changed their mind. this garmin retailer told me that many of the models will now accept routes from a computer. how can you tell?

go under apps and look for trip planner. he reckons that if the "trip planner" app is there, then you can upload custom routes. if you want this feature, i would still suggest telling the retailer this, and asking if you can return or exchange the gps if you can't upload a file from a PC. keen to hear how people go with this.

the salesman is sure that these are the models that will work: 2457, 2497, 2557, 2597, 2797 and 3597.

B1 screwed with this post 02-02-2014 at 12:12 PM
Old 01-31-2014, 01:51 PM   #73
mtaylor
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Ok so is a route, a custom path, with many points from start to finish.

Or is it basically 2 points (start + finish) saved and the GPS will do the routing between those points on the fly? Based on shortest time/distance..
mtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:34 PM   #74
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaylor View Post
Ok so is a route, a custom path, with many points from start to finish.

Or is it basically 2 points (start + finish) saved and the GPS will do the routing between those points on the fly? Based on shortest time/distance..
either. it depends whether you tell the gps to use direct routing or auto routing in the navigation preferences. i don't the gps making decisions for me or getting hung up on occasional glitches in the mapping, so i use direct routing. this means you need to put a lot of points into the route as it is just composed of straight lines.

generally the auto routing works fine if you are on public roads. once you start to get off the beaten track, it will bugger up once you get on to tracks that the gps won't auto route along. then you need direct routing and lots of straight lines making up the route.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:08 AM   #75
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Another way around it

If you want to ride a pre-planned route that you build ahead of time on your computer there is another method that you can use that will work on any Nuvi that has a memory card slot.

1. Build the route in Basecamp or Mapsource, save it.

2. Copy it over to a piece of software called IMGfromGPX which is found here -
http://www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html
Your file can be either a GPX file or a standard Garmin GDB file.

3. Give it a unique name and Map ID number (look up list of Map ID numbers currently used)
A good list is found here - http://www.javawa.nl/mapids.html
You can use a number somebody else is using, just can't have both maps loaded at the same time.

4. Create the Overlay map. The TYP file will tell how your track lines will look, NT means No Text.

5. Install the overlay map into Basecamp or MapSource (go to the directory where you created it, go to the .reg directory for Mapsource and run install)
(in basecamp, go to the directory where you created it, go to the .gmap (I think) directory to associate it (Sorry, I don't use Basecamp!)

6. Go into Basecamp or Mapsource, select the overlay map to be displayed, select the overlay map to be downloaded to the unit, (if you want to download more overlay maps, select them now), download it to an SD or microSD card.

7. Put the memory card into the Nuvi, go to utilities/configuration/maps/information (based upon a Spanish language unit - I'm in Costa Rica on vacation and don't have any units with me!) and turn on/off the overlay map. It will show your route as a colored line on top of the existing map in the unit. The color of the line is one of the 8 base colors available when you create the route. Some colors show better at lower zoom levels - I think off hand yellow, red, green.

I did some testing on what colors show at what zoom levels on what units -
NUVI 50LM, 1490 - Grey, Cyan, Magenta and Blue show to .8 mile, Yellow and Green show to 5 miles, Red shows to 20 miles, Black to 50 miles+
NUVI 255W, GPSMAP 76cx, GPSMAP 78 - all colors show at all zoom levels

You can have MANY overlay maps loaded at the same time as long as they each have unique names/numbers and the map set to be loaded onto the memory card is created at the same time.

Also note that IMGfromGPX talks about converting tracks - it originally needed tracks to convert - but it has been updated to convert routes to tracks automatically before it builds the overlay map.

You can also tell it to label the tracks/routes in the overlay map with the track/route name - this is what it's talking about when says text/no text.

You can build an overlay map with a mix of tracks/routes, even waypoints.

Waypoints gets harder - each set of waypoints with a different symbol has to be in a separate file before being loaded into IMGfromGPX. You get waypoint symbol, name, and telephone number if it's in the right waypoint field for telephone. Waypoints are searchable.

An overlay map doesn't take ANY routes/tracks/waypoints if your unit supports it - it's a map, remember?

NorthernTraveler screwed with this post 04-13-2014 at 06:25 PM Reason: Added info on colors at what zoom levels
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote