Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
AdvParamedic OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Question Advise for Europe 2014

Hey Family!

So i am from Australia currently living on the east side. I am planning on doing a big Europe trip on a bike in July of 2014. I will be starting in London and go from there. I have 12 months to travel and plan on doing
Europe, South America, China, Mongolia, Nepal, & India so far.

If i make it that far.
I was born in Edinburgh, Scotland so i have a UK passport.

Route:
I do not have a route yet i am still in the really early stages on planning. I will have a general A to B to C route but i will not be planning it down to the nitty gritty roads etc... If anyone has any ideas on a route that they did or reccomend feel free to comment below.

Bike:
So far i have an F800GS registered in Australia. My biggest issue is really deciding if i want to ship it to london and use it for the trip (as it has been lowered and kitted out exactly as i want it for adventure travel) OR
If i want to buy a bike over there and use it for the trip?

I guess things like carnets/insurance oversees/ shipping the bike costs/etc all come into it and i would like to know what others think.

I have many family members over there that would give me an address for buying and registering if i were to buy the bike over there.No problems in that sense. The only thing is that my bike it modified to how i like it and thats the main issue here. I am worried that i will spend my time having to find the right bike over there and doing it up* for adventure travel. not sure...

Will it be much easier to get a UK registered bike through borders as opposed to an Australian tourist imported one?

Gear:
I have most of my gear sorted and have many spairs for my F8 if i chose to take it.

Skills (or lack there of)
I have been training this last year and have done a a few off road training courses just for a bit of extra tips and tricks. I really reccommend the simon pavey off road training course run by compass expeditions.

Funds:
getting there... :)

Film/photography/writing:
I enjoy all of the above and am still deciding wether i want to film the adventure or write a book and fill it up with wonderful pictures of my adventure.

Blog:
I will be writing a blog as i go as i really want to share this experience with anyone who is willing to read :)

So thats me. If you have any advise regarding the topics above i would love to hear from you guys. I am a big fan of HorizonsUnlimited and have done most of my planning etc off their wondrfully diverse and extremely thorough website. I also attended their last meeting in Dayboro, Queensland and it was fantastic!
Old 11-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 598
Hi AdvParamedic,

I don't think it will make any difference whether you have a UK or Oz registered bike but something to consider is the price of the carnet which can be expensive in the UK particularly for India, Pakistan and Iran. Some people get a German one from the ADAC but it is worth finding out how much one will cost in Australia, I presume the Australian RAC will issue one and this might be a deciding factor in which bike you take.

I you plan to end up back in or close to Oz it might be worth shipping your bike over as getting it home will be easier with no need to register it there or shipping back to the UK.

Loads more useful information here if you don't already know about it http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
irishrover
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Great Trip

Just noticed your post, sounds great and I wish you well.
One question though...
Is one year long enough? I started a "trip" in 2001 in Australia and i am still on it now...
Just a thought....
D
Old 11-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvParamedic View Post
Hey Family!

... I have 12 months to travel and plan on doing
Europe, South America, China, Mongolia, Nepal, & India so far...
Hi Para,
it looks like you are in for a big year! 12 months on the road! After a couple of months I'm stuffed.
Are you planning on leaving Aus for good, or will you be returning? Bikes are relatively expensive in Aus, so does it make sense to ship your bike to London for the start? Have you considered starting your trip in Aus? Darwin to Dili is simple and riding through Indonesia is a blast and you are well on the way. You do need a carnet though.
To avoid the PITA with shipping, have you considered buying a bike in America?
Sorry for all the questions.
Regards,
Mark
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:18 AM   #5
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,083
Check this out under "Ride Reports": Tornanti 3 - a fellow Aussie who does relative frequent rides over there.

Glitch can give you some good info more focused on your particulars.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:05 AM   #6
AdvParamedic OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrover View Post
Just noticed your post, sounds great and I wish you well.
One question though...
Is one year long enough? I started a "trip" in 2001 in Australia and i am still on it now...
Just a thought....
D
It's probably not long enough but for the funds that i have and to keep my job back home 12 months is all i have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieMark View Post
Hi Para,
it looks like you are in for a big year! 12 months on the road! After a couple of months I'm stuffed.
Are you planning on leaving Aus for good, or will you be returning? Bikes are relatively expensive in Aus, so does it make sense to ship your bike to London for the start? Have you considered starting your trip in Aus? Darwin to Dili is simple and riding through Indonesia is a blast and you are well on the way. You do need a carnet though.
To avoid the PITA with shipping, have you considered buying a bike in America?
Sorry for all the questions.
Regards,
Mark
To be honest i never thought about doing it that way. I guess that would save on shipping the bike 2ce. I will look into the Carnets for the possible countries that i would eb going through and see what i come up with! I wouldnt buy a bike from the US when i have one here in Aus all ready to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
Check this out under "Ride Reports": Tornanti 3 - a fellow Aussie who does relative frequent rides over there.

Glitch can give you some good info more focused on your particulars.
Thanks it was a good read!

I like the idea of going up to Darwin and then just keep going. it would majorly change my plans but hey! i will just have to budget better :)
Always keen to hear more ideas! thanks for all your help so far!
Old 11-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
AdvParamedic OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvParamedic View Post
It's probably not long enough but for the funds that i have and to keep my job back home 12 months is all i have!

To be honest i never thought about doing it that way. I guess that would save on shipping the bike 2ce. I will look into the Carnets for the possible countries that i would eb going through and see what i come up with! I wouldnt buy a bike from the US when i have one here in Aus all ready to go.

Thanks it was a good read!

I like the idea of going up to Darwin and then just keep going. it would majorly change my plans but hey! i will just have to budget better :)
Always keen to hear more ideas! thanks for all your help so far!

Or possibly fly to Europe and then ride back? who knowss
Old 11-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
EuBiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
great plan but needs a lot of planning and get as much as you can advices from others who did it. my comments:

1. get an easier, "simplier" more conventional bike for the trip, why? in case you need a mechanic or even spare parts...you will find easier than for the F800GS and a mechanic in 3rd wold countries cannot fix the GS easy.
2. try to be south asia before winter i.e. south iran
3. sorry if i put you off but you dont seem a biker for years. a 12 months trip in all those areas is tough and needs great persistance. you will face many kinds of trouble
4. learn to fix as much as you can on your bike
5. make an aggrement with a spare parts shop to provide you with parts when you need them
6. try to find other bikers or people from the countries you will pass

eventhough i seem pessimistic i really hope you will manage to complete your journey

happy riding
EuBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,890
Sounds like a great trip.
Like the previous poster mentioned, keep the bike simple.
There are plenty of nice used DR's and transalps in the UK that can be picked up for a fraction of the cost of shipping your bike.
Buy it cheap enough that if you have to bail, you can dump it.
Don't plan too much, just get to London and head east. If you feel like popping to Ireland for a few days, your more than welcome.

WW
Old 11-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
AdvParamedic OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
Sounds like a great trip.
Like the previous poster mentioned, keep the bike simple.
There are plenty of nice used DR's and transalps in the UK that can be picked up for a fraction of the cost of shipping your bike.
Buy it cheap enough that if you have to bail, you can dump it.
Don't plan too much, just get to London and head east. If you feel like popping to Ireland for a few days, your more than welcome.

WW

Hey Mate Thanks!

Yeah i think i have sorted out a bit of a plan.

Im going to ehad to london and buy a bike over there( or hopefully) before i leave and then jump on it spend a day or two adding power sockets etc and then head off. I like the sound of the DR idea! im a bit of a shortie so it depends how low i can get the seat but otherwise great idea! Thanks for all your help guys!. Love to stop into irland. Il be going to all of britain so hopefully catch up with lots of old friends :)
Old 11-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
AdvParamedic OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuBiker View Post
great plan but needs a lot of planning and get as much as you can advices from others who did it. my comments:

1. get an easier, "simplier" more conventional bike for the trip, why? in case you need a mechanic or even spare parts...you will find easier than for the F800GS and a mechanic in 3rd wold countries cannot fix the GS easy.
2. try to be south asia before winter i.e. south iran
3. sorry if i put you off but you dont seem a biker for years. a 12 months trip in all those areas is tough and needs great persistance. you will face many kinds of trouble
4. learn to fix as much as you can on your bike
5. make an aggrement with a spare parts shop to provide you with parts when you need them
6. try to find other bikers or people from the countries you will pass

eventhough i seem pessimistic i really hope you will manage to complete your journey

happy riding

Thanks for your advice Eubiker. Everyone has their own opinions and i appreciate yours. You have given some great tips and i will definitely take them all into consideration. Cheers