ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2006, 10:13 AM   #16
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,685
I havent riden with Pat, but I have a feeling he's a pretty good rider. I laid the hammer down a few times on the HP2 yesterday, I am really starting to feel good about it. It's a great day when you can run down a fast RX7 on WolfPen and then climb the muddy hills with thumpers in the same hour. The more rock dings it gets the better I am throwing it around. The bike is freaking awesome, a little tricky on slippery down hills with its heft, but awesome hill climbing and dualsporting. Might even try my had a single track when the leaves are gone and the ground is dry.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:25 AM   #17
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
It's a great day when you can run down a fast RX7 on WolfPen and then climb the muddy hills with thumpers in the same hour.

Heck yes! And with style!
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:27 AM   #18
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale KTM
Flux and guys,
I missed you guys again! On Sundays I've got to get church over with before riding(usaully) Sunday I hit the trails around 1pm.I went in off of Nimberwill but went the wrong way.I wanted to go north thru the entire Chat-forest but instead went the wrong way on 28I.The road got rougher and rockier as I went.I must have lost 5lbs sweating! A little too rough and rocky for enjoyment purposes.By the time I came out on Tickenantly(sp?) creek I was worn out and asphalted it home.I poured concrete with my crew until late fri and worked sat morn hard ,maybe thats why I was so beat .Next time I'm there!! Maybe we could even have an ADVrider cook out or something.(in better weather?)
See Ya'll
Killer Whale KTM
Jeff 706-692-9053 office
Hey Jeff, yup anytime you want to ride, just post something up here in the East forums or PM ...someone will see it and want to ride! I am usually good on weekends. We've got wedding shtuff getting scheduled now so that is the only thing I have to work around. Weekdays are hard for me, but I can do short jaunts after 4.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #19
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale KTM
Flux and guys,
I missed you guys again! On Sundays I've got to get church over with before riding(usaully) Sunday I hit the trails around 1pm.I went in off of Nimberwill but went the wrong way.I wanted to go north thru the entire Chat-forest but instead went the wrong way on 28I.The road got rougher and rockier as I went.I must have lost 5lbs sweating! A little too rough and rocky for enjoyment purposes.By the time I came out on Tickenantly(sp?) creek I was worn out and asphalted it home.I poured concrete with my crew until late fri and worked sat morn hard ,maybe thats why I was so beat .Next time I'm there!! Maybe we could even have an ADVrider cook out or something.(in better weather?)
See Ya'll
Killer Whale KTM
Jeff 706-692-9053 office
Hey killer Whale, you rode one of my favorites but I don't think it is 28I. Could be wrong though. I know most of them but sometimes not sure on the numbers. I usually leave acworth and fly up 575 to 108 then take refuge road to jasper on my way to the mountains. We will have to hook up.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:21 AM   #20
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I havent riden with Pat, but I have a feeling he's a pretty good rider. I laid the hammer down a few times on the HP2 yesterday, I am really starting to feel good about it. It's a great day when you can run down a fast RX7 on WolfPen and then climb the muddy hills with thumpers in the same hour. The more rock dings it gets the better I am throwing it around. The bike is freaking awesome, a little tricky on slippery down hills with its heft, but awesome hill climbing and dualsporting. Might even try my had a single track when the leaves are gone and the ground is dry.
I sure would like to see first hand how it handles single track.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:40 AM   #21
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
It's a great day when you can run down a fast RX7 on WolfPen and then climb the muddy hills with thumpers in the same hour.
I so agree. There is something so very, very kool about playing on the dirt, going places that street bikes and cars won't or can't go, and then hitting the asphalt twisties and letting it rip, all in the same ride. I especially enjoyed yesterday on my way home, after doing around 40 or so miles of dirt roads (nothing too hard, mind you, a few small water crossings were the extent of the excitement) and then just nailing the curves on Aska Road, turning on to Newport Rd. and spanking a guy riding an RT1200 on my WeeStrom on the way home. The ability to play in the dirt and then go asphalt twisty dancing is what makes the WeeStrom special to me. I especially enjoy coming down FS 80 from FS 42 to Camp Wasega Road, then just nailing those asphalt twisties, hanging off the bike and screaming thru those curves. Very exhilarating!
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:49 AM   #22
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Still trying to get to the Swinging Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
From 60 and rock creek go towards morganton. Go about 10 to 15 miles looking for doublehead gap on your left. Go down doublehead maybe 2 miles not far. Look for old rockcreek on your left. It almost looks like someones driveway. Stay on this until it turns to fs 333. It looks like you might be going down someones drive way at first glance. Just keep going and you will see the fs 333 sign. keep going till you see a hiking trail . Stop and hike down to your left about 200 yards to the swinging bridge. Sure anytime I can break away I'd love to show you around and maybe you can show me some new stuff.
Thanks for the tips. I took the WeeStrom out yesterday for a nice long (250 mile) ride, which included about 40 miles of dirt. Found Old Rock Creek Road with no problem, you are correct - the farther you go on that road, the more it does look like someone's driveway. Finally made it to FS 333, but that was the problem. It was very, very muddy and soft right at the entrance to FS 333, and even with my new D607s, I knew the Strom would not make it through that mud. I stopped the bike and checked out the surface more carefully, and it looked much worse off the bike than it did on. Having gotten the Wee very stuck in mud before over at the Cooper's Creek area, I really didn't feel like going through that again alone. So I didn't even attempt FS 333 - I knew it was going to be a bad experience if I did.

I think my Yamaha DT250 would make it up FS 333 with no problem, so I'll try it again on that bike next time. Other than the FS 333 problem, the Wee did great off pavement yesterday - I rode FS 42 from Doublehead Gap up to Springer Mountain for the first time, and that was a lot of fun.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:06 AM   #23
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy
Thanks for the tips. I took the WeeStrom out yesterday for a nice long (250 mile) ride, which included about 40 miles of dirt. Found Old Rock Creek Road with no problem, you are correct - the farther you go on that road, the more it does look like someone's driveway. Finally made it to FS 333, but that was the problem. It was very, very muddy and soft right at the entrance to FS 333, and even with my new D607s, I knew the Strom would not make it through that mud. I stopped the bike and checked out the surface more carefully, and it looked much worse off the bike than it did on. Having gotten the Wee very stuck in mud before over at the Cooper's Creek area, I really didn't feel like going through that again alone. So I didn't even attempt FS 333 - I knew it was going to be a bad experience if I did.

I think my Yamaha DT250 would make it up FS 333 with no problem, so I'll try it again on that bike next time. Other than the FS 333 problem, the Wee did great off pavement yesterday - I rode FS 42 from Doublehead Gap up to Springer Mountain for the first time, and that was a lot of fun.
Hey soboy, I found another way to the swinging bridge that may be eaiser. Just north of the dixie depot on 60 take the FS road on your left till it ends. The swinging bridge is about 200 to 300 yards down the trail.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:35 AM   #24
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Hey soboy, I found another way to the swinging bridge that may be eaiser. Just north of the dixie depot on 60 take the FS road on your left till it ends. The swinging bridge is about 200 to 300 yards down the trail.
Sweet! Man, I wish I could go get muddy today! Sun is starting to shine.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:51 AM   #25
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks. I think I know what you are talking about - is the Dixie Depot the convenience store/gas station on 60 a little south of Doublehead Gap Road? The one with the rebel flags? I have seen a FS road just north of there on the left. What kind of condition is that FS road in? Is it ok for a big trailie like my WeeStrom and its street-oriented tires ( D607s)? Or is this a rougher type of road, more suitable for a lighter bike with knobbies?
Old 01-29-2006, 05:02 PM   #26
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy
Thanks. I think I know what you are talking about - is the Dixie Depot the convenience store/gas station on 60 a little south of Doublehead Gap Road? The one with the rebel flags? I have seen a FS road just north of there on the left. What kind of condition is that FS road in? Is it ok for a big trailie like my WeeStrom and its street-oriented tires ( D607s)? Or is this a rougher type of road, more suitable for a lighter bike with knobbies?
Its only about 3 miles long and pretty mild. Take your time and you should be fine. There is a couple of mud holes, but they have a solid bottom.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:17 PM   #27
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Wait til you guys see what I found 5 minutes from the house! Got the Dakar STUCK for 20 minutes by myself in it. Mike, this is territory you would go CRAZY for. I'm not bringing my heavy ass GS through it again, though. I'll be checking it out with the EXC sometime soon.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:39 AM   #28
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Wait til you guys see what I found 5 minutes from the house! Got the Dakar STUCK for 20 minutes by myself in it. Mike, this is territory you would go CRAZY for. I'm not bringing my heavy ass GS through it again, though. I'll be checking it out with the EXC sometime soon.
You did'nt by chance find this good stuff off of mill creek road- sheep wallow road did ya?
Old 02-01-2006, 05:16 PM   #29
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

It is off of Little Mountain Road, somewhere abouts in there. I explored it more on my EXC today after work. It is some good riding, although alot of it is in No Trespassing Land, so I didn't check out too much of the side stuff. Dried creek beds, some 6th gear wide open stuff. Nice creek crossing. Not as big as I thought intitally but a nice place to play in anyway.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:51 AM   #30
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
It is off of Little Mountain Road, somewhere abouts in there. I explored it more on my EXC today after work. It is some good riding, although alot of it is in No Trespassing Land, so I didn't check out too much of the side stuff. Dried creek beds, some 6th gear wide open stuff. Nice creek crossing. Not as big as I thought intitally but a nice place to play in anyway.
Hey Flux, I think I rode that stuff the morning you were suppose to ride a few weeks back. Looked like some sweet stuff!