User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
lancas OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
GS speedo parts

Anyone know where to source new trip meter number gears (in black back with white numbers) for GS speedos? Mine have worn the geared section and keep getting stuck.
lancas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 949
Try Hartmut at Palo Alto Speedo...they MAY sell the gears separately...but most of the time, they just rebuild the whole thing back to stock.
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 931
Wirewrkr

Contact Wirewrkr here on ADV. He is the speedo guy.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrkbukly View Post
Contact Wirewrkr here on ADV. He is the speedo guy.
That would be Wirespokes. See the other thread running - the person you mention passed away last year.
jackd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,976
You're obviously working on your own speedo. I'm guessing something else is wrong if the gear teeth are wearing down. There should be no strain on the gears - and really, they advance very slowly and mostly keep everything aligned. Something has to be really wrong somewhere for them to be unusable. Normally, when the odometers go belly up, the little gear wheel that rides on the metal pot metal gear gets a little chewed up. But a little time spent smoothing it out and cutting off the ragged edges is enough to make it work like new. I don't know that I've ever seen the gear teeth on a number wheel chewed up.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I have a question about regular airhead speedos - Is there a source for the plastic worm gear that contacts the worm gear at the top of the speedo cable? This puppy right here at top.

http://www.pbase.com/dwerbil/image/14562009

When spun by hand, everything else seems to be moving freely and the miles and tripmeter advance. Hoping a clean & lube sorts it out.

Also wonder if the needles can be sourced. The tach has a non-matching needle glued on top the old (broken) one. Functional, but homely.

1976 BMW R75/6 with '78 R100S heart transplant. 1967 Honda CL90 Scrambler project. 2011 LaVita Vespa clone (for the missus)
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I have a question about regular airhead speedos - Is there a source for the plastic worm gear that contacts the worm gear at the top of the speedo cable? This puppy right here at top.

http://www.pbase.com/dwerbil/image/14562009
From what I can see of yours - it looks fine. Is there a defect that doesn't show in the pic?

There are very few parts available for these gauges. Mostly I have to have parts made, make them myself, repair them or scrounge from the junk yard. With the advent of 3D printers, we may see some changes in that situation.

Quote:
When spun by hand, everything else seems to be moving freely and the miles and tripmeter advance. Hoping a clean & lube sorts it out.
What's the problem you're trying to fix?

Quote:
Also wonder if the needles can be sourced. The tach has a non-matching needle glued on top the old (broken) one. Functional, but homely.
If someone has an answer for this one I'm all ears! I'm always interested in sources for parts! There were two different styles of needles and they don't interchange - 74-77 have a black hub with an orange (most have faded to yellow) needle projecting from it. 78 -95 has a black hub with a white needle that crosses the hub and projects a short ways out the back. The white ones are the most difficult for me to repair or replace.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Gnarly Adventurer

Unfortunately, the pic isn't mine. Just the best look at it I could find.

Mine has a tidy little half circle where the gauge gear has been stripped by the speedo cable gear. I read that this can be indicative of the the unit binding, and the plastic worm gears are the weakest link. All the numbers are lined up on the actual digits (not halfway) and I spun almost 5 miles by hand with no hiccups, and I was hoping a clean & lube for good luck would prevent further trouble.

This is all because I recently bought a set of instruments off eBay that were listed in working-but-grubby condition for a pretty good, but not "cheap" price. Upon arrival and inspection it's pretty obvious to me that the speedo hasn't worked in quite a while. I'm trying to get a handle on how much $ it would take to get it operational before I send a pissy email to the guy. An informed level head is usually more likely to get what they want. The tach (electronic w/high beam indicator on the face for my R100S engine) is a hard to find configuration, so I'm hoping to do a partial refund instead of a full return.

I do have the set original to my bike (mechanical tach) that I could cannibalize, but my speedo is iffy and I don't even know if anything is salvageable.

1976 BMW R75/6 with '78 R100S heart transplant. 1967 Honda CL90 Scrambler project. 2011 LaVita Vespa clone (for the missus)
Old 12-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #9
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

If this is all in relation to the /6 with the 78 S engine, then the electronic tach is what you need. When the odometers fail they sometimes jam up and the plastic gears you speak of strip out. Currently, your odometer may be free, but if there's too much play in the odometer (not tripmeter) number wheel shaft, you've got a problem.

I've forgotten how much those gears are - something like $20 each. It's possible one of them is ok. A service is $95, not including parts, just to give you an idea. What did you give for the gauges? Who did you get them from?
Old 12-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
CaptainCrunch
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep, that's the engine. Like I said, this particular tach is tough to find and I hope we can find a solution where he can refund X dollars to cover the parts I need to get it operational, and I fix and keep it. I paid less for the whole unit then the last few tachs of this configuration have gone for by themselves, so I guess it wouldn't be a wash either way. I just didn't get what I thought I was bidding on.

2 more questions, if you don't mind. Is the gear available (I know many of the parts ain't), and who has it?

The seller isn't a regular player on the BMW parting-out scene, but I don't want to call him out in case he's a regular here and we can resolve this amicably.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #11
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

The problem with using a 78 electronic tach and a 76 speedo is the mismatched needles. You can put the white one on the 76 speedo, but the tachs won't interchange.

Get in touch with me about the gear.