ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #31
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
No problems here

7500 miles so far on my 1190R in a little over four months. No problems to date. Its due a service in around 2000 miles so will get the retro ABS fitted plus new tyres.

It has stopped drinking oil and I'm not bothered by the heat of the engine....................................its a motorbike.

Highlights - having the rev limit light flashing red in every gear at night, always satisfying.

Having to hit the oil filler cap with a hammer to loosen it to open - strangely satisfying (especially on a new 16K bike)

Surprising sportsbike riders, especially on the bends - always satisfying
Ducati 998S
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #32
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
5000 Km"s now. Not much ride to have a final review, but the list below has some elements that seems not to be considered in previous post and KTM has to considered for the following models:
- FRONT RIM: "Crap" soft like butter
- FORKS: If you are planning to use this bike for off road, you need to revalve compression, mild valve and rebound damping. In my personal opinion, the 990 R's have better forks.
- FRONT DASH SUPPORT: Not happened to me, but I heard about that problem. The welding part attached to the chasis, is small and weak; with the vibration seems to get broken very easy. That is something to take in consideration if you are planning to do off road. Reinforce that.
- TOP BOLD FROM BACK SUSPENSION AND CHASIS: Seems to be a weak one. A few bikes here in Australia have had that problem.

I love this bike, no regrets at all, but I'm conscious this bike is not the new KTM adventure. Its a different beast!. I used to own a 990 R, and now I'm sure this 1190 R doesn't take me tho the same places.. At least no without some repercussions on the bike.

It's in my opinion, a true contender to the BMW adventure.. More oriented to that market.
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:17 AM   #33
I JET
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by limcheewang View Post
Hi,
I've been riding my new 1190 Adventure (in Singapore) for about 4 days, and it had similar engine shut-off occurrence twice, while riding and clutch-in to change gear. Wonder if you've resolved this issue? One of the Singapore forum mate has similar problem too, and he had rode for more than 6000 km.

Or any folks here have similar issue and know the cause of it?
Hi mate, sorry for the late reply but here is an update on the bike:

1. Bike cutting out completely - the dealer re flashed the ECU and since then it has only happened say once every 10 rides instead of once or twice a ride, may be just a coincidence i'm not fully convinced but they did check all the possibilities and this was what KTM Australia recommended.

2. Brake light flashes when you ride over bumps - They haven't done anything about this, the dealer said that they could replace the sensitive brake light switch on the front leaver but it would most likely continue to occur. I have swapped bikes on several occasions and it is really annoying to follow with the brake like coming on over every little bump. I will ask them to do something about it when my bike goes back in and i wont accept the bike back until it is fixed.

3. Side stand spring fell off and was replaced under warranty a few weeks back. The new one they put on has broken one of the two springs and i'm just waiting for it to fall off now.

4. Two of my indicators were replaced due to moisture developing inside the lens, one of the replacement ones failed and only barely flashes. They put one of my old ones back on while they order another.

5. My horn stopped working a week ago.

I'll be sending it back to the dealer for a few days to address these issues. I'm still very much enjoying the bike however. Purchased new in July and currently have just over 10,000kms. Hard to get sick of a 150hp Motard on Steroids
1991 Yamaha 50 → 1989 Yamaha 80 → 1989 Honda XR80 → 1988 Honda XR100 → 1993 Honda XR250 → 1997 Honda XR400 → 2007 KTM 450 EXC → 1994 Honda RVF 400 → 2010 BMW S1000RR → 2010 Triumph 1050 Speed Triple →
2012 BMW S1000RR --> Bike of the Month DEC/2012 <--http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bm...er-2012-a.html Current Bike → → 2013 KTM 1190 Adventure
I JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:12 AM   #34
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Went for a ride on the weekend and woke to find an oil leak under my 1190T

Is coming from the vent hose with the bolt stuffed in the end.

Anyone else gd this happen and know the cause. Taking it back to deaker who mentioned a hose update, which seems odd to me.

Also had the side stand spring fall off.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:01 AM   #35
rc51owner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post

[picture deleted]

Anyone else gd this happen and know the cause. Taking it back to deaker who mentioned a hose update, which seems odd to me.

Are you sure that it is oil? That looks like coolant to me. The hose it is coming from could be the overflow hose from the coolant system.

Cheers,

M
rc51owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #36
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah could be it had an oil texture though
Old 11-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #37
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Clutch fluid maybe

Ktm mineral oil is red. Coolant shines more , at least on my garage floor.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #38
pinglow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
https://m.facebook.com/Ktm1190Advent...user=699253164
pinglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #39
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 956
Looks like that problem with the airbox not sealing can get pretty serious....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6QjMx5De-QA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That Unifilter kit is looking like a must-have.
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:22 AM   #40
Mowster
Stressed Member

Oddometer: 443
Got the unifilter kit installed at 2200kms, but only done around 200kms dirt since then, for total of 8500kms.....

Sorry to hear about getting stranded so badly - seems like the stock filter was woefully inadequate

Seems like any bike made to do big miles/dirt would need to have the very best air filter possible, from the factory

I've pulled the trigger to trade the 2013 for a 2014 R model - sure hope the next batch has a little more refinement.

Disclaimer; I bought into the orange kool-aid coz my bmw dealer let me down so badly...shame - the bmw was a great bike....
Old 11-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #41
NKL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
Looks like that problem with the airbox not sealing can get pretty serious....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6QjMx5De-QA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That Unifilter kit is looking like a must-have.
Piece of styling junk, the 950/990 was a desert racer so it worked, the 1190 is just style over function and not very stylish at that, and KTM's response is appalling and I'm sure is going to bite them on the arse.
NKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #42
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Finally had a chance to have a closer look and discovered the radiator overflow bottle is empty.???

Stupid design means I Can't check radiator level without removing the fuel tank.

Not very happy. Bike is back yo dealer on Tuesday.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #43
paturoa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Finally had a chance to have a closer look and discovered the radiator overflow bottle is empty.???

Stupid design means I Can't check radiator level without removing the fuel tank.

Not very happy. Bike is back yo dealer on Tuesday.
Yes you can check it, simply look from the rear, through the radiator air vent in the middle of the tank. Edit: my anti freeze is green.
paturoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #44
Nerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
There is a high-low level window on the front next to the radiator! My coolant os green also, and it was emptied. I think from the factory standard loose hose clamps, but I will keep monitoring it.
Nerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #45
paturoa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerb View Post
My coolant os green also, and it was emptied
I regularly check my oil and coolant levels. Mine has only "used" coolant once and the level was quite low in the tank. I topped it up and it hasn't changed since.
paturoa is offline   Reply With Quote