ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #16
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2moto View Post
thats a great offer i appreciate it!! Drz350 or 400?
drz 400.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #17
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
drz 400.
awesome! I mapped it out, it looks like you have a ton of off road options?
New2Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #18
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

From my research and questions here and on other boards I have determined that this is the proper list of initial gear that I will need to remain very safe(er) and pretty comfortable. I am going to search for a few good brand choices of each so I can know what the general price is before going to the shop to purchase said gear. I am also looking for my road gear to look like semi normal average clothing so I can ride to meet customers and do other business stuff :

Full Faced Helmet at least DOT approved (with mulitple density lining or something I still need todo more research on this): I will be looking for the brands in the $200-$400 range intially. From what ive read it seems this should provide as much saftey as the top of the line $6-700 helmets but just wont be as comfortable

Body Armor Jacket of some kind (I have done the least research on this so far so links and tips on brands or diff styles if there are such would be much appreciated)

Kevlar Jeans for road riding (brands and price range TBD)

Gloves - Leather or Kevlar lined with knuckle protection..I am prepared to spend top dollar on these as I make a living with my hands

Boots - Someone recommended these ://www.google.com/#q=Alpinestars+Scout+boots because I need some boots that look like semi regular shoes

-

Off-Road Riding Pants or pants designed more for offroad use than road

Goggles - So as not to scratch up my faceplate if when riding off road

Knee/Shin Guards - for off-road use only right?

-

Hand-Guards

Sturdier Handle Bars - to prevent bending the stock ones when dropping the bike during my first time off road (and prob many other times)

Storage Rack - Is it more stable to ride with a backpack or to ride with the same weight on a storage rack on the back of the bike?

Tires - depending on the state of the old ones

(I figure the above vehicle upgrades will make for a better and safer learning experience while possible uping the resale value?)

Let me know what brands you like! I am ready to spend what I need to be safe and comfortable but dont want to over spend on uneeded bells and whistles

Also please let me know if there is something I dont have on the list that I should or something that I do have on the list that you think I should'nt.

Thanks so much!
Old 11-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #19
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 162
There's a ton of online places to buy all of that stuff. I recommend you visit a shop near you to try on a few things and just get an idea of sizing, style, and features. There's so much variety it gets overwhelming pretty quickly.

Here's one place to start... they try everything on themselves and give detailed reviews of stuff... http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

While I like backpacks, a rear rack with a tailbag is much more comfortable than wearing a backpack all day. There are some types that are easily removed if it's stuff you need to carry around.
peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #20
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peejman View Post
There's a ton of online places to buy all of that stuff. I recommend you visit a shop near you to try on a few things and just get an idea of sizing, style, and features. There's so much variety it gets overwhelming pretty quickly.

Here's one place to start... they try everything on themselves and give detailed reviews of stuff... http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

While I like backpacks, a rear rack with a tailbag is much more comfortable than wearing a backpack all day. There are some types that are easily removed if it's stuff you need to carry around.
Thanks! As a small business owner I want to support a local shop but also don't want to pay unfairly high prices since my newb'ness shows pretty heavily. I will do some searching on that site to get some general pricing ideas :) Thanks again!
Old 11-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #21
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Alright I am getting a little information overload! haha I know there have been some suggestions on all of these items but heres the thing...This is what they recommend for the msf class
"2. All students must provide and wear the following personal items for all on-motorcycle instruction:

Over-the-ankle footwear. (not cloth, canvas, etc.)
Long non-flare denim pants or material of equivalent or better durability.
Long-sleeved shirt or jacket.
Full-fingered gloves, preferably leather."

Now since they have an extensive discussion on gear during the classroom time I was wondering If I need to have my boots, pants, jacket and gloves that I will be using in the future before taking the msf class? Or can I get buy in the class with heavy jeans, hiking boots and cheapo MX gloves? What do you recommend? I would hate to get injured during the class!! lol
Old 11-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #22
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Moto View Post

Now since they have an extensive discussion on gear during the classroom time I was wondering If I need to have my boots, pants, jacket and gloves that I will be using in the future before taking the msf class? Or can I get buy in the class with heavy jeans, hiking boots and cheapo MX gloves? What do you recommend? I would hate to get injured during the class!! lol
You can take the class using those items with no problem.
patmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #23
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,487
Quote:
i just found out that my friend has a 2008 yamaha xt250 for sale under 2,000 miles for $1800...any opinions of this option?? Seems like a fair trade for older technology and 3k cheaper
Buy it
Old 11-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #24
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Alright I am getting a little information overload! haha I know there have been some suggestions on all of these items but heres the thing...This is what they recommend for the msf class
"2. All students must provide and wear the following personal items for all on-motorcycle instruction:

Over-the-ankle footwear. (not cloth, canvas, etc.)
Long non-flare denim pants or material of equivalent or better durability.
Long-sleeved shirt or jacket.
Full-fingered gloves, preferably leather."

Thats pretty standard - what I wore. Wait until after you take the class, your instructors may have some good advice. Glad you located some boots that will work on and off the bike!

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #25
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Signed up for MSF class Jan 4/5...Goin to get the bike a few days after :)
Old 11-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #26
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Signed up for MSF class Jan 4/5...Goin to get the bike a few days after :)

Almost 3 years ago to that date I did exactly the same thing….

Bought my bike on the way home from the last class day.

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #27
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 284
Full Faced helmet the Fly trekker is a good inexpensive on/off road helmet

Body Armor Jacket to start with and for exploring dirt roads a street jacket with built in armor would be good. More aggressive riding would need MX type gear.

Kevlar Jeans Good for road riding not good for dirt

Gloves - Street gloves will work off road too, just make sure you get a good pair where the material doesn't bunch up in your palm when holding onto the grip. I like Fox dirtpaws for off road riding.

Boots - Scout boots are good all around but can get hot in the summer. For more aggressive off road riding get MX boots

Off-Road Riding Pants I use over the boot pants so the water from puddles doesn't run into my boots. In the boot pants are better for racing or more aggressive riding

Goggles - Make sure they fit tight to you face with your helmet on. Some goggles are too big for the eye openings in some helmets.

Knee/Shin Guards - Do not ride without them! Also get elbow guards. If you go down, your knee or elbow will be the first thing to hit the ground.

Hand-Guards I use Cycra hand guards.

Sturdier Handle Bars - The stock ones bend easy. You can get an aluminum 7/8 bar to fit the stock mounts just buy a good quality one.

Storage Rack - Get a rack to carry stuff. Get a backpack, like a Camelback, to carry water too.

Tires - Too many choices here, you need to get ones to match the type of riding you end up doing.

Learn how to fix a flat tire and carry a repair kit with you along with some Basic tools.

A couple other places to order parts from - motorcyclesuperstore and rockymountainatv
RimBenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #28
New2Moto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks for the tips!