ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #151
Bark
Panic Dancer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Kenai Peninsula Alaska
Oddometer: 66
Good work!
I figured Johann would have made boots his first priority but he probably needs to choose carefully because of the way he treats them.
Bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #152
Yukon Johann
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerXC View Post
The new bike look great and Yukon J is looking pretty snazzy in that new gear. You guys have definitely made lemonade out of the lemons this past year (no reference to Daisy's colour).
The new bike has been great so far...especially after we got it raised! the bike feels like it's even more peppy, and shifts smoother.

on the ride back from picking up the bike from the dealership, I jokefully said the bike should be named Daisy, and it stuck!
__________________
Take care,
-Yukon Johann
Ride2Alaska Fundraiser
Yukon Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #153
Yukon Johann
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Able View Post
Good work!
I figured Johann would have made boots his first priority but he probably needs to choose carefully because of the way he treats them.
Lately I've been using my Military grade "Commando Boots" that are left over from the Academy

Still waiting for some steel toed riding boots to come out...
__________________
Take care,
-Yukon Johann
Ride2Alaska Fundraiser
Yukon Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #154
windowto
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLee View Post
I did a bit of research on speed wobble and discussed this with my experienced mechanic here in Seattle. There are many factors that contribute to it. Higher suspension bikes are more susceptible. Load the bikes up for a long trip and throw in a few frost heaves.. who knows... I am in the process of seeing if I can get a steering damper installed.
Yes, there is a steering damper made for the Dakar, it is made by RalleMoto in Australia. However, the bad news is that it will not prevent the wobble. I have a 2012 Sertao, which is basically identical to the Dakar, and it wobbles in high speed. It is, however, solid, if I am riding two up. So adding weight on the back makes it stable in my particular case. I have installed the steering damper and it does nothing to the wobble. The bars are not moving perceptibly, if at all, during the wobble. We are trying to figure out on the Sertao thread what might be causing this. Some people reported that the wobble was gone after they have installed aftermarket handle bars. For some it got solid after removing or changing the end weights (vibration absorbers). I personally suspect that it is the weights. I will experiment one day, when I get motivated.

Good luck either way! Sounds like you guys make the best of your lives:).
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #155
G-Mac
Gnarly Adventurer
 
G-Mac's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Peterborough Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 380
Could the Dakar plastics not be fitted onto the new ride. In the pictures they still look in good shape?
My boy is 11 and he and I have been riding for a few years now. He has big plans of us riding out west when he gets older, as do I. I try not to let on that I'm not worried as all parents do about riding. But it has been such a wonderful part of my life how could you not share that experience. He is always trying new ways to strap bags on his CRF 100.
He says the Dakar is his choice for a bike when he gets older. However I have herd him say he is going to buy my F800gs off of me when he is old enough.

Either way I think you guys had one heck of a great experience. The good and the not so good.
ATGATT. Is the only way to travel.
Cheers
__________________
G-Mac
Take the road of greatest resistance
2013 F800GS All Around Awesome Triple A
2002 XR250R Dirty Girl so fun to ride
1997 KLR 650 miss the old girl. Never washed!
G-Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #156
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures
 
GrizzLee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Pacific NorthWest
Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Yes, there is a steering damper made for the Dakar, it is made by RalleMoto in Australia. However, the bad news is that it will not prevent the wobble. I have a 2012 Sertao, which is basically identical to the Dakar, and it wobbles in high speed. It is, however, solid, if I am riding two up. So adding weight on the back makes it stable in my particular case. I have installed the steering damper and it does nothing to the wobble. The bars are not moving perceptibly, if at all, during the wobble. We are trying to figure out on the Sertao thread what might be causing this. Some people reported that the wobble was gone after they have installed aftermarket handle bars. For some it got solid after removing or changing the end weights (vibration absorbers). I personally suspect that it is the weights. I will experiment one day, when I get motivated.

Good luck either way! Sounds like you guys make the best of your lives:).
Yes, and the steering damper is a pretty pricey accessory. I'm still doing some research. I've began to take notice of some others and reviews mentioning the wobble above 60 mph on the Dakrs/Sertao... I've got my son to commit to some off road training this spring if all goes well. That will help him as well.

We only get one life. I try and pass that kind of thinking on to my boy. As a a parent, you want it to be a long and fulfilling one. A life w/o some sort of risks is pretty boring IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mac View Post
Could the Dakar plastics not be fitted onto the new ride. In the pictures they still look in good shape?
My boy is 11 and he and I have been riding for a few years now. He has big plans of us riding out west when he gets older, as do I. I try not to let on that I'm not worried as all parents do about riding. But it has been such a wonderful part of my life how could you not share that experience. He is always trying new ways to strap bags on his CRF 100.
He says the Dakar is his choice for a bike when he gets older. However I have herd him say he is going to buy my F800gs off of me when he is old enough.

Either way I think you guys had one heck of a great experience. The good and the not so good.
ATGATT. Is the only way to travel.
Cheers
Yes, the Dakar plastic can be fitted on the new bike. One side is pretty scuffed up. The front fender and the left side are in really good shape. We both agree that we really like the yellow color scheme better. We have plans for some custom "RubiKon Adventures" Decals for the tank. Black on yellow just looks great IMHO.

It is good that you have introduced your son to riding at a young age. I wish I had done the same. I was too busy doing other adventures when my boy was younger. Mom and I took him on his first back pack trip along the coast when he was 18 mos old. It was all downhill from there. Now that the knees are starting to show some signs of wear and tear, I am taking more and more to the bikes and the kayaks. I suspect that soon he will be moving on with girls, college and such. I've had a good childhood with him. I have no regrets... just one close call.

An ATGATT EVANGELIST LIVES HERE!!!!

Tell your son that that F800 GS is a great choice. I've been eyeing the new F800 GS Adventure myself. Not sure why we can never be satisfied with one bike. Human nature I suspect. But the 800 is not such a big ox like my R1200. For more weekend rides, I think I may enjoy that bike better.



Have a happy holiday everyone. I will be planning my adventures for next year. May the wind be to your back, the weather be favorable and the rides memorable.

-Grizz
__________________
Take Care, -GrizzLee
"Nature Sets the Boundaries; We choose to cross"
Blog: RubiKonAdventures
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #157
windowto
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLee View Post
Yes, and the steering damper is a pretty pricey accessory. I'm still doing some research. I've began to take notice of some others and reviews mentioning the wobble above 60 mph on the Dakrs/Sertao... -Grizz
GrizzLee,

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to talk you out of the steering damper. In fact, the damping action at the bars feels kinda nice. I am sure it would give your son more confidence in off-road conditions. I am just trying to prevent disappointment, if you get your hopes too high (like I did) as far as the high speed wobble is concerned. The damper is not going to help with it because the bars are not really moving much (if at all) when it happens. I am also NOT saying that there is no solution. The fact that the bike (my bike) is rock solid with the weight of a passenger in the back is encouraging. I am not sure if it's the weight distribution that helps or the lower tail end geometry. I also mentioned the end weights on the bars as another suspect. Many Dakars are reported to be wobble free. So I think it has to do with individual handle bar/ bar weights combinations etc. Don't give up on this model, it's a great bike. I am sure the winning configuration combination can be found. And, if your son going to ride off road, the damper investment might be a nice addition.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

windowto screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 06:47 PM
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #158
Noone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sitting at a Cross Roads lookin' for a sign
Oddometer: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Johann View Post
Still waiting for some steel toed riding boots to come out...
For your consideration: Boots with fiberglass toe caps or some other composit, instead of steel. I find my toes don't get as cold in the winter as they normally did with steel toed boots.
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014