Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #31
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesaintsfan View Post
The Montana, Monterra, and 62stc leave a lot to be desired.
The Monterra isn't even released yet.
The Montana (and presumable the Monterra) uses the excellent rugged mount for power.
The 62s has the functionally identical 78s as an alternative and it does have the HD power connector.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #32
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf View Post
ZUMO is basically a Street unit, and can be a good choice if you only ride on about 10% of the roads which are paved on this Planet. The Zumo uses Routes and can convert a track to a Route but to me it just is not the same.

The Montana so far has held up fine for me, no issues that I have seen others having. It is a really nice GPS, and it can be used Vertically, GPS's Vertical ( Portait Mode)GOOD, Cell Phone pictures and movies shot Vertically BAD, Turn your damn Camera sideways people.

The Buttons on top of the 78 works out fine, definitely not an issue for most as your hold the unit, fingers behind and use your thumb for button functions.

What ever you end up with learn it, use all the time in your car, I have seen way to many people buy their GPS only to turn it on for a once a year ride and can't figure it out. So use it to learn it, not to find your way to your favorite store or Pub, but learn how the tracking works, etc.
The Zumo is not just a Street GPS. As a Zumo 660 and a Montana owner I can say that I haven't had one dirt road on my Montana that the Zumo hasn't had on it. I use the Zumo more than the Montan cause I thinks it's easier to navigate and more user friendly. And like I said it has had every dirt road on it than I have ever gone on. Now if your doing single track and goat trials your not gonna find those on the Montana either.. That's been my experience.. If you want some great GPS advice look up username Riverpilot. That guy is the GPS guru and helps with product and map development with Garmin.. He was the one that convinced me not to waste my money on TOPO maps..
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #33
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
The Zumo is not just a Street GPS. As a Zumo 660 and a Montana owner I can say that I haven't had one dirt road on my Montana that the Zumo hasn't had on it. I use the Zumo more than the Montan cause I thinks it's easier to navigate and more user friendly. And like I said it has had every dirt road on it than I have ever gone on. Now if your doing single track and goat trials your not gonna find those on the Montana either.. That's been my experience.. If you want some great GPS advice look up username Riverpilot. That guy is the GPS guru and helps with product and map development with Garmin.. He was the one that convinced me not to waste my money on TOPO maps..
You do realize of course that it's the Maps loaded on the GPS that make the determination as to whether you see a road in a particular location - not the GPS model.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #34
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
You do realize of course that it's the Maps loaded on the GPS that make the determination as to whether you see a road in a particular location - not the GPS model.
Gee Dan, you planning to give away all our secrets?

Sent from my Monterra using Tapatalk
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #35
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,881
I didn't know I wasted my money getting Topo maps. I wonder why I use them so much? Maybe because City Navigator just doesn't have all the roads and trailsI would like to ride on.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #36
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I didn't know I wasted my money getting Topo maps. I wonder why I use them so much? Maybe because City Navigator just doesn't have all the roads and trailsI would like to ride on.
I have topo on a Montana and City Navigator on the Zumo and like I said I have yet to find a road on Topo that I haven't seen on City Navigator. Only thing it doesn't have is all the topo lines. YMMV. Mine doesn't. Not saying Topo isn't good just saying City Navigator is "THAT" good..
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #37
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,059
Advantages Zumo Vs Montana Vs 62S

Quote:
I have topo on a Montana and City Navigator on the Zumo and like I said I have yet to find a road on Topo that I haven't seen on City Navigator. Only thing it doesn't have is all the topo lines. YMMV. Mine doesn't. Not saying Topo isn't good just saying City Navigator is "THAT" good..
Just in case, a warning: don't have both Topo and CNNA enabled at the same time on one gps because CNNA hides all other map detail. It's the highest in the map hierarchy.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #38
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,192
Quote:
Now if your doing single track and goat trials your not gonna find those on the Montana either.. ..
As stated, nothing to do with Montana, it is the maps that YOU load.

For single tracks, try Roads & Rec. It has all the single tracks that were shown on the 1980's 1:100,000 topo maps.