Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #61
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Picking up the 990 Tuesday and it looks like a CJ Relocator and Black Dog Skid Plate are the first two mods.

Brown Town screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 10:03 PM
Brown Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #62
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Sounds good. Don't forget suspension. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RIDE THAT THING FAST OFF ROAD WITHOUT SUSPENSION WORK.

It'll bottom way too easily and jack you up. Superplush is having 15% off labor for new customers currently.

Enjoy and keep the rubber side down.
grant22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #63
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant22 View Post
Sounds good. Don't forget suspension. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RIDE THAT THING FAST OFF ROAD WITHOUT SUSPENSION WORK.

It'll bottom way too easily and jack you up. Superplush is having 15% off labor for new customers currently.

Enjoy and keep the rubber side down.
Wll do. I'm waiting to move so as soon as I get up to Seattle I'm going to hand her off to Alex at Konflict.

I noticed you have the KTM frame protectors, were they super easy to install?
Old 11-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #64
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

As easy as it gets
Old 11-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #65
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
As easy as it gets
Done and it was stupid easy. Interesting design. Hope they don't trap dirt behind them defeating their purpose.

On to bigger and better things. I picked up the BDCW relocator and skid plate. The relocator calls for red thread locker on certain parts. I'm curious if red is necessary because of the action of the centerstand or if blue is sufficient? Should I be using heat to remove the original bolts?

Also, when I upgrade to taller suspension are there different length center/sidestands for R height 990's?
Old 11-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #66
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Orange Noob

I'm sure it will trap some dirt, especially gritty mud, but that thing is there to keep the scuffing to a minimum. That's how I see it at least.

Regarding the thread lock, there's the right answer, the wrong answer, then my answer: I use blue cuz it's what I have and it has never let me down. In case of stock bolts, I've never needed heat to remove any of them.

As far as height of side stand and center stand, I've heard of two approaches: replace with similar year 'S' components OR remove your sidestand and center stand, take them to a welder, have them extended (tell them what you're trying to achieve so they can make them strong enough), then you can paint or powdercoat.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #67
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm sure it will trap some dirt, especially gritty mud, but that thing is there to keep the scuffing to a minimum. That's how I see it at least.

Regarding the thread lock, there's the right answer, the wrong answer, then my answer: I use blue cuz it's what I have and it has never let me down. In case of stock bolts, I've never needed heat to remove any of them.

As far as height of side stand and center stand, I've heard of two approaches: replace with similar year 'S' components OR remove your sidestand and center stand, take them to a welder, have them extended (tell them what you're trying to achieve so they can make them strong enough), then you can paint or powdercoat.
I used blue and will check frequently. Fairly simple install. The hardest part is torquing the two bolts on the far left while the stand is removed from the bike without yanking on the sensor switch.

Skid plate was a breeze to put on. One complaint I've heard about the BDCW SP is that there are no drainage ports. My thoughts are that ports=snags and that draining the plate is as easy as riding up a hill.

I also added a TT cylinder guard which requires reuse of the frame/sub-frame bolt but it's not quite long enough in my opinion (M10x23) so I ordered a longer upper sub-frame bolt from ktm parts (M10x28) just to be safe. Hopefully it works.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #68
DRTII
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
I've read a lot of 990 threads and this stands out as one of the better "what you really need" posts. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Ok, so if you're going to be doing that type of riding, here's a few things to consider:

Before you spend the bux on a damper, ride the piss out of that thing before you buy one. I'm a dirt rider and both my EXC's have steering dampers. As much as I've ridden my Baja off road, 4000 miles worth, I'm not seeing that I need a damper yet, and I ride it pretty hard offroad. Your circumstances may be different tho.

Something I think you'll DEFINITELY want are adventure style footpegs. I just sucked it up and bought the fastway ones. They are very nice. You pay for it but buy once cry once, right? There are other more affordable options, tho.

A good way to go for your rotopax and luggage combo might be Hepco Becker racks, rotopax mounts (from a dude here), rotopax mounted up, then soft luggage/bags outboard of those. That way you get to cover both bases somewhat compactly.

The bash plate will be a good idea. I didn't think I was gonna need one, then I experienced what I CAN get the 990 into (rock crawling) and bought one soon after.

Start thinking about a shorty windshield. Offroad when hitting whoops or a g-out, your helmet will probably make contact with the windscreen. The moose racing one is no worse wind-wise (opinion) than the stocker, but it's chopped down, and for $55, it's almost a no risk purchase.

Try your aux led lights in the dark before you go buy some rigids and what not. I've ridden with them offroad and they are more than adequate.

Consider buying some Double Take mirrors. Self explanatory when you see their site.

Consider an upgraded saddle. One that's good on road as well as off road. I think the stock baja seat is fine for offroad (standing, right?), but inroad it's a 100 mile seat. Many here like to buy Renazco seats, and I'm sure they're great. I bought my friend's used Corbin and recovered it at a jet ski shop here in Havasu. I like it a lot for on/off road.

One last thing, if you want the dirtbike look (I did) or you may actually see mud, think 'high fender.'

The nice thing is the Baja comes with what I call the 990 Adventure 'Starter Kit.' So you already get a lot of the nice accessories to get you going.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #69
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update

After riding in sand for a few days I can say I'm very surprised at how solid the bike feels without a stabilizer. Only one time in deep sand did the bars whip and try to toss me down and only one time at around 45mph did the tail wag a little. I kinda miss being able to feel all the little stuff that isn't there with a stabilizer.

I'm so impressed with the suspension compared to the F8 mush. I can't imagine what the bike is going to feel like after a respring/revalve.

In the mail: Rally Raid Windscreen and mirror relocator/folding mirrors from ktm twins. The stock screen with XD4 is crazy buzzy. If I duck a little the air smooths out and if I sit up straight the air smooths out. Hopefully the RR sorts this out–if not, I'll try a moose.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #70
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

After your suspension is done, you won't believe it's the same bike.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #71
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
After your suspension is done, you won't believe it's the same bike.
I can hardly wait. It's scary how much I love this bike already.