Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #226
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Keep life simple and you'll still continue to explore.
To hell with the Jones and all their crap.
Don't buy a house or new car = debt slavery.
Eat simple.
Buy ALOT less as having things does not bring happiness.
Save your $ and explore.
After this time away from the US, you'll be very aware of all the advertising onslaught you get when back.
Throw away the TV and be happy with your existing equipment.
If you do settle with a women make sure she's 100% on the same page or she will squash your dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Smitty View Post
Work is a 4 letter word but a means to an end. I am damn lucky to be where I am in life at my age.

The blog is a battle but I know in the end it is for me and family so that keeps me going. I am just shy of a week behind now but I keep a journal to keep it all as real and accurate as possible. I am also not a real stickler about proof reading or punctuation as I am sure you have noticed. It is for me to remember the highlights and others to get some information. I am not writing a book here.

Thanks for following along and the positive words. I am already scheming my next adventure!

To ride or not; if a person doesnt go to AK in their life they are missing some of the most amazing nature to be seen in the world. It is a very special place!

I do have a mac book pro and it is holding up like a champ after 2 crashes. If money were no object I would get a mac book air. Once this hard drive takes a crap in mine pro I will be replacing with a solid state.

I do have a 3l Tourtech jerry can(mounted on non-exhuast passenger foot peg) which is enough to get me out of a jam but fuel has not been an issue. I am not sure yet what I would get rid of but something. I am like a girl with a eating disorder that looks in the mirror and always sees a fat person; every time I look at my bike I just see too much stuff. No matter how much stuff i get rid of I always see myself as a fat girl. From seeing others I am on the middle to light end but it is still too much!!! Smaller tank bag comes to mind. I hate my current one. Smaller back pack for day hikes.

Just point it south and make a list of places you don't want to miss. Planning in my opinion is a complete waste of time b/c the plan changes daily. You gotta be dynamic or you will miss more than you see!

Thanks again for following. No plan for from Florida yet. Maybe visit my sister in VA. Its all up to US Customs!!!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #227
dutch2004
Dreaming the dream...zzz

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Eat simple.
Save your $ and explore.
After this time away from the US, you'll be very aware of all the advertising onslaught you get when back.
If you do settle with a women make sure she's 100% on the same page or she will squash your dream.
Very well said!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #228
AK Smitty OP
Self life coach

Oddometer: 318
[QUOTE=Wickedadv;22219408]Oh and Smitty, you always have a place to crash with us in Maine. We will even place tourguide. :)

Wicked thanks for the offer. I like to believe after 23 years in Maine I still know my way around and all my extended fam is still there. If I get back I will be sure to let you know and grab a beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch2004 View Post
hey, Smitty! I haven't been to ADVRider for a long time. Riding life too far off for me with Esposa and Ninos (to use your line). But today I had a look over here again to continue dreaming if nothing else. I read through your report without stopping. This is what dreams are made of, man!! Thanks!
Thanks dutch always encouraging to hear. My dream is unfinished. It is a fluid dream and can change but I know that I need to at least chase it some more...

I am here: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...f53b74b2cb510d
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #229
AK Smitty OP
Self life coach

Quote:
I still vividly remember the day I had packed up and was heading north from a year of living in Mexico...back to the US. I keep think fuck I don't want to leave and head back to that consumption and work obsessed pit. But alas I needed $ and it wasn't happening in Mex. I was changed forever by the trip and the things that seemed important are not. I'm working on a plan to return an I'm guessing you'll do the same.
Quote:
Eat simple.
Save your $ and explore.
Eakins reposting that Montanita post just had a big effct on me! Thx I had forgotten my own words.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #230
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Eat simple.
Save your $ and explore.

Wise words Bill!

My time in Central America was limited but there has not been a day go by without thinking of the trip and wanting to go back... The sex / quiting the job / leaving comment AK mentioned was bang on.

Great RR AK! I got in late but just finished and thoroughly enjoyed it. I know they can be a ton of work, so just letting you know it was enjoyed!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #231
AK Smitty OP
Self life coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Wise words Bill!

My time in Central America was limited but there has not been a day go by without thinking of the trip and wanting to go back... The sex / quiting the job / leaving comment AK mentioned was bang on.

Great RR AK! I got in late but just finished and thoroughly enjoyed it. I know they can be a ton of work, so just letting you know it was enjoyed!
Thx man. Did I miss someting? What do you mean when you say "The sex / quiting the job / leaving comment AK mentioned was bang on." When did we talk about sex?

I agree with living "simple" but that word's meaning varies widly for many people. We say simple but when guys here buy badass and sometimes expensive motos we . hmmmmm I know I know motos are always an exception haha.

I think I live pretty damn simple but I know that toys with motors bring a smile to my face. The more I travel it seems I fall into the trend of the less material things I desire even more than desire the less value they seem to have to life. But damn I like cool motorcycles!

I have learned a lot about my self in the past few years. Most if not all of that learning was done by getting out of my comfort zone. I am truly a contradiction. I am an "analytical dreamer"! I operate on an engine designed by logic but fueled by dreams, adventure and adrenaline.

My inner struggle of what to do next continues while I forfill obligations at work made for time away. One thing is clear to me and that is living a "traditional lifestyle" is not in my near future if in my future at all. I like the sounds of that.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #232
AK Smitty OP
Self life coach

New Video - Guatemala

Video one repost:

My First Project from Joshua Smith on Vimeo.

VIDEO 2 GUATEMALA

Guatemala from Joshua Smith on Vimeo.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #233
AK Smitty OP
Self life coach

Honduras Vid

HONDURAS from Joshua Smith on Vimeo.

Hope to have the rest on my vids done before I leave again to finish South America in Dec or Jan.

Gave my notice at work last weeek and it felt reallllllllll good!!!!

Old 09-24-2014, 10:47 PM   #234
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Where ya starting off at? I'll be starting in Columbia on thanksgiving. Maybe I'll get a military transport ride fit my bike. I hear they do it for all the ADVers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #235
AK Smitty OP
Self life coach

I may have a few connections for you on that!! Recipe starts with:
1- Coffee Protest
2- Popayan local gal that thinks anything is possible
3- Amazing Airport fireman that wont tank no for an answer.
4- and most importantly has to be your Birthday Day!!

Stars aligned on that one for sure. Often flash back to the moment of me dozing off on a C-130 with my bike strapped down next to me. Totally surreal and seems like a lifetime ago.

My original plan was to ship to Colombia in Nov but now looks like late Dec. Whats your plan roughly? Can PM me if you prefer.

Shipping to Bogota? Where is your bike now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
Where ya starting off at? I'll be starting in Columbia on thanksgiving. Maybe I'll get a military transport ride fit my bike. I hear they do it for all the ADVers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-26-2014, 10:32 PM   #236
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Plans

Bike is in Portland but loads up on a ship in Tacoma Nov 6 arrives in Cartagena on Thanksgiving. I looked at flying from Vancouver BC with the bike but cost twice as much. My plan after that is head in a southerly direction
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #237
AK Smitty OP
Self life coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
Bike is in Portland but loads up on a ship in Tacoma Nov 6 arrives in Cartagena on Thanksgiving. I looked at flying from Vancouver BC with the bike but cost twice as much. My plan after that is head in a southerly direction

Well if you take your time through Colombia we could easily run into each other. Hope to be wheels on the ground no later than second week in Jan. Trying for sooner. I'll boogie right along to Montanita Ecuador for 2-3 weeks of Spanish lessons and surfing.

Not to be a pessimist but expect your bike to be late just kinda how it works.

Keep me posted and maybe we can get into some dirt in Peru and beyond.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #238
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Stop by and see us in Huanuco in Peru!

Here is a video my son made from our last tour in Peru to make your mouth water:

Toby

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #239
junkyardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Smitty View Post
Well if you take your time through Colombia we could easily run into each other. Hope to be wheels on the ground no later than second week in Jan. Trying for sooner. I'll boogie right along to Montanita Ecuador for 2-3 weeks of Spanish lessons and surfing.

Not to be a pessimist but expect your bike to be late just kinda how it works.

Keep me posted and maybe we can get into some dirt in Peru and beyond.
I really enjoyed this RR, and am looking forward to the rest of S.A.!
Hurry down there, dang it. Post up lots if you can.
junkyardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #240
AK Smitty OP
Self life coach

Mouth officially watering! Thought I would be on the road next month but the man has his hooks into me until mid Dec.

Cant wait to visit you guys! Have you saved in my Adv Contacts.

See you in late Jan or Feb!

[QUOTE=charapa;25259473]Stop by and see us in Huanuco in Peru!

Here is a video my son made from our last tour in Peru to make your mouth water: